Do you think the Rex timing will backfire at all?

Alphadawg7

I don't have an issue that they fired Rex, but I do wonder if this will have a negative impact on our coaching search.

1. Is it really necessary for any team to fire a coach with 1 week left in the season? Just feels like you are making an example out of them and no coach is going to want to have that done to them nor get behind doing it to another colleague.

2. Sounds like part of the reason was because our GM wanted to see a different QB play...that is not something potential coaches like to see from a team, a front office dictating the coaches game plan and game day starters, no matter what the reasons.

3. The 1 game left was against the Jets, and there is no secret that Rex enjoys beating his old team, and to fire him the week before the game...a meaningless final game of the season...just looks petty and vindictive. Of course, it doesn't mean it was vindictive, but I have lots of people texting me about saying it was pretty messed up to do before the Jets game, so who knows how potential coaching candidates see it.

4. To those on the outside looking in, he wasn't a disaster like the Jax debacle. We should beat the Jets, and had he coached that game he would have been .500 in 2 years despite all the injuries working against this team to many of the players we couldn't afford to be without.

Top candidates generally have several options every year...Buffalo already has its small market and vicious winter weather working against it. They have 17 years of missed playoffs working against them. It appears we have a big QB issue or question mark going into next year with only a raw QB locked in to be here who wasnt good enough to start in college even after a National Championship fill in on his resume. We play in the same division as the Pats. We have an old stadium. We have a ton of FA's going into the offseason. Our draft pick slot isn't going to likely be top 15.

So with those things already working against us in any coaching or FA recruitment, why add to it by making such a loud move against Rex that might add more reasons to make this job less attractive?

Note: If Lynn is the guy, this likely has no impact...but Lynn also is rumored for the Rams job, so we may have competition for him.

Look Rex asked about the future and said if he was going to be fired to just do it. Pegula obliged. Simple. End of story.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pegulas made a mistake in hiring a huckster buffoon who in short order has decimated two franchises. Rex was dispatched for cause by owners who badly want to succeed. Anyone who gets hired will be working for owners who are going to be supportive. Anyone who gets hired will be working for owners who are committed to winning.

I know that some of you guys love to pile on Rex. I also realize that I have felt compelled to defend him. In the past few days, I have tried to stay away from this issue.

Nevertheless, I keep reading guys piling on Rex and essentially pushing the Whaley narrative that Rex had an 11-5 roster.

I was listening to WGR on demand on the way home last night, and Schopp reminded me of something. Vegas had the over and under on Buffalo Bills wins at 8.

In other words, as much as certain people would like to think that the roster was an 11-5 roster or something like that, Rex and the coaching staff did not decimate the team and the team performed about the same as Vegas had predicted - even with all of the injuries and the suspensions and rumors that Jerome Felton also described as undermining the team.

Just my two cents.

I am going to try to avoid getting drawn into this argument again. Most of you know how I feel. I will just refer you to my prior posts on this subject.

1. Knowing Rex (in reputation anyways), he wanted to leave the team with a win and wanted to play TT. Management wanted to be sure he didn't get hurt and weren't married to that contract. Likely told Rex that he needed to bench TT for the last game and wasn't going to do it.

2. See #1 but add, They needed to make a decision to see if EJ was actually better or just a camp/practice hero. They have already seen what TT can do over 2 season and wanted to keep him healthy for the off-season.

3. See 1 and 2. Also, Rex was the one that inquired on his future and they both (Rex, Pegula) agreed to just take 1 to the head instead of 4 to the chest.

Regarding the OP's question ... no.

Everyone now knows Rex sold the Pegulas a 5-year timeshare made of cards, and I am quite happy that Terry at least had the stones to make sure to include Rob in the voiding of that transaction. But I think Rex played the Tyrod/what's -my-status? card perfectly for his own obvious reasons.

Rex was seen hitting up Target in OP the very next day, presumably getting his travel-sized toiletries for the trip down to Arizona on NYE to see his son's Clemson team play against Ohio State. I am sure he figured that if he pressed the issues enough with Pegs, he'd have a chance of heading down there scot-free last weekend instead of going into his former team's building on New Years Day as a dead man walking.

I know that some of you guys love to pile on Rex. I also realize that I have felt compelled to defend him. In the past few days, I have tried to stay away from this issue.

Nevertheless, I keep reading guys piling on Rex and essentially pushing the Whaley narrative that Rex had an 11-5 roster.

I was listening to WGR on demand on the way home last night, and Schopp reminded me of something. Vegas had the over and under on Buffalo Bills wins at 8.

In other words, as much as certain people would like to think that the roster was an 11-5 roster or something like that, Rex and the coaching staff did not decimate the team and the team performed about the same as Vegas had predicted - even with all of the injuries and the suspensions and rumors that Jerome Felton also described as undermining the team.

Just my two cents.

I am going to try to avoid getting drawn into this argument again. Most of you know how I feel. I will just refer you to my prior posts on this subject.

I never considered this roster a 11-5 roster. Maybe 10-6 at best. But the issue isn't the record so much as what did he do with the players he had. One of my primary criticisms of Rex is that he had players on defense that were not particularly adaptable to what he wanted to do on defense. Instead of adjusting to their talents and especially their limitations he acted with determination to fit his out-dated scheme. It clearly didn't work.

I never liked the hire. So be it. That doesn't mean that I was rooting for him to fail. What irritates me to no end is that he set this franchise back. That is so sad because progress was being made with this team. In support of Rex players and draft picks were brought in to suit him and make his system work. It didn't work and wasn't going to work for this coach who was too undisciplined to instill discipline in the team he was supposed to lead.

The bottom line in a bottom line business that under Rex this team was regressing. What happened in NY, a place where he got fired from, was happening here but with greater negative momentum.

I don't feel sorry for Rex because he sought the job, got the job and with great fanfare he took to the podium with his outlandish bravado. His mouth didn't match his performance. He simply failed. That's how this cruel business works. Although he got fired he is still cashing in. More power to him. As far as I'm considered this is addition by subtraction.