Interesting question for football freaks!

JP-era

What in your mind is more important for a franchise that is on the verge of the playoffs/SB?

Is it draft picks? a) Grabbing a few of the best available players? b) is it building depth with trades down or many picks?

Is it FA? a) Grabbing bets available players regardless of position? b) is it trading picks or players for specific stud players?

Do you go conservative or aggressive?

I lean toward aggressive.

It is certainly a boom or bust proposition where teams like NO trade there entrie draft for Ricky, or teams like the Giants trade so many picks for Eli, or on the flip side, teams grab Randy Moss when they already had Jake Reed and Chris Carter. Do I like Randy Moss, no, but I like the move and it has paid of in terms of on the field production.

As far as FA, look at Philly, they grab 2 big name players (Kearse and Owens) and make the jump to the SB. And then you have Indy who grabs players like Burress, and lets Peterson go.

As far as the draft, what is a 4th round pick really worth? how about a 3rd? even a 2nd? Dont dismiss it until you really think about it. Chances are very good its a bust (probably better than 50%). Chances are also very good that its a player who wont be a solid starter for several years. Does a team thats right on the verge benefit from adding young players that they wont get value from for several years? Why not trade several of these picks for a proven stud who will start day one at a position of need? Do I think NO was smart? absolutley not. Do I think we would be smart to trade say a 2nd and 4th plus Henry for Pace if STL needed a RB? Yes I do. What has Reed and Wire (3rd not 4th) brought to us that isnt replaced from the current roster? What would Pace mean to this offense? What did grabbing a transition tag player like Spikes mean? What could adding a franchise player in a trade mean?

And then there is the conservative approach. We could simply sign cheaper versions and hope for them to overachieve or become better than they currently are. Can it happens, yes and it often does. The Pats have made a living from this and have also went the route of stockpiling picks to build talent through the draft. I choose to believe that they are an enigma and not a model to follow.

So, my opinion is to be very aggressive and make some serious trades for a few big name players. I believe that will propel us to the upper tier of the league.

Just my 10 cents.

The era of free agency has made the draft even more important then it ever was before. Simply put you build your depth (and eventual starters) through the draft and get immediate starters through free agency. Taking your example of the Eagles, part of the reason that they were able to get Kearse and Owens is because they had Brown and Shepperd in the wings so they would not have to re-sign Bobby Taylor or Troy Vincent and able to use that money elsewhere. Trades for big name players only work if that player lives up to their potential and not giving away too much see Corey Dillon vs Ricky Williams as examples. I will always lean to to smart conservative first approach but if you are on the verge then go for what's needed if possible.

The era of free agency has made the draft even more important then it ever was before. Simply put you build your depth (and eventual starters) through the draft and get immediate starters through free agency. Taking your example of the Eagles, part of the reason that they were able to get Kearse and Owens is because they had Brown and Shepperd in the wings so they would not have to re-sign Bobby Taylor or Troy Vincent and able to use that money elsewhere. Trades for big name players only work if that player lives up to their potential and not giving away too much see Corey Dillon vs Ricky Williams as examples. I will always lean to to smart conservative first approach but if you are on the verge then go for what's needed if possible.

253719[/snapback]

If your version of conservative mean think things through I am on board, if it means never sign a top flight anything, I dont agree.

I see your point on Philly, and I think the Bills are in a similar situation. They have depth in most spots. They are weak on the o-line, this should be addressed through the draft (depth) and FA for starters.

I think they have decent depth and a developing CB starter in McGee at corner. S we are set, LB we are set, DE's we have lots of youth and although we could use a stud, it would have to be a FA not another draftee (too mnay already here). At DT, we ares et with Sam, have some depth, but may be missing a starter with Pat set to leave, Id like a draftee or yound guy with potential. TE, way have depth but need an upgrade, WR we are set at #1 and #2, may need another 3 but have depth, RB set at #1 and probably #3, need a #2 (draft). QB, we are set at #1, maybe #2 with Mathews (maybe the draft or a cheap vet), and can always get a #3.

I guess, to be specific, Id like to take advantage of the Travis situation to add a stud at a spot where we could sorely use one, LT. I dont know who or how, Pace, Jones, Thomas, Ogden all have very good RB's. It would have to be a guy who is on the verge of stardom. I dont see that from Shelton, just me. Maybe a Gallery trade. I guess I would be willing to give up Travis and picks to land him, It could mean so much for us. Maybe its, dare I say it, McKinnie (ugg I hate the guy but he can play). Maybe Gross, Panthers were interested in Henry at one point I thought.

I guess I feel this is our shot to really make a big push and to grab a few studs. Id love for us to make some big trades, the Travis for Shelton thingy is a ho-hummer to me (ho-hummer... I like it :D ).

I guess I feel this is our shot to really make a big push and to grab a few studs. Id love for us to make some big trades, the Travis for Shelton thingy is a ho-hummer to me (ho-hummer... I like it  :D ).

253752[/snapback]

Truth be told stud LTs aren't available on the open market. The last one to move was Roaf when he went to the Chiefs. Before that you could argue the last one to go was Wilford when he left us for the Colts. The reason I like the Henry for Shelton move is it would fill a need with a non dud. Studs are nice but when one isn't available then you go with the next best option(s) (which to me is Jennings, Shelton, Tra Thomas and Bob Whitfield in that order). After that the rest of the available LTs out there is less than appealing to me.

I personally don't think you approach any offseason any different as a 13-3 team as oppose to a 3-13 team. You have to go into every offseason with the mindset to make your team better, and expect the unexpected because you never know what kind of situation you'll be put in. Example, who the hell knew that Milloy would be released 3 days before the season started? As a GM, you have to be ready for these things and be the first to jump if the player can improve your team.

I personally don't think you approach any offseason any different as a 13-3 team as oppose to a 3-13 team. You have to go into every offseason with the mindset to make your team better, and expect the unexpected because you never know what kind of situation you'll be put in. Example, who the hell knew that Milloy would be released 3 days before the season started? As a GM, you have to be ready for these things and be the first to jump if the player can improve your team.

253838[/snapback]

I think there's a huge difference between 13-3 & 3-13. 3-13 means you probably have a hole at QB & some other key positions. (Unless you started a true rookie QB & he's ready to improve dramatically)

13-3 means you're pretty close, assuming you don't have major FA losses upcomming, you go for veterans via FA to get you over the top. At 3-13 you're drafting a QB if a top prospect is there at the top of the draft and trying to make a lot of moves that will get you in contention within a couple of years.

Truth be told stud LTs aren't available on the open market. The last one to move was Roaf when he went to the Chiefs. Before that you could argue the last one to go was Wilford when he left us for the Colts. The reason I like the Henry for Shelton move is it would fill a need with a non dud. Studs are nice but when one isn't available then you go with the next best option(s) (which to me is Jennings, Shelton, Tra Thomas and Bob Whitfield in that order). After that the rest of the available LTs out there is less than appealing to me.

253801[/snapback]

But you skipped the trade Travis plus picks for a stud LT thought. I think Tra isnt available.

But you skipped the trade Travis plus picks for a stud LT thought. I think Tra isnt available.

253867[/snapback]

Tra Thomas supposedly has an out clause in his contract that could put him on the market this offseason, though I can't say that's the case for sure.

Tra Thomas supposedly has an out clause in his contract that could put him on the market this offseason, though I can't say that's the case for sure.

253870[/snapback]

thanx for the good info. I hope thats true and he walks.

I think your one of the good guys BTW. thanks from a fellow Bills fan.

its getting starters who can make plays or fill gaps made by sucky players.

draft picks rarely have a great impact there rookie year.

so i say getting a few FA that fill needed holes.

most teams sacrifice the future for a chance at a SB ring.

drafting a lesser person to fill a needed gap will help get to the SB, but drafting the best guy on the board will help your team get to the SB in 2-3 years.

What in your mind is more important for a franchise that is on the verge of the playoffs/SB?

Is it draft picks? a) Grabbing a few of the best available players? b) is it building depth with trades down or many picks?

Is it FA? a) Grabbing bets available players regardless of position? b) is it trading picks or players for specific stud players?

Do you go conservative or aggressive?

I lean toward aggressive.

It is certainly a boom or bust proposition where teams like NO trade there entrie draft for Ricky, or teams like the Giants trade so many picks for Eli, or on the flip side, teams grab Randy Moss when they already had Jake Reed and Chris Carter. Do I like Randy Moss, no, but I like the move and it has paid of in terms of on the field production.

As far as FA, look at Philly, they grab 2 big name players (Kearse and Owens) and make the jump to the SB. And then you have Indy who grabs players like Burress, and lets Peterson go.

As far as the draft, what is a 4th round pick really worth? how about a 3rd? even a 2nd? Dont dismiss it until you really think about it. Chances are very good its a bust (probably better than 50%). Chances are also very good that its a player who wont be a solid starter for several years. Does a team thats right on the verge benefit from adding young players that they wont get value from for several years? Why not trade several of these picks for a proven stud who will start day one at a position of need? Do I think NO was smart? absolutley not. Do I think we would be smart to trade say a 2nd and 4th plus Henry for Pace if STL needed a RB? Yes I do. What has Reed and Wire (3rd not 4th) brought to us that isnt replaced from the current roster? What would Pace mean to this offense? What did grabbing a transition tag player like Spikes mean? What could adding a franchise player in a trade mean?

And then there is the conservative approach. We could simply sign cheaper versions and hope for them to overachieve or become better than they currently are. Can it happens, yes and it often does. The Pats have made a living from this and have also went the route of stockpiling picks to build talent through the draft. I choose to believe that they are an enigma and not a model to follow.

So, my opinion is to be very aggressive and make some serious trades for a few big name players. I believe that will propel us to the upper tier of the league.

Just my 10 cents.

253713[/snapback]

It has to be balanced! I agree with the agressive part, but if you bring in too many vet's, you may get short-term help, but everybody will get old together...and then what? George Allen did that in the 70's. "the future is now!" Well the future was now, and the Redskins were great, for a few years, but Sonny & Billy got old at the same time, and they were up the creek. Our Super Bowl years were mostly the result of the draft-thanks to Bill Polian. If we could do that again, I'd be very happy, but it takes years to pull it all together. Meantime, Ralph isn't getting any younger, so maybe "the future is now"!

I don't think there is an answer to that question. Each year is different for your team, each off season, each draft position, each talent pool for FA and college players. Do you have a first year coach or a guy on the bubble. The only way, IMO, is to be flexible, and always on the lookout to improve your team in both tiny ways and big moves. You never know if a FA or a rookie is going to pan out. What you really need is a GM and coach and scouting department (pro and college) and ownership working together. TD has done a good job with FA and pretty good with draft and poor with coach and arguable with trades. He has done great with the cap. But it's an ongoing thing. A few years ago, Butler and Ralph and Wade decided we had a talented team and went for broke, knowingly overpaying talent to keep the team intact to make one final push for the big prize. We lost it on the Music City Miracle but we never would have been in that position had they not overpaid for guys like Holecek and Sam Rogers, etc. that gave us the great D. That decision, while it was right at the time, and I still think was a reasonably good one, bit us in the ass the next two years. But they knew that going in and it was worth the risk, it just didnt pan out. Each year is a completely different set of circumstances and you must take them separate as to where you think you can go that year, the next and two years down the line. There isn't one way to do it. Or one philosophy, be it the draft or FA or high priced guys or taking big risks.