Last Record Theatre location to close its doors

ricojes

I remember being a regular there years and years ago. An end of an era, but probably more surprising that it lasted this long.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/06/closing-sole-remaining-record-theatre-location-represents-end-era/

Hey! I use to work at the McDonald's right near there. Back in like '97 Amherst was declared the safest place in America or something and someone did a drive by shooting of that Record Theatre right after

I remember being a regular there years and years ago. An end of an era, but probably more surprising that it lasted this long.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/06/closing-sole-remaining-record-theatre-location-represents-end-era/

That sucks! Everytime I am in town I took advantage of their 20% sale on everything on Saturday mornings. It was great.

Cheap vinyl galore

• 2 weeks later...

RT was good, but I miss Play It Again Sam on Elmwood.

This totally reminded me of making trips to "Home of the Hits" to stock up on vinyl back in the day.

Wondering now if someone can tell me the name of an old record shop in Niagara Falls, NY - it was in a large, dilapidated building in the industrial part of town when I visited sometime back around 1990 - literally rain water was leaking on to their merchandise. But if I recall correctly, they had achieved landmark status despite the local residents objections and it couldn't be torn down. I remember the outside of the building being covered with haphazardly nailed colorful wooden boards. But I can't remember the name of this place to save my life - maybe someone can help me out and tell me if it's still standing.

Edited by coloradobillsfan

What was the address? Street name?

No idea. I remember there weren't any other retail establishments nearby. It was in a bad area of town, mostly industrial. It was actually one of the last places you would think you would find a record shop.

I'm starting to think even the landmark status didn't even save this place lol. The outside of it looked like it was a homeless shelter, so it probably didn't survive, but the landmark status I remember reading about in the paper (probably courier express back then) gave me hope it might still be there.

Edited by coloradobillsfan

Bumping this once, to see if anyone can tell me the name of that Niagara Falls record store. Been racking my brain all weekend...

I kno what store u r talking about, been there many times as a kid. My father owns the record exchange and knew the owner of that NF store very well. I believe his name is jerry... I shot my dad a text asking him, let u kno when i get a reply.

The old hippy dudes name was Ted, the name of the store was Zoundz 2001

Edited by PRBills

Awesome, than you so much PRBills! That is exactly the place I was thinking of.

The building (house actually now that I look at it!) still exists per google earth, but it's not clear if it's still open as a store.

Tried calling the phone number listed on the FB link but got a 'no longer in service' message: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zoundz-2001/209777372365784

Also found this web site with info that it was open as recently as 2014: https://www.jigidi.com/jigsaw-puzzle/AE36T6V6/Zoundz-2001

If anyone here happens to go by, please let me know - I would definitely make a trip back there on my next visit back to WNY

Awesome, than you so much PRBills! That is exactly the place I was thinking of.

The building (house actually now that I look at it!) still exists per google earth, but it's not clear if it's still open as a store.

Tried calling the phone number listed on the FB link but got a 'no longer in service' message: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zoundz-2001/209777372365784

Also found this web site with info that it was open as recently as 2014: https://www.jigidi.com/jigsaw-puzzle/AE36T6V6/Zoundz-2001

If anyone here happens to go by, please let me know - I would definitely make a trip back there on my next visit back to WNY

U r welcome my friend. My father and I rarely talk, besides the obligatory "happy fathers day" text, this was the first time i communicated with him this year. Although it felt like sitting in the waiting room at the dentists office (sorry teef) waiting for a reply, i will text him again and find out if the store is still open and what his number is.

I kno what store u r talking about, been there many times as a kid. My father owns the record exchange and knew the owner of that NF store very well. I believe his name is jerry... I shot my dad a text asking him, let u kno when i get a reply.

The old hippy dudes name was Ted, the name of the store was Zoundz 2001

Any chance this is the same record exchange as the one that was on Main Street in Williamsville?

I used to ride my bike there with paper route $$. Bought my first vinyl there.

Any chance this is the same record exchange as the one that was on Main Street in Williamsville?

I used to ride my bike there with paper route $$. Bought my first vinyl there.

Lol yup same one. Its located on Delaware Road in Tonawanda now, over by the canal

My wife's first job was downtown @ library, BECPL. She worked in music department. People would come and sit w/set of headphones tied to phonographs up front. She would load the records and flip the sides. She laughs, the head of the music department was a real stickler. The department head would make all the homeless guys make appointments, and wear proper clothes like shirt and ties. One guy "Mr. Johnson" would always request Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly." Half way in, he'd get up and start dancing... Would drive the head of the department nuts! Then he would snap his fingers to change album sides. LoL

"The game he plays he plays for keeps

Hustlin' times and ghetto streets

Tryin' ta get over

(That's what he tryin' to do, y'all)

Taking all that he can take

Gambling with the odds of fate

Tryin' ta get over

Tryin' ta get over

Tryin' ta get over

Tryin' ta get over

Woo, Superfly"

• 2 weeks later...