(OT) The Oscars Are A Joke

R. Rich

Interesting dialog here.

I was a big Hunter Thompson fan, and I think Johnny Depp was spot on in Fear and Loathing. He can't win this year, but eventually he'll put himself in a blockbuster and win.

The big ripoff was 1969 when John Wayne won for True Grit over Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight for Midnight Cowboy. There have been many silly choices over the years, and I agree with the guy who posted about Shakespeare beating Saving Private Ryan. Absolutely absurd.

I've seen most of the nominees this year. Till I saw Million Dollar Baby, I was all in favor of Sideways. Loved that. But Million Dollar Baby sort of took my breath away. It's just amazing.

I agree that Giamatti should've been nominated. Depp was great in that movie, but the part wasn't big enough. Giamatti ruled that picture.

Hilary Swank's problem is she doesn't look like an actress. She looks like a pretty girl. But she is just terrific, and she deserves to win.

As an afterthought, and I know most people have already moved well beyond my post, I think Nicholson's best performance, by far, is in "The Last Detail."

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw c'mon.  They made up for it by honoring Halle Berry and giving Denzel an award when they DIDN'T deserve them.

253298[/snapback]

Of the nominees for Best Actor that year:

Russell Crowe -- A Beautiful Mind {"John Nash"}

Sean Penn -- I Am Sam {"Sam Dawson"}

Will Smith -- Ali {"Muhammad Ali"}

Denzel Washington -- Training Day {"Alonzo"}

Tom Wilkinson -- In the Bedroom {"Matt Fowler"}

I had no problem with Denzel winning it. I also would've been okay w/Russell Crowe getting it. Will Smith was great in Ali, but I thought Jamie Foxx was just as good playing Bundini Brown in that movie and should've been nominated. Speaking of the supporting actors, I saw Iris and thought it was a good movie and Broadbent was good in the role, but I thought he was better in Moulin Rouge that year. I also thought Ethan Hawke was great in Training Day and was just as good as Denzel was.

As far as the actress race went:

Halle Berry -- Monster's Ball {"Leticia Musgrove"}

Judi Dench -- Iris {"Iris Murdoch"}

Nicole Kidman -- Moulin Rouge {"Satine"}

Sissy Spacek -- In the Bedroom {"Ruth Fowler"}

Renée Zellweger -- Bridget Jones's Diary {"Bridget Jones"}

That one could've just as easily gone to Renee Zellweger for Bridget Jones' Diary or Nicole Kidman for Moulin Rouge. All 3 were very good. Judi Dench was okay in Iris, nothing special though.

Of the nominees for Best Actor that year:

Russell Crowe -- A Beautiful Mind {"John Nash"} 

Sean Penn -- I Am Sam {"Sam Dawson"} 

Will Smith -- Ali {"Muhammad Ali"} 

Denzel Washington -- Training Day {"Alonzo"} 

Tom Wilkinson -- In the Bedroom {"Matt Fowler"} 

I had no problem with Denzel winning it.  I also would've been okay w/Russell Crowe getting it.  Will Smith was great in Ali, but I thought Jamie Foxx was just as good playing Bundini Brown in that movie and should've been nominated.  Speaking of the supporting actors, I saw Iris and thought it was a good movie and Broadbent was good in the role, but I thought he was better in Moulin Rouge that year.  I also thought Ethan Hawke was great in Training Day and was just as good as Denzel was.

253682[/snapback]

Tom Wilkinson - GREAT Actor

The Patriot

Shakespere In Love

The Full Monty

Tom Wilkinson - GREAT Actor

The Patriot

Shakespere In Love

The Full Monty

253718[/snapback]

I did see Shakespeare in Love (vastly overrated) and The Full Monty (good movie), but I haven't seen The Patriot yet. Maybe I'll catch it on one of the premium channels some time.

I did see Shakespeare in Love (vastly overrated) and The Full Monty (good movie), but I haven't seen The Patriot yet.  Maybe I'll catch it on one of the premium channels some time.

253722[/snapback]

Rich - i agree with a lot of what you have said in this thread.....about some movies being overrated. But, I am talking about individual performances.

Pacino in Scent of a Woman was great even though the movie was a big yawn.

Tom Wilkinson in "In the Bedroom"...IMO should have won the Oscar. Even though the movie was a very slow paced movie.

The Patriot is one of only a handful that I have ever purchased.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one, Shakespeare In Love over Saving Private Ryan???!!! That was the power of the Weinsteins. Does anyone even remember Shakespeare?

253515[/snapback]

Not only SVP, but also 'Life is Beautiful'. Both of those films were clearly superior to Shakespeare in Love. Life is Beautiful is my favorite film of all time.

Rich - i agree with a lot of what you have said in this thread.....about some movies being overrated.  But, I am talking about individual performances. 

Pacino in Scent of a Woman was great even though the movie was a big yawn.

Tom Wilkinson in "In the Bedroom"...IMO should have won the Oscar.  Even though the movie was a very slow paced movie. 

The Patriot is one of only a handful that I have ever purchased.

253726[/snapback]

Again, we just have a difference of opinion on some topics. When I mentioned Scent of a Woman, in addition to the movie being awful, I also believe Pacino's performance is subpar. It's over the top in a Jim Carrey-ish sort of way, beneath his considerable acting talents. He can do great, understated work (see Heat). There are many, obviously, who thought he was good in Scent of a Woman. That's fine. I didn't.

Like I said, I'll be on the lookout for The Patriot.

Life is Beautiful is very good.  Depressing, but VERY good, significantly better than Shakespeare In Love.

253734[/snapback]

Yep, very tough to watch......It's typically a cold day in hell that I would ever be caught dead tearing up in a damn movie theater, but I literally was paralyzed and in tears after the movie ended - as was about half the rest of the audience. To me, it's one of the greatest stories ever told of a man's love for his family. Wonderful film......

Yep, very tough to watch......It's typically a cold day in hell that I would ever be caught dead tearing up in a damn movie theater, but I literally was paralyzed and in tears after the movie ended - as was about half the rest of the audience. To me, it's one of the greatest stories ever told of a man's love for his family. Wonderful film......

253738[/snapback]

There's nothing wrong with tearing up at a movie. Some movies just have that effect on people.