Tom Donahoe Traded a First Ropund Pick For ...

San-O

Drew Bledsoe.

Yeah, the guy who everyone wants us to stop talking about.

Why isn't anyone upset about our GM giving up a first round pick for a guy

who is washed up.  We now have nothing to show for it.  If we cut a first round

pick after three years, we would be calling for TDs head.

What gives?

Oh, and he will probably end the career of "The Tuna" in Dallas.

251297[/snapback]

Just curious...but what were you saying about the trade when it was made?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew Bledsoe.

Yeah, the guy who everyone wants us to stop talking about.

Why isn't anyone upset about our GM giving up a first round pick for a guy

who is washed up.  We now have nothing to show for it.  If we cut a first round

pick after three years, we would be calling for TDs head.

What gives?

Oh, and he will probably end the career of "The Tuna" in Dallas.

251297[/snapback]

knocking the trade is debatable.......however, the extension he gave him last year was a mistake and he should be raked over the coals for it.......just don't bet on that happening here, where TD is back in the good graces of TSW........

We now have nothing to show for it.

251297[/snapback]

I disagree. Drew and his name recognition helped bring in free agents indirectly. A draft pick (Harrington) wouldn't have helped us in that front. Players look at a few things durring free agency.

1. Money

2. Is this a team on the way up and close to winning?

3. The family aspect of the area of the team.

Drew definately helped us with number two by getting us to 8-8 in 2002. Guys like Spikes saw we were on the rise and wanted to come here. This helped the Bills in the long run.

So he wasn't "worth nothing" to us.

Let's see.

In 2001, we traded our first rounder to Tampa Bay for their first and second round picks.  Tampa Bay picked Kenyatta Walker, and we picked Nate Clements and Travis Henry.

In 2002, we traded our 2003 first rounder for Drew Bledsoe.  We used our own first rounder that year to select Mike Williams.

In 2003, the Patriots used our first rounder to select Ty Warren.

In 2003, we franchised Peerless Price, who had the best season of his career in 2002 with Drew Bledsoe throwing him the ball, and traded him to Atlanta for their first rounder.  We used that pick to select Willis McGahee.

In 2004, we used our own first round pick to select Lee Evans and traded our 2005 first rounder to Dallas for their 2004 first rounder, which we used to select JP Losman.

In 2005, the fact we have Losman made Drew expendable, so we cut him and Dallas signed him.  The fact we have McGahee made Travis expendable, so we're on the verge of sending him to Arizona for L.J. Shelton.

In 2005, we'll have Nate Clements, L.J. Shelton, Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, Lee Evans and JP Losman to show for the first round of TD's five drafts in Buffalo.  Does anyone think we could have parlayed Kenyatta Walker (whom everyone wanted us to take in 2001) into a lineup like that by now?

251357[/snapback]

Let's see.

Travis Henry, gone.

Drew Bledsoe, gone.

No first round pick in 2005.

Net result of TD's moves: 26-38

Spin that.

Just curious...but what were you saying about the trade when it was made?

251359[/snapback]

I thought it was a good trade, however that was based on my perception that

Bledsoe was a great QB. I hadn't really scouting him or done any research.

Let's see.

Travis Henry, gone.

Drew Bledsoe, gone.

Net result of TD's moves:  26-38

Spin that.

251364[/snapback]

Travis Henry, gone after three 1,000-yard seasons and traded for a starting left tackle who comes at a reasonable price.

Drew Bledsoe, gone after three seasons in which he made it possible for us to franchise Price, trade him and take McGahee, with a minimal cap hit and with a first-round QB in place.

No first round pick in 2005 because we used it in 2004 to take Bledsoe's replacement and got to groom him for a year instead of being stuck in 2005 with the current crop of FA quarterbacks and a weak QB draft.

Honestly, it amazes me that people continue to perpetuate the myth that we somehow "lost" a 2005 first-round pick.

are we really rehashing this? are you kidding?

maybe it was because the bills had NOBODY at QB, and the team desperately needed to SELL TICKETS and infuse some semblance of HOPE for a winning team to ATTRACT FREE AGENTS as well as season ticket holders.

Are you an idiot?

We gave up our first round pick that year but we regained it when DREW helped INFLATE Peerless Price's ability and value. PEERLESS is an AVERAGE receiver and we got WILLIS McGAHEE FOR HIM.

DId someone hit you over the head?

are we really rehashing this? are you kidding?

maybe it was because the bills had NOBODY at QB, and the team desperately needed to SELL TICKETS and infuse some semblance of HOPE for a winning team to ATTRACT FREE AGENTS as well as season ticket holders.

Are you an idiot?

We gave up our first round pick that year but we regained it when DREW helped INFLATE Peerless Price's ability and value. PEERLESS is an AVERAGE receiver and we got WILLIS McGAHEE FOR HIM.

DId someone hit you over the head?

251383[/snapback]

did YOU go to MY school of TYPING?

:blush:

Drew Bledsoe, gone after three seasons in which he made it possible for us to franchise Price, trade him and take McGahee, with a minimal cap hit and with a first-round QB in place.

251381[/snapback]

drew counts over 4M on our 2005 cap........that is not "minimal".........

Travis Henry, gone after three 1,000-yard seasons and traded for a starting left tackle who comes at a reasonable price.

No first round pick in 2005 because we used it in 2004 to take Bledsoe's replacement and got to groom him for a year instead of being stuck in 2005 with the current crop of FA quarterbacks and a weak QB draft.

Honestly, it amazes me that people continue to perpetuate the myth that we somehow "lost" a 2005 first-round pick.

251381[/snapback]

And what do you think our net result would have been with Kenyatta Walker at guard and Alex Van Pelt at quarterback, no Nate Clements, and no Travis Henry?

It just dawned on me that SoCal-Surf is RJ! His username gave it away. That also explains why he can't let go of the ancient trade made back in 2002, just a couple months after TD cut him...

251409[/snapback]

WOW...You might be right! Maybe he needs to spend more time looking for the tasty waves than Bills Bashing?

Jeff

Let's see.

Travis Henry, gone.

Drew Bledsoe, gone.

Net result of TD's moves:  26-38

Spin that.

251364[/snapback]

Okay, so back in April of 2002 were you one of the thousands of Bills fans rejoicing and saying, "FINALLY! WE HAVE A QUARTERBACK WHO CAN PLAY!!!!". I don't have the exact numbers in front of me here, but I think about 96% of Bills Nation felt some sort of optimism when TD made the trade for Bledsoe three years ago. It was absolutely the right move...if you remember, the alternatives were sticking with RJ for another season or Jeff Blake.

Yep, Jeff Blake probably would've put Buffalo in the playoffs last year.

In retrospect, it was not a good deal and with the exception of his first six games Bledsoe did not suceed here.

And now, to your most recent post...Travis Henry and Drew Bledsoe are both gone. That would be relevant if the Bills were planning on going with Joe Burns and Shane Matthews next year. Willis McGahee and JP Losman (two recent first-round picks) will taking their place.

As for no first-round picks this year...well heck, they had two last year. They took Evans (who looks like a real player) and Losman (who the jury is still out on, but has been stamped as the QB of the future).

Fact of the matter is, since TD took over the reins, this team is better now than it was in 2001 and is poised to make a playoff run. He took a disaster of a defense and acquired the right names to make it one of the best in the league. He made a trade for a QB who was (at the time) still considered to be one of the premier names in the game.

It didn't work out, hey that's sports. But while we were sitting through Bledsoe, he used three first-round picks in two years to develop a base for the future in Losman, McGahee and Evans. As previously stated, this team is so much better now than it was in 2001.

Which GM would you have preferred to come in here and take care of the cap mess left by Butler and turn this team around immediately??

We desparately needed Drew in 2002. We probably did overpay for him, but we went from a 3-13 bottom feeder who was having trouble even staying in games to a team on the brink of contention. That was as far as Drew could take us, but without him we would've still been hopelessly paddling around the 3-13 mark and the seats would've been empty. It's time to move on, but I'm glad he was here and am thankful for what he gave the team and community.

Okay, so back in April of 2002 were you one of the thousands of Bills fans rejoicing and saying, "FINALLY!  WE HAVE A QUARTERBACK WHO CAN PLAY!!!!".  I don't have the exact numbers in front of me here, but I think about 96% of Bills Nation felt some sort of optimism when TD made the trade for Bledsoe three years ago.  It was absolutely the right move...if you remember, the alternatives were sticking with RJ for another season or Jeff Blake. 

Yep, Jeff Blake probably would've put Buffalo in the playoffs last year.

In retrospect, it was not a good deal and with the exception of his first six games Bledsoe did not suceed here. 

And now, to your most recent post...Travis Henry and Drew Bledsoe are both gone.  That would be relevant if the Bills were planning on going with Joe Burns and Shane Matthews next year.  Willis McGahee and JP Losman (two recent first-round picks) will taking their place. 

As for no first-round picks this year...well heck, they had two last year.  They took Evans (who looks like a real player) and Losman (who the jury is still out on, but has been stamped as the QB of the future). 

Fact of the matter is, since TD took over the reins, this team is better now than it was in 2001 and is poised to make a playoff run.  He took a disaster of a defense and acquired the right names to make it one of the best in the league.  He made a trade for a QB who was (at the time) still considered to be one of the premier names in the game. 

It didn't work out, hey that's sports.  But while we were sitting through Bledsoe, he used three first-round picks in two years to develop a base for the future in Losman, McGahee and Evans.  As previously stated, this team is so much better now than it was in 2001. 

Which GM would you have preferred to come in here and take care of the cap mess left by Butler and turn this team around immediately??

251482[/snapback]

I don't know. Who else was available?

And what do you mean turn the team around immediately?

Four years, two head coaches and three QBs later: one (1) winning season?

TD should get credit for cleaning up the cap mess.

It would be tough though to get a draft pick as he was a owed a signing bonus on MARCH 2nd.  So that meant the Bills had to trade him before that.  Since other teams also know that, why trade with him as opposed to wait till after the 2nd when you know the Bills are going to cut him. 

Travis Henry is a bit different.  If the Bill's don't get a good offer they can keep him, or atleast till some one makes a better offer.  In the meantime, it's not costing the Bill's anything additional to wait.

251348[/snapback]

We didn't have to get rid of Bledsoe. So what if he's pissed riding the pine behind Losman. We could have kept his contract and him on the team.

The 1mil bonus for March 2 was already on the cap right?

Oh well, other than that I think Bledsoe has been good for Buffalo. He took us as far as he could go and now it's JP's turn to get us to the promise land.