Rapoport: Expect off-season trade talks around Brandin Cooks

JM57

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000750224/article/saints-brandin-cooks-could-be-at-center-of-offseason-trade-talks

I know this board LOVES to talk about the lack of WR depth so here's something to chew on. With the pending free agency of...basically all the WR on the roster this could be an avenue to restock the cupboard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure a guy moaning about a lack of targets is aching to move to Buffalo.

He's not a free agent though so he wouldn't have a choice. Not that I would necessarily support the move

He's not a free agent though so he wouldn't have a choice. Not that I would necessarily support the move

That's true but do we really want to use prime draft capital on a player that's already showing that he's a combustible element in a locker room?

Cheap deal for 2 years with a 5th year option, I doubt they let him go without a significant pick in return.

No more tiny guys, when will you all learn?

Cooks lines up outside and is a vertical threat. He's Goodwin, but with way more football talent. That being said, yes, he is only 5'10, but that doesn't matter as much outside the numbers.

Mindset... Drafting one guy in the second round of 2008 is considered mindset... Hahahhahaha

Size was the reason they drafted Hardy. That's a mindset. Not an organisational philosophy, a mindset.

Size isn't a skill in itself. The best WR in the NFL is 5' 10". Being big AND talented is great but one does not mean the other.

Size was the reason they drafted Hardy. That's a mindset. Not an organisational philosophy, a mindset.

Size isn't a skill in itself. The best WR in the NFL is 5' 10". Being big AND talented is great but one does not mean the other.

Brandon Cooks is not and never will be the best WR in the NFL. So his size is an issue. Some People don't realize we need bigger guys. Grab Brandon Cooks so he can run really fast a few times a game isn't going to do anything for this offense.

"Hey guys we drafted the wrong big guy onece a long time ago... Never draft a big WR ever again."

I bet Derek Carr loves his big WRs. I bet Tyrod would love a few of those guys.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Brandon Cooks is not and never will be the best WR in the NFL. So his size is an issue. Some People don't realize we need bigger guys. Grab Brandon Cooks so he can run really fast a few times a game isn't going to do anything for this offense.

The Bills could use the skill set Cooks has. They've stressed that field-stretching WR quite clearly in keeping Goodwin and drafting Listenbee. It just so happens that they seem to value speed over ball tracking in their vertical threats, something that isn't an issue for Cooks. I'm not calling him the best WR in the NFL but don't play dumb to what this team does well. When Tyrod trusts his guy, he's a good deep ball passer.

I'm not for grabbing Cooks but he fits a clear profile in Buffalo. I agree that they need a bit more size given the QB but, if Tyrod's sticking around, why not cater to what he does well as much as trying to help minimise his weaknesses elsewhere?

"Hey guys we drafted the wrong big guy onece a long time ago... Never draft a big WR ever again."

I bet Derek Carr loves his big WRs. I bet Tyrod would love a few of those guys.

Cooper and Crabtree are 6'1, 210-215 which is probably around average for an NFL WR but please tell me more about how huge they are.

Trust me, I understand you don't want the smurfs running around out there. I get it. I support Sammy Watkins because he is on my favorite team, but three years later I STILL wish they would have stayed put and taken Mike Evans instead.

The reason I opened the Cooks conversation up is because the Bills need more than one WR next season. Why?

- Woods is their #2, set to be a free agent, has moaned about his lack of targets when Watkins is playing and has comparable stats at this point of his career as Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu, who both got I believe 8+ million a year from Detroit and Atlanta. #10 is testing the market, guaranteed.

- Goodwin is their primary vertical threat, is constantly injured, and even though he has sprinter's speed, isn't that good at football if we're being honest. It's a possibility that Listenbee is his replacement but the kid allegedly needs a TON of route running work.

- Harvin is probably going to retire again, let's not dance around that.

- Hunter has great size and has caught a bunch of TD's in his approximately 6 weeks here, but drops have plagued him since he was a Volunteer. I hope he's a reclamation project, I really do, because I wanted him or Keenan Allen over Woods going into round 2 of the 2013 draft.

- Powell is a nice little depth WR.

- Tate is best in the return game and we all know that.

If Woods and Goodwin walk, the Bills are coming out with Watkins, Harvin (maybe), Powell, Tate and Listenbee without a ton of money to spend on a free agent. Draft picks aren't often instant contributors unless they are #1 picks, and IMO, safety is a much bigger need (and a huge strength of the 2017 class).

I'd rather burn a mid-round pick on an instant contributor than a guy who MIGHT contribute down the line.

Edited by JM57

They also talked even more about Big WRs which is where the league is going.

The league follows trends. The running back position was dead until teams got smaller at LB, then you see consecutive top-10 draft picks at RB.

Corners get bigger, stronger, longer. Then you'll see more shorter, shiftier guys at WR to take advantage of that. The league goes where teams tell it to.

The league follows trends. The running back position was dead until teams got smaller at LB, then you see consecutive top-10 draft picks at RB.

Corners get bigger, stronger, longer. Then you'll see more shorter, shiftier guys at WR to take advantage of that. The league goes where teams tell it to.

Exactly. WR's were getting bigger and bigger until the Seahawks made a giant CB out of Brandon Browner. It didn't take long for teams to figure out you could beat the brakes off a giant CB with a smaller, shifty, WR with great short area acceleration like Edelman or impeccable footwork like Antonio Brown.