"Keep it Simple" new rallying cry for 2017 defense

Ryan's 'exotic' looks, continually put someone in a position to fail. The better QBs took enough time to see who that was, and let them do so.

Schwartz used the front four to stunt quite a bit, while occasionally throwing in a corner/safety/lb blitz in the mix. The main point being that the front four were pretty much always putting pressure on, and not being sent into stupid coverages, just to try and do something different.

Pettine even had better results than Rex. You have to have some stunts and unexpected Blitzes or you are too predictable.

Brady always figures out our D. With Schwartz, he just threw it quickly and the D line was irrelevant. The recipe to beat Brady has always been pressure but it has to be mixed up a lot and you can't put your corners 10yds downfield. Unfortunately I expect 0-2 against the Pats again.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot will go to health/talent on the field.

Not to totally excuse wanny but he had an injured mario, injured kw, if I recall an out of shape dareus and that other dude that flopped as a free agent at DE. When the whole house is built on the foundation of pressure from the front four and you are getting none, you look historically bad. That year saw similar from spagnolo in New Orleans who took Brady down with the same scheme but access to the NASCAR package of guys with the giants prior.

Simple can be great if you have the talent to out play the opponent. But simple and lacking skill is the combo for historically bad outcomes.

This is the first defense of Dave The Stache i have ever read. Although likely not your intention : )

I was watching Frazier when he was being asked about the rotation.

He winced a pinch i think.

But its a method that works.

feed the smart guys though. Kyle comes to mind

wrapping up tackles can make a world of difference

k.i.s.s.

Pettine even had better results than Rex. You have to have some stunts and unexpected Blitzes or you are too predictable.

Brady always figures out our D. With Schwartz, he just threw it quickly and the D line was irrelevant. The recipe to beat Brady has always been pressure but it has to be mixed up a lot and you can't put your corners 10yds downfield. Unfortunately I expect 0-2 against the Pats again.

projecting already my Friend?

BB is in your head bruh

I don't believe that Frazier is just saying the right things at this point. The team will make fundamental changes in how they practice and game plan. We have the personnel to be a top 10 defense this year. If the offense can be the ball control offense that they are talking about I really think the defense could be well above average. I love what I'm hearing thus far. Just hoping the Kool Aid guy doesn't wreck my house running through the front door!

Should've just kept Schwartz... But that horse is mutilated.

True, but what they will be implementing is going to work great as well. It cracks me up how folks are whining about simple, are the same that bashed Rex's dumpster fire for being to complex. Simple is good, attack, kill everything that moves, wrap up and tackle usually works well.

I think that might be better phrased as "simple isn't necessarily good".

I don't think there's any doubt that an effective, simple defense where everyone knows their job and executes to the whistle, can be more effective than a more complex defense where players are still trying to figure out their role when the ball is snapped and it goes downhill from there.

When the Houston D went from 29th in 2010 to 4th in 2011 with the arrival of Wade Phillips, several players mentioned "he simplified a lot" as a key reason for the turnaround.

I suspect one could say a similar thing about the 2014 (del Rio) to 2015 (Phillips) Denver turnaround

The point being, simple isn't necessarily better (also Wannstache), but when it's a quality, effective scheme, it is.

Good point !!

That great Denver defense that won the SB is a perfect example

It reminds me of two other things. Wannstedt's simple defense that was simply terrible and Schwartz simple defense that was simply great. Which one are we going to get?

I'm pretty sure that Schwartz had a little bit more talent on his defense , if I remember correctly not only we lead the league in sacks but didn't everyone on that front 4 made the pro bowl?