Henry / Shelton article

http://notjustagame.com/articles/184/

Henry To Cardinals

Written by: zackc

2005-02-23 14:28:24

The Bills are doing everything they can to satisfy Travis Henry’s requests of a trade, and currently there is one hot rumor out there involving Henry and the Cardinals.

There is no question the Cardinals need a running back, with the departure of Emmitt Smith and the unknown health and return capability of Marcel Shipp. At only 27 years old Henry still possesses a lot of strong years left, especially since he’ll be fresh after practically having a year off due to injury. He is one of the smallish backs in the league in height at 5’9, but has superior strength especially in his legs that he uses to hit the hole explosively. With his small stature and blazing speed, defenses have a hard time finding him behind big offensive lineman, and when they do Henry already has the angle on them.

The offensive lineman that the Cardinals are potentially willing to trade for Henry is what you would define big in LJ Shelton. A former first round pick by the Cardinals, he has became disgruntled in Arizona with Dennis Green and wants out. The Bills could definitely use him to open more lanes for Willis McGahee and give JP Losman extra-secured protection. He is a capable Pro Bowl lineman if he wants to be, and a new situation may merit that.

For Henry he’ll get a chance to make a mockery of the Bills decision to choose him over McGahee. In Henry’s two full seasons as starter he had around 1400 yards rushing and double digits in touchdowns. The foreshadowing of McGahee taking over was evident from day one when the Bills drafted him with the twentieth pick in the draft a few years ago. The Bills knew they were going to bring McGahee along slowly, and give him a chance to take the job. Henry’s contract is up this year, and would be meaningless for him to sit around unhappy on the bench with his ability.

If the Bills can’t work out a deal with the Cardinals, there will be a definite alternative route with other teams. Henry’s numbers from previous years aren’t a fluke, and he’ll make a team extremely happy next season. Just look at how quickly the NFL evolves. Not even two years ago the Bills were going into the 2003 season with Drew Bledsoe and Travis Henry as their future leaders, now it’s JP Losman and Willis McGahee. This duo should be a tandem for a decent amount of time.

His blazing speed?!?! ;):lol:;):lol:

http://notjustagame.com/articles/184/

Henry To Cardinals

Written by: zackc

2005-02-23 14:28:24

The Bills are doing everything they can to satisfy Travis Henry’s requests of a trade, and currently there is one hot rumor out there involving Henry and the Cardinals.

There is no question the Cardinals need a running back, with the departure of Emmitt Smith and the unknown health and return capability of Marcel Shipp. At only 27 years old Henry still possesses a lot of strong years left, especially since he’ll be fresh after practically having a year off due to injury. He is one of the smallish backs in the league in height at 5’9, but has superior strength especially in his legs that he uses to hit the hole explosively. With his small stature and blazing speed, defenses have a hard time finding him behind big offensive lineman, and when they do Henry already has the angle on them.

The offensive lineman that the Cardinals are potentially willing to trade for Henry is what you would define big in LJ Shelton. A former first round pick by the Cardinals, he has became disgruntled in Arizona with Dennis Green and wants out. The Bills could definitely use him to open more lanes for Willis McGahee and give JP Losman extra-secured protection. He is a capable Pro Bowl lineman if he wants to be, and a new situation may merit that.

For Henry he’ll get a chance to make a mockery of the Bills decision to choose him over McGahee. In Henry’s two full seasons as starter he had around 1400 yards rushing and double digits in touchdowns. The foreshadowing of McGahee taking over was evident from day one when the Bills drafted him with the twentieth pick in the draft a few years ago. The Bills knew they were going to bring McGahee along slowly, and give him a chance to take the job. Henry’s contract is up this year, and would be meaningless for him to sit around unhappy on the bench with his ability.

If the Bills can’t work out a deal with the Cardinals, there will be a definite alternative route with other teams. Henry’s numbers from previous years aren’t a fluke, and he’ll make a team extremely happy next season. Just look at how quickly the NFL evolves. Not even two years ago the Bills were going into the 2003 season with Drew Bledsoe and Travis Henry as their future leaders, now it’s JP Losman and Willis McGahee. This duo should be a tandem for a decent amount of time.

250165[/snapback]

I liked the pro bowl comment from Shelton.  I am one who thinks Shelton is good and yes a little better than Jennings, but I don't ever see him making the pro bowl.

250197[/snapback]

Why does that matter? Everyone knows the Pro Bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest and in reality, it's better for the overall picture if your players don't make the Pro Bowl because you don't have to pay their escalators.

And best of all, when Travis is traded, we can all start talking about what a piece of sh-- HE was and how poorly he'll do.  Oh joy!

250356[/snapback]

Thats what being an NFL fan is all about...talking up the guys you got, and bad-mouthing those who leave you. People have got to stop acting like this is specific to the Buffalo Bills...the other 31 teams' fans do the exact same thing. If you dont want to be a part of it (I myself consider it beneath me to insult a guy already out the door) then just dont post anything about it or take offense when other people do it. Its the way it goes. Let people vent any way they want to, it doesnt bother me if people slam Bledsoe now that he's a Cowboy, its their choice.

And best of all, when Travis is traded, we can all start talking about what a piece of sh-- HE was and how poorly he'll do.  Oh joy!

250356[/snapback]

Yeah, he really sucked, especially in 2003 when he only had some 1400 yards and 10 TDs. 2002 was just as bad, a meager 1500 yards and 13 TDs and a Pro-Bowl. Thank goodness we're getting rid of that piece of sh--. ;)

Thats what being an NFL fan is all about...talking up the guys you got, and bad-mouthing those who leave you.  People have got to stop acting like this is specific to the Buffalo Bills...the other 31 teams' fans do the exact same thing.  If you dont want to be a part of it (I myself consider it beneath me to insult a guy already out the door) then just dont post anything about it or take offense when other people do it.  Its the way it goes.  Let people vent any way they want to, it doesnt bother me if people slam Bledsoe now that he's a Cowboy, its their choice.

Yeah and lots of people do lots of ridicuous/stupid/unbelievable stuff: it doesn't make it right. Especially when you consider all the good that Drew (and Travis) did while he was here, which is what is beyond the comprehension of a lot of people, and is what I have a problem with. Drew got the Bills their 1st round pick they traded for him back by making Price look like a stud. He also helped the Bills attract a lot of good FA's who otherwise probably would have gone elsewhere without someone like him at the helm. Did he lead the Bills to the playoffs? No, but the blame goes FAR beyond just him, and that is probably why he felt blindsided by the decision to cut him and go with JP. Hell I don't hear anyone calling out Kelly for being drunk the morning of the SB's and failing to win even 1 in 4 of them, with a MUCH better offense, ST's, and a decent defense.

Yeah, he really sucked, especially in 2003 when he only had some 1400 yards and 10 TDs.  2002 was just as bad, a meager 1500 yards and 13 TDs and a Pro-Bowl.  Thank goodness we're getting rid of that piece of sh--.    ;)

250474[/snapback]

Travis never had 1500, even if you round up. He made the pro bowl as the 3rd alternate that year which meant there were a bunch of guys selected before him and only because of injuries or not wanting to play did he go.

Also the other year he had 1356. Neither of these are "great" by any standard and is pretty much expected from a starting running back.

Now I will admit he is a decent "running" back but the other parts of his game were so glaringly bad. He is not a top or second tier running back and will stuggle to do well with any of the teams that he will go to as they will not be able to make up for his other deficiancies.

Why does that matter?  Everyone knows the Pro Bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest and in reality, it's better for the overall picture if your players don't make the Pro Bowl because you don't have to pay their escalators.

250203[/snapback]

which begs another question; why can't professional athletes in the prime of their careers use the stairs like everyone else?

damn primadonnas.

Everytime I read that someone 'fell out of favor' with a coach, I read that to mean the coach and he didn't get along, not that it was a performance issue.

250607[/snapback]

nothing said, or that i have read, about shelton bothers me in the least. I am pumped. A starting tackle signed for 3 more years at a reasonable price is a bonanza in this league.

Go get it done now mouse mcnally!