Russ Brandon and others...

pepsicat17

Same, or hire Bill Cowher and allow him to evaluate and rebuild the team as the man does know player talent and coaches.

I would have preferred hiring Packers GM Ted Thompson away from Green Bay and give him complete autonomy on the football side. This idea was looking good a few weeks ago when the Packers were losing.

It was Bill Cowher who recommended Whaley. He was highly thought of in the Steeler organization.

The looking back to the past for faded luminaries such as Polian, Cowher and Coughlan is not only an act of desperation but an act of foolishness. The person mostly responsible for the Steeler roster during the Cowher and current era is Tom Colbert.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Bill Cowher who recommended Whaley. He was highly thought of in the Steeler organization.

The looking back to the past for faded luminaries such as Polian, Cowher and Coughlan is not only an act of desperation but an act of foolishness. The person mostly responsible for the Steeler roster during the Cowher and current era is Tom Colbert.

Cowher also recommended Gailey; both have proven to be failures in Buffalo. And then there's TD, who I believe was done in by the owner.... nevertheless, just say NO to any more ex-Steelers for the front office or coaching staff, bad karma.

Yeah, no Bill Cowher for me. The Whaley recommendation was coaching fraternity nepotism at its finest.

It's being mentioned in the other thread, but Tim Graham's piece today really nails home how big of a myth it is that Brandon is not involved in football decisions:

Brandon supposedly stopped having input on "football decisions" after the Pegulas bought the Bills. There are, however, myriad references to the contrary.

Terry Pegula himself said Brandon advised during the Ryan interview process: "Don't let him out of the building."

A Sports Illustrated feature story on how Ryan became Buffalo's coach revealed Brandon gave Ryan tips on how to schmooze Terry Pegula, texting Ryan the owner "loves red wine."

In a BuffaloBills.com interview with Whaley at the end of last season, the GM said, "Throughout the year, we have a Monday morning call with myself, the Pegulas, Russ Brandon and Rex, and we'll go over everything that went into the game-planning before during and after and any results that came after the game, especially injury-wise."

Brandon handles the Bills' budget. The team's chief contract negotiator, Senior Vice President of Football Administration Jim Overdorf, reports to him.

Brandon and Overdorf, not Whaley, meet with agents about player contracts every year at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Brandon was more than just in the meetings with Rex, he definitely was pushing for him. He hired Marrone. The bit about the agents and contracts is news to me and actually really sad. Why would Russ Brandon even have the time to handle player negotiations? Seems like a role he shouldn't be involved in at all. One thing rings true more than any other:

There's no accountability in the front office at One Bills Drive.