Does Evans start instead of Reed?

Grant

So, who do we go with?

I say we start Reed, and move him to the slot in 3 wide packages. Evans hasn't proved he's better than Reed yet, and since he's a rookie, I don't think he should be given the benefit of the doubt as far as that's concerned.

So, who do we go with?

I say we start Reed, and move him to the slot in 3 wide packages. Evans hasn't proved he's better than Reed yet, and since he's a rookie, I don't think he should be given the benefit of the doubt as far as that's concerned.

19314[/snapback]

Hell Evans didn't show to be better then Sam Aiken. I definately start Reed and put Evans in on 3 WR sets but give Bobby Shaw a nod too. As to me that first drive against Detroit showed what this offense should be. A slow methodical move the chains offense.Yes, it's nice to have someone like Evans who could take it to the house if gets in the open field but until he can prove to be a guy that get seperation and catch the ball consistantly I say meet the benc Lee. I was also mildly surprised we didn't see Evans used in the return game. I know he wasn't much of a returner at Wisconsin but this is the NFL, if you're not starting you should be on special teams IMHO.

So, who do we go with?

19314[/snapback]

Reed is listed as the starting WR opposite Moulds on our depth chart. In three receiver sets because of Evans speed and the preference of Reed for the slot, i think he gets that duty when we go 3 WR.

Really? Why?  He was drafted because Reed couldn't hold the #2 spot. So you bench the guy that was drafted to be the #2 instead of letting him get Live reps?

19318[/snapback]

Couldn't hold the #2 spot? Moulds was hurt from gave 5 on last year and defenses knew it, so Reed never really had chance to grow into the #2 spot as there was no viable #1 opposite of him...not to mention it generally takes WRs a few years to learn the ropes.

Evans will take time to develop and until he proves otherwise Reed should and will be the #2 WR in 2WR sets.

People's wanting Evans to step right into the starting lineup are more a product of their hopes than reality...the irony is that if Evans gets thrown to the wolves as a rookie and doesn't produce right off the bat people will call him a "bust" too when it most likely is simply a young WR not being ready to move into a starting spot.

That's my thinking, too.

Reed has been shat upon A LOT this offseason because he alone didn't carry the offense last year.

People will go up and down to make excuses for Drew Bledsoe, but no one realizes that we were without our number one receiver for most of the year (since Moulds wasn't at 100% after the Bengals game).

I think Reed could very well become a formidable Hines Ward-type receiver, and we'll see a lot more production out of him this year.

I'm excited about Lee Evans, too, but he isn't ready to start immediately.

I agree that Reed will be the starter and Evans will be the # 3 receiver when they go 3 wide. Evans will be good possibly great in the NFL, but he too has to develop. Remember, it took Moulds & Price 2 full seasons until they really started to contribute.

Evans has struggled to get separation from DBs in short routes during preseason. Clearly he's not ready to be a starter. I think he'll come in as an outside receiver in 3 receiver packages, particularly when he gets to run a fly route.

He does have a great attitude and is working to address his weaknesses, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him gain more playing time by the end of the season, but he's just not ready to be a starter now.