Brad Johnson to be Released

Buffalo Wing

Buccaneers | Johnson to be Released - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:29:46 -0800

ESPNews reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers plan to release QB Brad Johnson once the final paper work on a new deal for QB Brian Griese is completed.

What does everyone think about Brad Johnson? Could he be brought in as a back-up for JP? Would he be willing to come to a team in that capacity for maybe 2 million a year?

ESPNews reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers plan to release QB Brad Johnson once the final paper work on a new deal for QB Brian Griese is completed.

What does everyone think about Brad Johnson?  Could he be brought in as a back-up for JP?  Would he be willing to come to a team in that capacity for maybe 2 million a year?

255764[/snapback]

Nope. BJ is just as immobile as Bledsoe these days. The Bills won't spend 2 mil a season for a backup either

What does everyone think about Brad Johnson?  Could he be brought in as a back-up for JP?  Would he be willing to come to a team in that capacity for maybe 2 million a year?

255764[/snapback]

He would be a great option for backup. But would he? I really doubt it.

Nope. BJ is just as immobile as Bledsoe these days. The Bills won't spend 2 mil a season for a backup either

255767[/snapback]

I swear, for most people here there is not a FA out there talented enough to be a Buffalo Bill's BACKUP!!!

Yes, he would be a good fit to BACKUP Losman. I think he has a the combination of skill and experience that we need to help JP along and step in for a few games if needed. His starting days are over, but he will make a good BACKUP!

Comparable backups can be had for less money than he will likely command.

255807[/snapback]

Any names?

I can think of Batch, who has been out of football for a year. He'll come cheaper, and rightfully so. I wouldn't call him comparable at this point.

Anyone else?

Any names?

I can think of Batch, who has been out of football for a year.  He'll come cheaper, and rightfully so.  I wouldn't call him comparable at this point.

Anyone else?

255832[/snapback]

Batch, McMahon, Fiedler, Chandler, Frerotte, and Stewart I suppose.

I guess I'm mainly concerned with the "bang for buck" factor. Some of the players that I listed are better at some aspects of the game than Johnson at this point in their careers and some are worse in many areas. However, with the exception of Fiedler (and maybe Frerotte), these QBs know their place and have few unrealistic ideas about being the go-to-guy. Therefore, they can be had for less cash.

255767[/snapback]

Drew's game was downfield passing. Johnson is more into the short game, where mobility matters far less.

I think that he would be a splendid fit on this team in case JP gets injured, or sucks.

I swear, for most people here there is not a FA out there talented enough to be a Buffalo Bill's BACKUP!!!

Yes, he would be a good fit to BACKUP Losman.  I think he has a the combination of skill and experience that we need to help JP along and step in for a few games if needed.  His starting days are over, but he will make a good BACKUP!

255777[/snapback]

This is because a sizeable number (not all mind you) of posters here think that it is impossible for JP to NOT be great. Look at the postings and see for yourself.

A vast majority think that he is already better than Drew, based on nothing but a sordid season in 04.

Imagine if he had accomplished even one thing? He would be penciled in as an all time great. :doh:

The fair weather fans wpuld be screaming for him to start after the first 3 interception game by Losman. No thanks.

255885[/snapback]

It's not going to matter who the number 2 is - that's going to happen.

There was a tidbit in Marv's book about some troll screaming at Kelly because he threw 3 first quarter picks against the Bengals in a Monday night game. Kelly ended up tossing 5 TDs and the BILLS won easily.

No way to change that.

he will not suck . growing pains ,yes

255903[/snapback]

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for that post. It was right on time!

How are you in a position to say that he will not suck? For all we know, he will:

1) Spend his money on drugs.

2) Not be able to compete against NFL competion.

3) Have a bad attitude.

4) Not care.

5) Get injured.

Otoh, he COULD be great!

My point is that we dont know! There is nothing wrong...ZERO....with having a competent, professional qb on the Bills in case your unreasonable supposition is incorrect.

We don't know how JP will turn out and it's a legit concern. I have confidence in the Coaches to identify talent plus I'm very encouraged Losman is here putting in the time and working on his game in February !

Concerning a backup, ask yourself this. Mularkey was frustrated with the limited playbook he was forced to use with Drew, due to his lack of mobility and his inabilty to click on the short passing game. Now does one actually believe he would go out and grab another stone footed pocket passer after opening up the playbook with JP ?

I may be dead wrong but don't you think TD will be giving a call to Jay Fiedler on Wednesday ? Or someone else, with MOBILITY, who can run most of the plays in the JP offense.

Come on, folks. We're barking out names based on recognition. Most don't fit what Mularkey want in a backup QB. Also, Shane Matthews may not be an acceptable backup to some, point taken, but many here are already assuming he's not a possibility whatsover. The Bills are saying different. May be a smokescreen but I bet we know within a week.

All MM and TD need to do here is to say to prospective QBs they bring it in that they will be a backup and will not be competing for the job. Things may change in the future, but they shouldn't expect to start besides injury. Players who expect to start will be okay with this and want to sign with the team, players who expect to start won't be.

We don't know how JP will turn out and it's a legit concern. I have confidence in the Coaches to identify talent plus I'm very encouraged Losman is here putting in the time and working on his game in February !

Concerning a backup, ask yourself this. Mularkey was frustrated with the limited playbook he was forced to use with Drew, due to his lack of mobility and his inabilty to click on the short passing game. Now does one actually believe he would go out and grab another stone footed pocket passer after opening up the playbook with JP ? 

I may be dead wrong but don't you think TD will be giving a call to Jay Fiedler on Wednesday ? Or someone else, with MOBILITY, who can run most of the plays in the JP offense.

Come on, folks. We're barking out names based on recognition. Most don't fit what Mularkey want in a backup QB. Also, Shane Matthews may not be an acceptable backup to some, point taken,  but many here are already assuming he's not a possibility whatsover.  The Bills are saying different. May be a smokescreen but I bet we know within a week.

255949[/snapback]

Good post Mark. I am only saying that mobility matters less in a short passing game when the football is thrown in 2 or 3 seconds.

As for Fiedler, he is my first choice, but Brad woild not be bad at all.

Btw, I too trust the coaches on the JP decision, but anything can happen.

Batch, McMahon, Fiedler, Chandler, Frerotte, and Stewart I suppose.

I guess I'm mainly concerned with the "bang for buck" factor. Some of the players that I listed are better at some aspects of the game than Johnson at this point in their careers and some are worse in many areas. However, with the exception of Fiedler (and maybe Frerotte), these QBs know their place and have few unrealistic ideas about being the go-to-guy. Therefore, they can be had for less cash.

255851[/snapback]

I think you're going to get what you pay for. While I agree about Fiedler and would put him in the same talent level as Johnson, I also think he be asking about the same price.

All of the others I think are far worse. They'll come cheaper, and they will also be worth what they get.

Every has-been or never-was is mentioned as a backup for the Bills. Jeff Garcia, Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner, Jay Fiedler and Kordell Stewart among others have all been mentioned. There are reasons these guys are all available. They stink. They are washed up. They are overpaid. They still think they can start in the NFL. They think they should get multi-million dollar deals even if it's to hold a clipboard. The Bills do not have lots of cap space to make a mistake and overpay a backup QB. I like the Bills idea of going with Shane Mathews as the backup. They can always find a cheap backup somewhere else as well (CFL, NFL Europe, Draft a Qb in the late rounds, undrafted free agents, the Arena League, training camp cuts), it doesn't have to be an overpaid bum.