Go ahead - Make My Day

I saw this this morning. The strange thing is the get away driver was charged with first degree murder. :huh:

Okie law: if someone dies during your commission of a felony, you're charged with murder one. Apparently even if you drop someone off to commit a burglary and drive away with the promise that you'll pick them up later.

That's going to be a good one in court. Was she in the process of committing a felony after she drove away but before she picked them up? Was she no longer committing a felony, having left the scene of the crime and not doing anything illegal at the time of the shooting? Or does her dropping them off and leaving constitute felony conspiracy? I suspect it would be the last one...but I won't bet on anything in a state that's so weird it has a "Make My Day" law.

When my I took my concealed carry/pistol permit course, the guy constantly told us that you needed to retreat as far as you could into your house(but not required to leave your house) before it's acceptable to use deadly force. Even protecting pets or property could still get you jail time for using deadly force in some cases.

So confronting these guys in your hallway, according to my concealed carry teacher could get you ending up with the charges.

Anyone have any differing opinions or experiences than what I've been taught? Just curious.

When my I took my concealed carry/pistol permit course, the guy constantly told us that you needed to retreat as far as you could into your house(but not required to leave your house) before it's acceptable to use deadly force. Even protecting pets or property could still get you jail time for using deadly force in some cases.

So confronting these guys in your hallway, according to my concealed carry teacher could get you ending up with the charges.

Anyone have any differing opinions or experiences than what I've been taught? Just curious.

Where did you take your course?

All depends on the state, New York you are supposed to retreat if possible.

I have small children, and trying to get them together and flee would take to long, Just like the guy in the OP, make sure there is only one side to the story.

Edited by Gary M

Where did you take your course?

All depends on the state, New York you are supposed to retreat if possible.

I have small children, and trying to get them together and flee would take to long, Just like the guy in the OP, make sure there is only one side to the story.

Erie County. New York State.

If you are going keep weapons in your home, remember a few things.

1.SECURE them. Not just in a drawer or a closet either.

2. You cannot defend property with deadly force.

3. Learn the phrase "I was in fear for my life"

4. Do not shoot at fleeing intruders.

5.Do not pursue them outside.

6. Lastly, as silly as it sounds do not fire more rounds than necessary. There is a name and a precedent for this but I cant remember it.