Don't be shocked if Travis Brown gets cut

PromoTheRobot

Donahow might roll the dice, figuring no one else will sign TB. The Bills can always bring him back later once he heals. I think Brown played well in pre-season but the numbers are too tight at other positions like safety and RB.

For that matter, Dorenbos could be a goner too. But it's not like he doesn't have something to fall back on.

PTR

Donahow might roll the dice, figuring no one else will sign TB.  The Bills can always bring him back later once he heals.  I think Brown played well in pre-season but the numbers are too tight at other positions like safety and RB.

For that matter, Dorenbos could be a goner too.  But it's not like he doesn't have something to fall back on.

PTR

18789[/snapback]

I agree...I think we're better off with Matthews overall then with Brown. I feel badly that he's been stung by the injury thing again, but Matthews at least a bit more game experience.

I agree completely. No one is going to bring in TB until he's healthy, and then he won't know that team's system at all. The Bills shouldn't waste a roster spot on a guy who they can easily pickup later if needed, and Matthews has shown more in 2 days and a pre-season game with the Bills than TB has in 3+ years. Of course it would mean an injury settlement.

Donahow might roll the dice, figuring no one else will sign TB.  The Bills can always bring him back later once he heals.  I think Brown played well in pre-season but the numbers are too tight at other positions like safety and RB.

PTR

18789[/snapback]

I didn't see any other team fighting to sign TB after the Bills agreed to an injury settlement with him last year. I don't think TD would be "rolling the dice at all". I go with Bledsoe, Matthews & Losman on the 53 man roster. I'm not sure if Zolman goes on the practice squad.

I agree too. Cut TB and wait to resign him at a later point. Nobody will pick this guy up. Matthews is perfect example of a vet backup QB. He has playing and STARTING experience, knows how to adapt, being he played for like 25 teams, and can teach losman about how to have a level head, as well as QB smarts. Yeah, brown could have done that too, but at least Matthews has played in the nfl before.

I agree completely.  No one is going to bring in TB until he's healthy, and then he won't know that team's system at all.  The Bills shouldn't waste a roster spot on a guy who they can easily pickup later if needed, and Matthews has shown more in 2 days and a pre-season game with the Bills than TB has in 3+ years.  Of course it would mean an injury settlement.

18812[/snapback]

My understanding of the rules is that an injury settlement for TB means that we cannot pick him sign him and activiate him again until game 10.

This doesn't bother me because I had no faith in TB being the answer to out back-up QB issues this year anyway unless he showed me more (which actually he was beginning to do).

However, if he is unavailable until game 10, to me this means wait 'til next year as part of the Bills plans (barring another huge round of Bills QB injuries) and as far as next year there should be some other option like a Vlek or Kordell who works out by next year if we are searching for a back-up.

The inury settlement route with TB strikes me as writing him off and saying goodbye and it does not appear the braintrust is ready to do that and actually seems to hope TB recovery will allow him back soon after the bye.

Matthews showed well, but unfortunately I do not see him as the answer at #2 either. One game maybe, but the 3 games providing a reasonable chance to win I think we want from out #2 (playing the Frank Reich role) I doubt it. he almost spent the season at home on his couch for a reason.

My understanding of the rules is that an injury settlement for TB means that we cannot pick him sign him and activiate him again until game 10.

This doesn't bother me because I had no faith in TB being the answer to out back-up QB issues this year anyway unless he showed me more (which actually he was beginning to do).

However, if he is unavailable until game 10, to me this means wait 'til next year as part of the Bills plans (barring another huge round of Bills QB injuries) and as far as next year there should be some other option like a Vlek or Kordell who works out by next year if we are searching for a back-up.

The inury settlement route with TB strikes me as writing him off and saying goodbye and it does not appear the braintrust is ready to do that and actually seems to hope TB recovery will allow him back soon after the bye.

Matthews showed well, but unfortunately I do not see him as the answer at #2 either.  One game maybe, but the 3 games providing a reasonable chance to win I think we want from out #2 (playing the Frank Reich role) I doubt it.  he almost spent the season at home on his couch for a reason.

18912[/snapback]

Why would you think it would be a sign that they are saying goodbye? Surely, Travis Brown knows the situation, knows there are a lot of young players who deserve a roster spot, knows that carrying four active QBs is not something done much, and that this is what they did with him last year. I would imagine that counting an injury settlement, and his contract for the last six games may be more than he is making with his full year salary as is.

I am sure that he would prefer to stay on the active roster (simply because he doesnt want to lose it in case Matthews plays very well) but I doubt TB would hold so much ill will towards the Bills if they cut him now that he refused to sign after 10 weeks if no one else did. The drawback is, obviously, missing the games 4-10 and missing the team meetings and practices. I think they are likely to keep TB, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was cut and then brought back like last year.