Pat Williams was in a contract year

Coach Tuesday

Sorry, but it's the truth. He's coming off a contract year in which he was far from dominant - and I'd guess that his numbers actually declined from the prior couple of years. This would all be fine - if he was willing to accept a somewhat reduced role and a FMV contract, to retire as a Bill in 2-3 years. But, he ain't. His agent, smartly, realizes his skills are in decline and suggested that he take his shot at getting Paid. I don't blame Big Pat, he was underrated and underpaid for his entire career. I don't blame TD either, for passing on a Lemon.

Hole-cloggers don't necessarily have "great numbers", they just clog holes and allow other players more freedom to make plays. Phat Pat didn't stink last year at all by any stretch of the imagination, and was a big part of the defense being Top 5.

That said, he certainly isn't worth 5 mil a year. If he holds out for that, he walks. And deservedly so.

Sorry, but it's the truth.  He's coming off a contract year in which he was far from dominant - and I'd guess that his numbers actually declined from the prior couple of years.  This would all be fine - if he was willing to accept a somewhat reduced role and a FMV contract, to retire as a Bill in 2-3 years.  But, he ain't.  His agent, smartly, realizes his skills are in decline and suggested that he take his shot at getting Paid.  I don't blame Big Pat, he was underrated and underpaid for his entire career.  I don't blame TD either, for passing on a Lemon.

252594[/snapback]

Thanks for the expert analysis coach! :devil:

Sorry, but it's the truth.  He's coming off a contract year in which he was far from dominant - and I'd guess that his numbers actually declined from the prior couple of years.  This would all be fine - if he was willing to accept a somewhat reduced role and a FMV contract, to retire as a Bill in 2-3 years.  But, he ain't.  His agent, smartly, realizes his skills are in decline and suggested that he take his shot at getting Paid.  I don't blame Big Pat, he was underrated and underpaid for his entire career.  I don't blame TD either, for passing on a Lemon.

252594[/snapback]

I disagree. He was unbelievably dominant this year! Our run defense was superb, he put pressure on the QB up the middle, and he even picked off a pass a scored a TD.

He's 31, but I would pay top dollar for him. Guys like Ted Washington and Keith Traylor prove that a DT can be in his mid-30's and still be dominant.

TD, let JJ walk and give Pat what he's asking for. He's a crucial clog to our defense.

252594[/snapback]

Wrong. He played his role in the defense to perfection this past season. It's not up to the Bills organization to point out to each fan what a players role is on the team, so those that don't see it on their own at times may be confused by a player's apparent production. This is especially true with linemen on both sides of the ball. It's understandable too because most fans need some sort of statistical measuring stick like something said player does with the football to judge for themselves how he plays.

Wrong. He played his role in the defense to perfection this past season. It's not up to the Bills organization to point out to each fan what a players role is on the team, so those that don't see it on their own at times may be confused by a player's apparent production. This is especially true with linemen on both sides of the ball. It's understandable too because most fans need some sort of statistical measuring stick like something said player does with the football to judge for themselves how he plays.

252623[/snapback]

Perhaps you're right, and Pat was asked to penetrate less last season. If that's the case, fine - but that role isn't worth the elite player contract amount he appears to be seeking.

34-78 is right. Pat played his role great for the Bills. He was absolutely dominant the last game of the season. Stats for DL are very deceiving. Big Ted had very average stats when he played for us, but I think we can all agree he was vital and dominant to our defense then.

Perhaps you're right, and Pat was asked to penetrate less last season.  If that's the case, fine - but that role isn't worth the elite player contract amount he appears to be seeking.

252645[/snapback]

I agree with you there, but it's also my belief that it's agent posturing and won't be refelected in the final contact he ends up getting. If indeed he (they) stubbornly stay at the 5 mil figure, then we indeed should not re-sign PW.