A freaking rant

dib

OK, so the Dell finally got so slow I decided I had done all I could for it and it was time for a new PC.

So, I buy an HP pavillion from Best Buy, take it home, hook it up and voila- I cannot connect to the internet. Call HP (AKA India) after 4 hours the "tech" tells me to "Open the computer because the modem may have come loose in shipping" It was at this point I hung up. Take the HP back (it had given me a modem hardware malfunction message) and got a new one.

Guess what. Modem cannot detect a dial tone. (connection is fine I checked it). Called HP (aka India) "tech" tells me to OPEN THE COMPUTER because....yes, you guessed it "The modem may have come loose in shipping" can you say 'script". I asked how it's possible that two brand new computers can have 'loose modems' the answer "it can happen".

So, this afternoon I go to Best Buy again with blood in my eyes. The saga continues.

And, Boys and Girls all the while, Rome: Total War sits on my desk cooling it's heels.

I buy my computers at Best Buy. But I pay the $25 for them to unpack it, go through everything and get it user ready.  Saves a lot of headaches.

249529[/snapback]

It's me. In my youthful enthusiasm I figured everything would be proper and correct to begin with.

dude, you shoulda got a Dell.

249555[/snapback]

Better yet, find a local convenient PC builder. A mom and pop one that will build exactly what you want. Some place that you can call and get tech help that isnt 8000 miles away and read from a playbook. These people will have hands on pc knowledge and can give you practical help. Often cheaper pcs and certainly more user friendly as far as customer service. I build my own but buy my parts off of a local independent guy here. Often I have had some trouble with my pc and have been able to get good advice quickly from him either by phone or by taking the thing to him. Just my two cents but it has always been better for me this way no matter where Ive lived. I can relate to the customer service being in India though. My dsl phone tech help is in India or somewhere like that and its frustrating as hell. Between the scripted responses and the dropped phone calls it has convinced me to change broadband providers when my contract runs out in the summer. Also it looks like Verizon is going to have a better deal anyway.

Dude, Get a Mac... most reliable and easiest computer you will ever use.

My addition to this rant column is that i work a fluggin Sage Rosenfels throw away from the RCA Dome (staring at the dome from my window at the moment) and because of the "dome" i can't see what is going on. All i see is the lines of players crossing the street in front of me as i try to get to my parking garage. Why can't they make the NFL Network free for college students? :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Satellite TV

OK, so the Dell finally got so slow I decided I had done all I could for it and it was time for a new PC.

So, I buy an HP pavillion from Best Buy, take it home, hook it up and voila- I cannot connect to the internet.  Call HP (AKA India) after 4 hours the "tech" tells me to "Open the computer because the modem may have come loose in shipping" It was at this point I hung up.  Take the HP back (it had given me a modem hardware malfunction message) and got a new one.

Guess what. Modem cannot detect a dial tone. (connection is fine I checked it). Called HP (aka India) "tech" tells me to OPEN THE COMPUTER because....yes, you guessed it "The modem may have come loose in shipping"  can you say 'script". I asked how it's possible that two brand new computers can have 'loose modems'  the answer "it can happen".

So, this afternoon I go to Best Buy again with blood in my eyes.  The saga continues.

And, Boys and Girls all the while, Rome: Total War sits on my desk cooling it's heels.

249445[/snapback]

dib, the included modem is probably worth 2 dollars anyway.

You might consider an external modem (assuming you have an external serial port). I purchased a Best Data Model 56SX-92 External. It has it's own processor to quicken things up, and I seleted this model because of it's compatibility with Linux as well as with Windows. I paid about 35 bucks.

And all modems get hung up from time to time. With an external, you just turn off it's switch or disconnect the power lead, reconnect, and you are back in business without having to re-boot.

If it's a cable modem you are talking about, disregard the above... :doh:

Never ever buy retail. When you buy HP, Compaq ect from retail giants you are buying other peoples garbage. Open them up sometime and take a look. Many of the parts inside say refurbished!

Did you ever wonder why HP's and Compaqs are so much cheaper than IBM or SOny. ITs because they rebuild their computers from all of their returns.

TOTAL CRAP.

Dell is ok, but I have to agree that your best bet is to order the parts and build one yourseldf or have someone do it for you.

249611[/snapback]

Getting a Mac is like putting up a rainbow sticker on your car's back window. :doh:

My rant is that people just don't know how to use computers. Dell's are awesome. My desktop at home is a Dell. I have a HP Pavilion laptop as well. Both are awesome and run like clockwork. People will always say company A sucks, or company B sucks. I'm of the notion that user of company A's computer and/or company's B computer sucks.

My addition to this rant column is that i work a fluggin Sage Rosenfels throw away from the RCA Dome (staring at the dome from my window at the moment) and because of the "dome" i can't see what is going on.  All i see is the lines of players crossing the street in front of me as i try to get to my parking garage.  Why can't they make the NFL Network free for college students?  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Satellite TV

249611[/snapback]

I am a college student and the NFL Network is free for me.

He did.  It's still being shipped.  :lol:

249771[/snapback]

I really don't understand why some people really hate Dell...I have 2 of them at home...one is 3-4 years old the other about 2...I've never had a problem with either of them...and that's even with my kids beating the sh-- out of the older one...maybe I'm just lucky. I know I would never hesitate to get another, in fact, I'm considering buying a notebook from them. Go Dell!!! :doh:

Getting a Mac is like putting up a rainbow sticker on your car's back window.  :lol:

249770[/snapback]

It is called a Decal my friend, not a "sticker". :doh: And its on the side window, not the back window. Its right next to the decal of a big wrench to keep people the fluck away from my car.

In all seriousness Macs are cool, the world will eventually be controlled by Steve Jobs, so be nice or pay the price in the future.

I would never hesitate to buy a dell. I've purchased, installed and worked on hundreds of them as well as several other brands. Of the name brands, IBM, compaq, HP, etc., Dell is by far the most straight forward and easiest to work on.

For my own use I prefer to build my own. Is it any better or cheaper, probably not in the short term. When I want to upgrade I can replace the components and I know exactly what is in it for troubleshooting. When you want to upgrade a name brand system, you buy a new one and get rid of the old one. Of course if you are not technically savvy or willing to pay extra for local retailers, Dells prices are as good as any.