Video: Pegula:"Whaley questioned Rex...put me to sleep"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Whaley wanted Hue, but when it became obvious which way the wind was blowing with TP, he followed it. He'd have been stupid not to, you don't make it to his level without being able to swallow a few pills from the owner. Including the org chart.

When the ONE guy in the room the Pegulas trust -- Brandon -- says "don't let Rex leave the building," does anyone really believe Whaley had the clout to say "wait a minute, guys, I like a couple of the other candidates better?"

Not at that time I would say no.

I also don't doubt that Whaley vetted Rex and he said all the right things. Other candidates could have been vetted as well and received the approval from Whaley but the seed was already planted by Brandon to get Rex and sell tickets.

Unless he didn't approve, and the new owner wanted to show the world that things in Buffalo are different now, that we can get and pay the biggest coaching name out there, and when Whaley sat in front of a microphone, he did everything to conceal that motivation so as to not throw his boss under the bus.

All of this could just as easily be inferred.

Really? I certainly hope you're wrong.

If we have a new owner/boss who would honestly ignore or override his GM's disapproval of a coaching hire (not his preference for another candidate, his disapproval of the one the owner wants to hire), that would really be very dismal for the long-term outlook of the organization, don't you think?

Of course Whaley, in front of a microphone, is going to protect his boss regardless, but absent hard info to the contrary, I think he should be taken at his word that he approved the hire (not to mention all the PR stuff at the time about completing each others sentences and so forth).

Caving to Marrone?

A point.

Was an owner for 3 months and the current coach left...leaving him to find a coach and having no relationship with anyone so he's going to lean on who he can Russ was one of the guys. Not to hard to understand really- Fast Forward 2 years

Russ is now president of the Bills and Sabres there is no way to have enough time to also be acting GM as some suggest.

Whaley has gained the confidence of the owners and it will be his choice for the next coach

With respect, I do not agree that Whaley was not all in on the initial hire. He even went out of his way to say how they completed each other's sentences. This is kind of like people pushing the idea that Whaley was not all in on drafting EJ in the first round - at least until people were reminded of a video where Whaley suggests otherwise.

First off, you're ducking the point about going a bit over the top - "Whaley was off in the Himalayas when the decision was made"

Second off, there's a difference between what one says behind closed doors when a decision is beiong hashed out, and what one says out in public in front of the microphones after the decision is made and I expect you know this.

From various stuff, I believe it's likely that you've probably made and participated in hiring decisions. So you know the drill when a committee is making them. Everyone gets a vote, someone in the room has the ultimate call (and right now it's been made clear that on the Bills, the Pegulas have that role). Everyone has their top choice and probably they're not the same guy. Sometimes the consensus #1 is not your #1. Then you assess - do you honestly think the consensus #1 is a BAD choice? Do you have reasons that constitute a deal-breaker? If you do, the ethical thing is to cowboy up and make your case even if it puts your butt on the line. If you feel the candidate is an acceptable choice, just not your top choice, you get in line and you accept the candidate. He's now your choice too and that's the face you present publically.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan