Is the Bills identity really that of a run heavy team?

The results are undeniable.

I think the point is that they give the wrong impression of play calling. Its still a good thing that the play calling is very balanced.

If the passing game can get it together, it would mean great things for the offense.

Taylor started off slow last year before getting in sync with Watkins. Now he has no Watkins. Its gonna be tough sledding.

Exactly

we sure aren't a passing team, half of TTs drop backs turn into runs

Yes some turn into runs, not half of course, but the intention was to throw the ball.

You have an elite talent in Shady. Use him, especially when playing bad run defenses. Who cares if you don't throw for 300 yards? Control the ball and make the other guys play from behind.

Also consider the idea that you don't want to show the Pats everything you can do offensively.

You're thinking of Fitz.

Ha! I can see how my comment was interpreted in that way. No, what I meant was that I seem to be waiting for the Bills Defense to come up with the big play to bail us out of a jam and put the game on ice, whereas a couple of completed TD passes on the part of Taylor (or at least a couple of timely completions putting the team in a scoring position) would have reduced the need for the D to come up big.

It's a long way of saying that I'm not sold on Taylor after 5 games. So...go, Shady, go. Run, Forrest, Run.

I think the point is that they give the wrong impression of play calling. Its still a good thing that the play calling is very balanced.

If the passing game can get it together, it would mean great things for the offense.

Taylor started off slow last year before getting in sync with Watkins. Now he has no Watkins. Its gonna be tough sledding.

Yes the fact that the passes tend to be short ones also contributes to the feel that the Bills are a run heavy team.

The part they need to "get together" in the passing game is calling more deep routes and throwing the ball to the deep route and executing those plays.

Last game they tried it one time and didn't execute. That is not enough attempts in my opinion, even when you are winning a game. If you want to be a dominant NFL team, you need to take more of those shots and learn how to execute them. Until the Bills learn how to do that is display it week to week, they will not be a dominant team in the NFL.

I really wish they would get that part of the game working. I question how much emphasis they even put on it though.

Run the ball to setup the deep throw. The Bills are running well. Where were the deep throws last game? One and done. I would like to see them attempt it more often.

Run the ball to setup the deep throw. The Bills are running well. Where were the deep throws last game? One and done. I would like to see them attempt it more often.

Question is do you want to move the sticks and control the clock or go 3-and-out. WE are already the worst 3-and-out team.

When Taylor can start catching his own passes the drives won't stall as often

I think there have been some good things coming from the passing game. Clay is getting more involved. Taylor does have some completions and they seem to be spread around to different receivers. Losing 2 of your top receivers has got to be tough. I think he just needs a bit of time to adjust. Honestly, I cannot see him dropping off that much as a QB. He is still protecting the ball and the run is certainly clicking. I don't see the run game as being a long term answer though, because defenses will catch up. He and his receivers are going to have to get the pass going. Whether the pass game starts clicking early enough to make a real difference, I don't know. I will say again though, that he does not seem to be having much trouble down in the redzone. We have been scoring TDs on pass plays. I'd like to see some better consistency. To me it doesn't look like they are far off. The offense still looks dangerous, even without Sammy and Greg.

Last year Tyrod was killing it on the edges. This year he is passing over the middle more. I wonder if he needs to sprinkle in more sideline throws and go routes. Seems to me they are just figuring out what works and so far there is progress but they just need to keep working hard. I'm no expert for sure, but I am pretty optimistic overall with where things are heading. If Sammy can come back in time for a playoff push, things could really get interesting.

Edited by Rockinon