ALL 22 - WEEK 12 JAGS - OLINE PLAY / QB UNFORCED ERRORS

Bocephuz

Good stuff Bo!

I don't think many Bills fan get just how good that Jacksonville defense is and I'd rate that pass defense about as good as the Seahawks. Their D-line was creating such havoc with a simple four-man rush.

The Keys to this game in my view were the multiple breakdowns on the Jags D in both the safety and CB covering the same gap that freed up Shady for that long run. The breakdown in their pass defense that allowed Sammy that big catch. Last but not least was their special team's breakdown in allowing that big return right before the end of the half. Bad teams make these sort of mistakes, though.

Sometimes it's just better to be lucky...

Yeah.. From what I saw there were very few stunts, blitzes or exotic coverages. ..they just have really good athletes and they turned em loose.

Both their DEs were very effective.

Really appreciate the time you put into this. Very thought-provoking, and honestly doesn't matter if I could quibble with a couple observations. Keep up the good work!

Thanks..

Mills' performance was indeed poor.

The coverage sacks are subjective and lend themselves open to debate. His pocket presence is still often skittish. At the very least most would agree there are no obvious targets open on those plays and that the WRs are not getting mich separation on those plays

Another well done objective review overall from what I can tell (when we don't know the read keys, progressions or blocking scheme). Thanks!

Great analytics - thanks for your efforts! If the center of the line is our strength, why isn't TT stepping up in the pocket to avoid pressure rather than escaping the pocket at first chance? Stepping up allows to keep eyes downfield and make a throw. I think lateral movement makes this more difficult and should come after an initial step up and read.

Thanks again for the breakdown! Mostly I was impressed with the Jaguars defense, less so disappointed with Tyrod. The Jags were a hype pick for AFCS division winner, and up until last week I was kind of surprised at how bad they were doing. I definitely thought they were going to compete this year. heir failure doesn't seem to be at all due to their defense. Although, plays like the big McCoy TD are the kind of plays that can make or break your game (much like our Duke Williams on Mike Wallace fiasco week 1). Every team lets one of those go every now and then. Based on the past couple times we've played the Jags, I can see why Bradley has been retained. They seem well prepared overall, just unable to fully execute.

Jags are not a bad defense...they just seem to have breakdowns that result in big plays or TDs more than most teams, which results in a lot of points given up while being relatively solid the rest of the game...

A token look at their defensive numbers tells the same story:

6th in NFL in yards/play at 5.0, 6th in NFL in total yards allowed, 5th in NFL in First Downs allowed...

BUT 27th in points per game allowed, and 24th in 3rd down conversion percentage allowed...

tells a story of a defense who shuts teams down for a large percentage of time but allows a lot of big plays, a lot of 3rd down conversions and a team who probably has the points per game number inflated by being put in a bad position by a turnover happy QB and offense...

lot of young players, but I think as early as next year this defense could be a legitimate elite caliber D

Edited by matter2003

I don't see toughness as an issue for Ty - he seems plenty tough to me. He's just not built to take a pounding and he's wise to know that.

He's definitely tough..he's taken some hellacious hits running near the goal line and has popped back up every time.

However.. there are times like the missed O'Leary throw where he is in the pocket and releases a little early due to pressure and he is off target. I think these episodes are more due to nerves/ confidence than toughness