Marcus Pollard - option as TE?

bflo83

The Colts released Marcus Pollard today: http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=2724

He's been around a while - what do you think of him as a good veteran security blanket for JP? I don't really know how much he has left. I'd still prefer Bubba Franks or, to a lesser degree, Becht from the Jets but Pollard has always been a steady player. Thoughts?

If we had more salary cap space, sure...as it stands, LT is our first priority before we can even think about getting any other FAs in here. It all starts with the O-Line, and I see the left side of it in shambles.

IF we can get a LT in here though, then I'd love to see the Bills go after Pollard.

If we had more salary cap space, sure...as it stands, LT is our first priority before we can even think about getting any other FAs in here.  It all starts with the O-Line, and I see the left side of it in shambles.

IF we can get a LT in here though, then I'd love to see the Bills go after Pollard.

I'm quoting this as agree with it.

The Colts released Marcus Pollard today: http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=2724

He's been around a while - what do you think of him as a good veteran security blanket for JP? I don't really know how much he has left. I'd still prefer Bubba Franks or, to a lesser degree, Becht from the Jets but Pollard has always been a steady player. Thoughts?

259478[/snapback]

At the risk of sounding redundant (thanks Joe Six Pack), by all means, if the money is there, Marcus Pollard and Anthony Thomas would be great additions to our roster...I see Pollard as slightly more of a need! Franks, IMO, is overrated! Becht is a nice player, but we already have 3 nice tight ends...if we add a new one to our roster, is should be one with some big play potential, and who is money in the red-zone...

At the risk of sounding redundant (thanks Joe Six Pack), by all means, if the money is there, Marcus Pollard and Anthony Thomas would be great additions to our roster...I see Pollard as slightly more of a need!  Franks, IMO, is overrated!  Becht is a nice player, but we already have 3 nice tight ends...if we add a new one to our roster, is should be one with some big play potential, and who is money in the red-zone...

259493[/snapback]

I don't think Franks is overrated but I do think he will end up being overpaid as a marquee free agent TE. My concern about our TE situation is that we have our top two coming off knee injuries which does not make me too confident about the depth. I also think it would be helpful to a rookie QB to have a dependable TE in the mix.

LT is definitely our top priority - I still hope the Bills can pull off the Travis for Shelton swap.

I think we may be fine at TE if Campbell recovers fully. If JP plays well, Mark will have a spectacular year. Then again, JP is a rookie and will look only to Lee and be tempted to chuck it his way regardless of coverage.

I like Pollard - he would be a great signing. The bills really need to do something at TE because you dont know if the recovery from the injuries will be complete. We know Malarky likes TEs and wants to get them more involved in the O.

I dont think Pollard would break the bank - there should be plety of room for him & addressing the O line. (Im still hoping shelton deal comes through)

I like Pollard - he would be a great signing.  The bills really need to do something at TE because you dont know if the recovery from the injuries will be complete.  We know Malarky likes TEs and wants to get them more involved in the O.

I dont think Pollard would break the bank - there should be plety of room for him & addressing the O line. (Im still hoping shelton deal comes through)

259550[/snapback]

Mularkey likes TEs? ummm have you looked at the reception totals the Steelers TEs had under Mularkey as their OC?

You the bills could:

- Move TT to Left Tackle

- Draft Spencer for Center

- Bring in a LG like Marco Rivera

- THen you bring in Pollard....who will give Teague the "chip help" on that side if he is having troubles with his guy....

That might be a viable option

259591[/snapback]

I'm a huge Chris Spencer fan, I think he's capable of dominating his first year in the NFL...I'm just not that confident that TT can take over the LT spot without a problem.

You the bills could:

- Move TT to Left Tackle

- Draft Spencer for Center

- Bring in a LG like Marco Rivera

- THen you bring in Pollard....who will give Teague the "chip help" on that side if he is having troubles with his guy....

That might be a viable option

259591[/snapback]

You planning on playing a lot of two TE sets? As typically you want your TE on the right side as when the QB drops back to pass, he is facing the right sideline. As a result of lining up the TE on the right side your QB would have two options on his initial post snap read. If we line up the TE on the leftside it gives Losman less options on that intial read and might cause more time in the pocket which can also increase the chance of him getting sacked.

I couldn't disagree more......

Euhus, Peters & Campbell = 1 big mediocre TE sandwich

259787[/snapback]

The Bills don't utiize the TE position much anyway, so I don't know if it matters. Despite the odd trick play, their offense is as predictable as the sunrise.

The Bills don't utiize the TE position much anyway, so I don't know if it matters.  Despite the odd trick play, their offense is as predictable as the sunrise.

259798[/snapback]

Part of it was the design of the '04 offense. I have a feeling Mularkey & Clements are salivating at the prospect of finally getting an NFL caliber TE on this offense.

Part of it was the design of the '04 offense.  I have a feeling Mularkey & Clements are salivating at the prospect of finally getting an NFL caliber TE on this offense.

259801[/snapback]

I hope so. But going with JP might confound. Last season, the B'gals TE production dropped in half as Palmer was learning to see the field. Their trio of Reggie Kelly, Matt Shoebel, and Tony Stewart are decent enough pass catchers and blockers.