Need some help with "Continuity"

plenzmd1

Very few fans seem to want to keep Rex and crew for "continuity", but the national pundits will always say "that is why bad teams continue to lose, no continuity" . Golic and Schefter this morning went off on t how foolish it would be to fire Rex after 2 years, and then pointing out the Steelers have had 3 coaches in 40 years, the Pats aren't changing coaches etc.

My argument is the Pats had a revolving door at coach till they finally struck gold with Belichick, and the Steelers have just continued to win...so they are no doubt an outlier.

Here is my question...can anyone remember a coach or team that had a losing or .500 record in first two years, or a second year that was not trending up, that then went on to huge success in years 3-7 etc by staying with same coach?

Maybe Ron Rivera fits the Bill...BB in Cleveland in the early 90's...i cant think of any others.

I want ammunition to argue against this asinine argument that winning teams have continuity...they have continuity cause they win if the first couple of years...not because they stay with coaches who are not showing improvement.

The big error the Bills make is not firing coaches too soon...the big error is they can't pick a decent coach to start. If anything, i think they stay with bad coaches too long!

jimmy johnson

How about taking this a step further, I used Jimmy Johnson as an example. But he had high picks to use. Is there a coach or team that was able to rise out from mediocrity without high draft picks? Much like the currrent Sabres rebuild, the 90s cowboys were able to buiild through the draft. I think the Bills need to find a proven talent evaluator and tank for top talent. Consistently drafting 10-20 may give you good players, but not special talent.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed Whaley is solid. I don't agree with some on TSW who want him gone.

I'm not in agreement with your first part. Rex has been trending downward as an NFL coach for several years now. It is time to end the experiment and let Whaley pick his own coach.

If we do fire Rex, then I agree, it has to be up to Whaley. He has proven to be a good finding talent on the field in places you wouldn't expect, let him show what he can do in picking a coach. I hope the Pegulas dont force another pick, let the guy who knows football do it.

My take on "continuity"...

If you're winning, maintain it. If you're losing and not showing any improvement, it's an excuse to keep the coaching staff.

Why use the "continuity" defense if the existing staff isn't getting it done?

I'll also argue that you should give a coach 3 years to win, get to the playoffs, improve the team, etc. In this case, Rex has a history. He showed his last few years in NJ that he wasn't inspiring the team. It's obvious he's doing the same here.

Time to move on.