Tom Donahoe's possible motive...

I think TD is driving everybody nuts with his inactivity in the free agent market because he wants the best value he can get. Looking at Jennings' durability and Williams' age compared to their potential open market value doesn't seem to be in the best interests for the Bills.

Jonas & Pat 'say' they want to stay here in Buffalo but realize that they could get much more from other teams that are willing to overpay. The Henry for Shelton trade would have been great for us but, alas, was not meant to be.

One potential candidate I'd like to see the Bills sign is Jay Fiedler at backup QB. We could sign him for cheap and he's not a bad QB. I wouldn't worry too much about Donahoe not doing anything yet.

I think if he finds someone available that we could use that is worth the money that we can afford to sign that wants to sign with us, then that person will be signed.

Excellent post.

258231[/snapback]

Exactly. TD did not try to sign those guys b/c he knew that what he would be willing to pay would not be neverly enough when compared to the open market.

While I love Pat Williams, I just don't think the Bills should pay what he would need in order to stay a Bill. I don't even like what I have seen from Anderson so far but he was a rookie and the Bills didnt spend a 3rd b/c they think he is not starter material. That sadi I need to see it and expect that Edwards will start the season as our starting DT.

As far as L OT, I don't know who it will be but Price is a possiblity.

Exactly.  TD did not try to sign those guys b/c he knew that what he would be willing to pay would not be neverly enough when compared to the open market.

While I love Pat Williams, I just don't think the Bills should pay what he would need in order to stay a Bill.  I don't even like what I have seen from Anderson so far but he was a rookie and the Bills didnt spend a 3rd b/c they think he is not starter material.  That sadi I need to see it and expect that Edwards will start the season as our starting DT.

As far as L OT, I don't know who it will be but Price is a possiblity.

258240[/snapback]

Every time Edwards was on the field last year, he made things happen. I love big Pat, but they can't break the bank for him. Edwards will be fine, and so will Anderson.

Every time Edwards was on the field last year, he made things happen.  I love big Pat, but they can't break the bank for him.  Edwards will be fine, and so will Anderson.

258265[/snapback]

Up until last year, I would have been totally against replacing Pat with Ron Edwards. But you are so right, Edwards really was a play-maker last year for us when we plugged him in at DT, which dictates to me that he is ready for a starting role. Why sign a DT when we have one who has done everything he can to show he is ready to dominate for us?

I think TD is driving everybody nuts with his inactivity in the free agent market because he wants the best value he can get. 

258222[/snapback]

F/A has been going on for a WHOLE 8 hours? If TD's "inactivity" is driving anybody nuts, maybe it is because they are nuts! :D

Good God--a whole almost 9 hours and no word.....panic, panic, panic, panic.....so far we have lost a QB that had taken us as far as he could...and not overpaid for a 3/4 time LT (who is really about 1/2 time left tackle when you consider his readjustment games after injury) and a 32 year old DT whose tackle numbers dropped 35% this year from the last two years....and I am not so sure we will lose both of them...since I am not John Clayton

I guess I am okay with the strategy so far.....

Every time Edwards was on the field last year, he made things happen.  I love big Pat, but they can't break the bank for him.  Edwards will be fine, and so will Anderson.

258265[/snapback]

good call, I remember in about '99, we we're running a 3-4 defense....we had Ted Washington anchoring the middle of our line....occasionally he would be spelled by a young Pat Williams...Well, I remember that everytime he went in there he made things happen, just like Edwards does now.....like you said, you gotta love Big Pat but, you have to make sure that you don't overspend for a 33 year old DT when you have a more than adaquate reserve like Edwards

good call, I remember in about '99, we we're running a 3-4 defense....we had Ted Washington anchoring the middle of our line....occasionally he would be spelled by a young Pat Williams...Well, I remember that everytime he went in there he made things happen, just like Edwards does now.....like you said, you gotta love Big Pat but, you have to make sure that you don't overspend for a 33 year old DT when you have a more than adaquate reserve like Edwards

258283[/snapback]

I don't know about that. From what I saw, Edwards made some highly visible and excellent plays rushing the passer on 4-5 occasions and made a few stops behind the line of scrimmage but was far, far inferior as far as being a line stuffer to Phat Pat. To me, there was still a very noticeable difference whenever Pat or Sam left the field in that department. Edwards showed some skills in the pass game but I am not sold on him at all for replacing Williams on a full time basis.