Gilmore "O-lay" move on Blount

The flying head butt is true, but Gilmore doesn't move in the direction of the headbutt. I think it's good field awareness - he sees Corey Graham and 5? approaching fast from the side, and it looks to me as though having slowed Blount so they can get there, he deliberately steps to the opposite side to let them "lay the lumber" - which they do. The headbutt would knock Gilmore backwards, but if you look carefully he actually starts to step to the side before Blount does his headbutt thing, and Blount kind of whips his head to the side to helmet him anyway. At least that's what I think I see. Gilmore's job on this play appears to be to contain, keep Blount from cutting outside and outrunning the teammate help that's closing fast.

Thanks for the clip, Cease Fires. Sheesh to hear these guys talk I woulda thought Gilmore stepped aside and left Blount with a clear shot at the endzone instead of positioning himself so Graham can do the guided missile whammy without putting Gilmore at the bottom of the pile.

If he got low, kept his head up, and wrapped he could tackle Blount and hold him in place for Graham to missile over. IMO he lacks faith in his abilities to tackle Blount in the open field without a running start, and with good reason. If he stayed in place, the most likely outcome would have been Blount knocks Stephon back on his a** and leaves cleatmarks as he runs him over.

IMHO the stepping to the right was part of Gilmore's job on the play - I think his job was to contain and keep Blount from cutting out to the sideline and running away from Graham and the LB who are closing fast from the left side of the clip. I think, having delayed Blount just long enough to see that Graham and the LB (can't see his number) will get there, he steps to the side then back to make sure Blount can't juke back away from them and lets them have a clear path to launch.

It's not the sort of tackling and play I favor (what if they slip? or a Pat blocks them out? wrap and tackle, man!) but it is a fairly common use of teamwork these days to bring down a moose on the loose like Blount

We can disagree, both scenarios are possible, only Gilmore knows for certain