Kickers in this draft?

Webster Guy

It seemed like there were more kicker duels this year than I ever remember. Green Bay knocking off Dallas comes to mind, but there were tons of other games including a few Bills games where the difference between a W and L was the kicking game.

Also the longer extra point makes this position even more critical. There was one Sunday in November where a dozen extra points were missed, including two that day by Nugent for the Bengals which ultimately cost them the game (and me some cash) Carpenter missed 4 this season and ranked near the bottom of the league.

There used to be two criteria for grading kickers: kickoffs strength and field goal skill. Now extra point accuracy adds a 3rd dimension.

I would imagine the Bills have a priority to upgrade the kicking game and I'm wondering what the college draft is offering this year, and where would we likely take one?

Really? Wow. I guess it was a mistake taking him in my fanspeak mock yesterday...lol.

I had my hopes pinned on him since New Year's Day last year. He probably thinks I'm the biggest creep on the planet by now :D

Figured context was needed (I'm not completely stalking him. Yet) - https://twitter.com/StephenCulley/status/814557490406977536

Edited by Blokestradamus

well I think kickers coming into the league are at a more disadvange than before because from the time you start kicking until you finish college you are kicking extra points from a much shorter distance than when you come into the NFL now with the rule change. I wish that the college kicking game will now match the NFL game so you can better evaluate the kickers coming out

well I think kickers coming into the league are at a more disadvange than before because from the time you start kicking until you finish college you are kicking extra points from a much shorter distance than when you come into the NFL now with the rule change. I wish that the college kicking game will now match the NFL game so you can better evaluate the kickers coming out

I don't see it. How is kicking an extra point any different than a 30-35 yard field goal? I know Carpenter seems as reliable from 35 as he is from 45, which is strange, but wouldn't a young player who often kicks FGs in the 30s be exactly that accurate at XP's? Seemingly a lower stress kick, too, so you can't even factor in pressure effecting the XP even as much as a similar length FG.