Animal sightings near NEF since McDermotts Hiring

Look @ the range maps I posted above. It's because there is a population around the Rochester (& in your case, the Brockport) area that you may have encounterd them... Or a timber in some other region of NYS?

Some of the big rattlers were out of that Rochester area, eastern massasaugas.

And no, they are NOT "all over the ADKs". Yes, Lake George is ADK, but part of the isolated population is in the Taconic Mts., which borders on & includes some of the ADKs

There are only three types of poisonous snakes in NYS:

Eastern massasauga

Timber rattlesnake

Northern copperhead

"There are only three species of venomous snakes living in the wilds of New York (many other kinds may be found in the homes of private individuals and, occasionally, escapes occur!). These are the timber rattlesnake, the massasauga (erroneously called "pygmy rattler"), and the copperhead. All three are uncommon."

Copperheads are only VERY limited range in the far DownState, Catskills area. ALL very uncommon and in isolated populations. You two fellas, just happen to be be close to, or have been close to two isolated areas for poisonous snakes in NYS... The Taconic Range and the Albion/Brockport/Rochester & Niagara Escarpment populations of massasaugas.

Northern Copperheads even rarer:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/44646.html

nortcopp.gif

FWIW, I stayed @ the Herpetology Holiday Inn Express. ;-)

Really... My kid was so obsessed with this schit.. Lived and breathed the field guide... Like I said, they flipped out @ his school when he caught a rat snake during recess. Those bastages (the snakes, NOT the Catholic school teachers) look venomous, but are harmless (possess small amount of negligible venom). Early on they can look like copperheads, but copperheads are only in far DownState Illinois, not in my area here, which my Son in Grade 2 had already knew:

I've got many friends who hike the Adirondacks quite frequently. I know a few 46ers. They post pics of rattlesnakes on many of those trails, so I think it's safe to say they're all over.

I've personally never seen one, but I don't hike.

I've got many friends who hike the Adirondacks quite frequently. I know a few 46ers. They post pics of rattlesnakes on many of those trails, so I think it's safe to say they're all over.

I've personally never seen one, but I don't hike.

I'd like to see them and the NYS DNR probably would too. "All over" is pretty general of you mean Eastern ADK/Taconics.

Sure they weren't rat snakes? Rat snake will mimic a rattlesnake.

Here in Illinois there is a fox snake, type of rat snake... They also rattle.

http://inhs.illinois.edu/animals_plants/herps/MassFox.html

"Many snakes, including the fox snake, can make a rattling sound, but only rattlesnakes have a very obvious structure (Fig. 1) made of a horny material similar to fingernail at the end of the tail. In very young Massasaugas, the rattle is a simple structure, yellow in color (Fig. 2). Segments (or rattles) are added each time the snake sheds its skin. An adult snake may have seven or more rattle segments (Fig. 3), although terminal segments can be lost as a result of injury or irregular shedding. The Fox Snake lacks a rattle. Its tail ends in a sharp point (Fig. 4), unless damaged. Fox snakes and many other non-venomous snakes will shake their tails when threatened. If the tail happens to be close to dry leaves or a cardboard box, for example, it can make a sound similar to that of a rattlesnake."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

How can you report an Not Reported occurrence?

Yeah... You dispute the range... ;-)

:-P

The data through the years is obvious... If any were sighted above the Catskills... A few would have been documented. A "no occurance" could be one that is later identified as another type of snake.

Until otherwise documented, certain soecies are not in range. Simply, not common.

I'd like to see them and the NYS DNR probably would too. "All over" is pretty general of you mean Eastern ADK/Taconics.

Sure they weren't rat snakes? Rat snake will mimic a rattlesnake.

Here in Illinois there is a fox snake, type of rat snake... They also rattle.

http://inhs.illinois.edu/animals_plants/herps/MassFox.html

"Many snakes, including the fox snake, can make a rattling sound, but only rattlesnakes have a very obvious structure (Fig. 1) made of a horny material similar to fingernail at the end of the tail. In very young Massasaugas, the rattle is a simple structure, yellow in color (Fig. 2). Segments (or rattles) are added each time the snake sheds its skin. An adult snake may have seven or more rattle segments (Fig. 3), although terminal segments can be lost as a result of injury or irregular shedding. The Fox Snake lacks a rattle. Its tail ends in a sharp point (Fig. 4), unless damaged. Fox snakes and many other non-venomous snakes will shake their tails when threatened. If the tail happens to be close to dry leaves or a cardboard box, for example, it can make a sound similar to that of a rattlesnake."

I am no expert, sir. I'm just a lifelong resident of the Adirondack foothills who's heard about rattlesnakes in the Adirondacks for my entire life.

Where the Taconics come close to the Adirondacks is in Washington County - which is a tiny fraction of ADK.

I am no expert, sir. I'm just a lifelong resident of the Adirondack foothills who's heard about rattlesnakes in the Adirondacks for my entire life.

Where the Taconics come close to the Adirondacks is in Washington County - which is a tiny fraction of ADK.

Yes... And my point. That fraction does have a Timber population... But only that fraction of the ADK. It was isolated through geological events. Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yes... And my point. That fraction does have a Timber population... But only that fraction of the ADK. It was isolated through geological events.

But my point is that I've heard of rattlesnakes being northwest of Washington County (Warren County, Essex County).

Tongue Mountain is well known for having timber rattlesnakes and it's in Warren County, near Lake George.

From wiki - "The area is also known for its population of timber rattlesnakes. These are large snakes some approaching 5 feet (1.5 m) in length.[5] They enjoy the shelter in the wooded areas but also enjoy basking in the sun on exposed rocks."

But my point is that I've heard of rattlesnakes being northwest of Washington County (Warren County, Essex County).

Tongue Mountain is well known for having timber rattlesnakes and it's in Warren County, near Lake George.

From wiki - "The area is also known for its population of timber rattlesnakes. These are large snakes some approaching 5 feet (1.5 m) in length.[5] They enjoy the shelter in the wooded areas but also enjoy basking in the sun on exposed rocks."

Yes... Tongue Mountain is an isolated population, but only there.

When I think "all over ADK"... I think... From St.Lawrence Valley, through North Country. They simply are not there.. just southeastern fringe, Tongue, Lake George, Taconics border.

I know, I know... We can argue all day, but as the ADKs go... That is like considering Lake Champlain as a 6th Great Lake. And yes, there is some valid argument to it, but it is wacko. Take that, coming from a wacko. ;-)

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/outtakes/encounter-with-a-timber-rattler

Interesting read. FWIW.