Enough with the Bourbon Kings of the NFL!

On the Bills, #53 is reserved for former Tar Heel LBs.

Newman

Z. Brown

Great rant, OP!

:thumbsup: Compromise: NFL should allow all the IVs and Vs provided the player presents an authenticated ancestry.com genealogy. No different middle names allowed. It must be precisely the same name to qualify for Roman numeral treatment. And nobody is allowed "II" (and in "the second") because if you're the second you're just plain old Junior.

I didn't say cheap, I said ridiculous.

Well, to get serious for a moment: names on jerseys are for one purpose as far as I can see - to allow fans (announcers too?) to readily identify a player without resorting to a roster chart. They are not meant to serve as self-promotion tools ("Ochocinco") or honorifics to departed ancestors ("Will Fuller V") or progeny here or yet to come ("Steve Smith Sr." because his wife is pregnant with the prospective "Jr."). I'm just saying this is what's getting ridiculous.

Did someone say Bourbon?

I understand what you're saying. You're complaining about someone's name being displayed on the back of their jersey. I think that's ridiculous.

I think the complaint is, why do they have to change it from just the singular name when it is totally unnecessary, unless they are just trying to say "HEY! LOOK AT ME"

Did someone say Bourbon?

I think the complaint is, why do they have to change it from just the singular name when it is totally unnecessary, unless they are just trying to say "HEY! LOOK AT ME"

Why does everyone seem to think I don't understand the complaint? I understand the complaint. I think it's ridiculous. What someone would prefer to be called or displayed on their jersey has zero impact on anyone here.

Why does everyone seem to think I don't understand the complaint? I understand the complaint. I think it's ridiculous. What someone would prefer to be called or displayed on their jersey has zero impact on anyone here.

Well, it's not really a complaint. It's more of an observation, of the nature of "Self-Important NFL Players Go to Great Lengths to Try to Distinguish Themselves." Really, who walks around life being known as "the Third" or "the Fourth?" I used to be involved in hiring in my job. Some job postings job a thousand or more resumes. I think I've seen "The Third" once, and everyone laughed at how pompous it sounded (he didn't get a job).

So it's more of a humorous (to some; there's no such thing as explaining a joke to someone who doesn't get it!) commentary than a complaint ...

I'm not looking it up the reason but wasn't it a tribute to his mom who passed away? Just to make you feel bad

Yep. Now I feel bad. I felt bad when I wrote it. TBH it makes no difference to me what a player chooses for their name badge. My comment was a poor attempt at humor.