Defense and Playoffs

Current playoff teams who allow more PPG than the Bills:

3 - Atlanta Falcons, Oakland Raiders, and GB/Wash whoever makes it. Atlanta and Oakland are 2 of the top offenses in the NFL.

Current Playoff teams who allow more YPG than the Bills:

4 - Same 3 as above plus Miami (who has won all the same games as us pretty much, and beaten us twice)

This to me seems to be an indicator that defense is a predictor of success. 8 or 9 teams in the playoffs this year will have statistically better defense than Buffalo. Thoughts?

It stands to reason that teams allowing the least ppg have a better chance to win, therefore a greater opportunity at making the playoffs. There are no magic formulas , and there are outliers to every statistical trend. Teams allowing higher ppg on defense than most playoff contenders need an above average offense to compensate. It's probably better for a team's playoff chances if they have a stingy defense and average offense than the inverse. The Bills record vs winning teams this season shows they need defensive improvements the most to end the playoff drought. Nothing earth shattering here, just the game stripped down to its most basic: outscoring your opponent. The Bills offensive ppg should have lead to a better record than 8-8 or 7-9.

Current playoff teams who allow more PPG than the Bills:

3 - Atlanta Falcons, Oakland Raiders, and GB/Wash whoever makes it. Atlanta and Oakland are 2 of the top offenses in the NFL.

Current Playoff teams who allow more YPG than the Bills:

4 - Same 3 as above plus Miami (who has won all the same games as us pretty much, and beaten us twice)

This to me seems to be an indicator that defense is a predictor of success. 8 or 9 teams in the playoffs this year will have statistically better defense than Buffalo. Thoughts?

It can be reasonably argued that of the Bills 8 losses, at least 6 and perhaps 7 were because of inferior performance by the defense. It blows my mind that there are those who believe games like the Miami games were not on the defense. Defense wins championships is said for a reason. Teams have won titles with far worse offenses than we had this year.