I hope Donahoe is smart enough

VABills

to sign a backup Qb to a minimum of 2-3 years.  We need some consistency and the ability not only for JP but the backup to learn the offense.  Rolling over a backup every year doesn't seem like the smart thing to do.

248773[/snapback]

Yeah I agree...I think that has to be more than a one year deal, just to get some consistency with our backup QB spot. Thats why I like drafting a QB in the 4th/5th round as well to develop into Losman's long-term backup. Give him 1-2 years as the 3rd stringer, and then let him finish out his deal as the backup and see how he does. This is a pretty weak QB class in terms of starting material, but I see a lot of potentially solid NFL backups in this year's draft.

to sign a backup Qb to a minimum of 2-3 years.  We need some consistency and the ability not only for JP but the backup to learn the offense.  Rolling over a backup every year doesn't seem like the smart thing to do.

248773[/snapback]

You know, Rob Johnson is reportedly looking for a job in 2005. He has reportedly recovered from all of his injuries! :w00t:

We'll see, I don't know if he can talk Shane Matthews into committing to more than 1 year.

248783[/snapback]

That's kind of my point. Let's be careful with the Garcias, etc...

I would rather see a Tim Couch, etc.. then someone who is just a "good" backup for a year.

248773[/snapback]

Oh and sign a decent kicker. We're gonna need one of those I'm sure. What we really need is a backup RB to take the load off of Willis. This is a running team now.

i'm sure he will. but it'll probably be someone with some mobility. the best case scenario is that matthews stays on board (if we don't draft another prospect) as the 3rd QB and we sign a veteran with character and a good work ethic who's mobile and well liked.

problem is, i'm not sure that anyone meets that criteria.

Personally I like these 2 guys.

Mine McMahon

I think he would come pretty cheap seeing as how there are a lot of veterans who are clogging up the market place.

positives are:

1) He is pretty mobile - check out his rushing totals. Plug him into the system for the next couple of years and you can get some pretty good reliability in the back-up role, with a similar style of play.

2) He went to Rutgers Univ. right in NJ. They produce some scrappy, heavy hearted individuals, right?

3) He played for the horrible Detroit Lions who were symbols of mediocrity until the arrival of Mooch, when he offered a glimmer of semblance.

And I would select this guy in the draft to groom as Losman's eventual back up:

Stefon Lefors

He actually battled Losman back in 2003 and put up some pretty good #'s against him. Again, he is similar in style but scouts say he lacks size. We could get him in the 4th or 5th round.

QB Stefan LeFors -- All he did as a senior was lead the nation in passing efficiency and lead the nation's top scoring offense to a conference championship. He's mobile, accurate and smart and possesses good instincts, but his lack of size (6-0, 200) will likely drop him to the late rounds at best.