Bills need to use Sammy in the slot!

Cover 1

Thank u

I do expect him to move him around. He did it w Crabtree. It is funny u mentioned screens, as soon as I started doing research on ways to get Sammy the ball I noticed Roman using a lot more WR screens. But that was his final year in SF when he had boldin who is like a RB playing WR. The Bills did pull that out vs the NYJ in week 17. So yes, I do expect more of that as well...

Thanks Erik. I expect Roman to be a bit unexpected this year. I mentioned once or twice that that my respect for Roman is pretty high, Those that box him in might be surprised.

I notice you use the logical approach. Which i respect. The past is a good predictor . but not definitive.

If Bills are on the cusp playoff time , I can see G-Ro getting freaky.

Guy has some depth to him

If it aint broke, dont fix it. I'd love to see Sammy get more touches, but he's good enough that Tyrod is able to get him the targets he wants on the outside and I wouldnt want to risk that with an experiment. But maybe it is worth a shot. As long as we dont keep trying it if it doesnt work out.

Look at Sammies College tape and tell me you don't want more

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd wonder if it was even the same guy! At Clemson it was almost all bubble screens, now it's all 50 yards down field. Hope we start mixing it up, because he can do it all.

Thanks Erik. I expect Roman to be a bit unexpected this year. I mentioned once or twice that that my respect for Roman is pretty high, Those that box him in might be surprised.

I notice you use the logical approach. Which i respect. The past is a good predictor . but not definitive.

If Bills are on the cusp playoff time , I can see G-Ro getting freaky.

Guy has some depth to him

Not definitive, but I also think having an overbearing head coach like Harbaugh hurt Roman's philosophy and approach. In 2014, they 9ers wanted more out of their pass game bc they paid Kap and he obviously wasn't ready. I dont think Roman wanted to get away from the run like they did. I believe he has the freedom and trust of Rex to do what he wants and I think that his true creativity is able to shine now, at his pace.

Not definitive, but I also think having an overbearing head coach like Harbaugh hurt Roman's philosophy and approach. In 2014, they 9ers wanted more out of their pass game bc they paid Kap and he obviously wasn't ready. I dont think Roman wanted to get away from the run like they did. I believe he has the freedom and trust of Rex to do what he wants and I think that his true creativity is able to shine now, at his pace.

Interesting point Erik. I never really knew his background, nor the hierarchy and its role in game planning. Certainly worth consideration !

You're right I do want more. Screens and things other than go routes. I'm conflicted.

Do not be. The first year under Roman was a developmental year. Same as Rex.

Get your footing, take the off season and review.

These folks ARE smart cookies

You'd wonder if it was even the same guy! At Clemson it was almost all bubble screens, now it's all 50 yards down field. Hope we start mixing it up, because he can do it all.

Yep. Because he can, And Tyrod can/could. Once the O line gets settled and some receivers become buds with TT. the playbook can shift.

I hope last years lamb gets on it's hooves and show it's teeth a bit this season.

You guys are nuts for wanting Sammy in the slot and on screens, NFL linebackers are unforgiving. Keep him outside just don't ignore him for a quarter of the season.

I believe Sammy is also an NFL player, and I'm not advocating for offering his ribs up with an errant EJ pass. Other WR's run more than go routes. He's a football player. Period.

I believe Sammy is also an NFL player, and I'm not advocating for offering his ribs up with an errant EJ pass. Other WR's run more than go routes. He's a football player. Period.

Mike Shanahan probably said something similar after running that read option for a year with RG3. So more read options, WR screens, and QB draws. We will never be stopped until Watkins and TT go off on stretchers.

Do not be. The first year under Roman was a developmental year. Same as Rex.

Get your footing, take the off season and review.

These folks ARE smart cookies

Fair enough man. I'm only conflicted because I think we've got something great with what we have. Top 4 in offensive efficiency when the big 3 is healthy. But you're right, I do hope it will grow

You guys are nuts for wanting Sammy in the slot and on screens, NFL linebackers are unforgiving. Keep him outside just don't ignore him for a quarter of the season.

Far smaller players operate in the slot enough without getting injured. It's the NFL. That is not an excuse lol. If you read the article it was about using him open and to create opportunities for others. He is more than a 9 route runner.

Far smaller players operate in the slot enough without getting injured. It's the NFL. That is not an excuse lol. If you read the article it was about using him open and to create opportunities for others. He is more than a 9 route runner.

It's the NFL. He is a football player. How redundant. Has he shown an ability to avoid hits and stay healthy or stay healthy while absorbing them?

Sammy is great at beating his man, tracking deep balls, and drawing a safety over the top. All the whilst being ignored for a quarter of the season he had over 1,000 yards receiving. His skill set will force teams to bracket him and that in itself creates the spacing for other guys to benefit.

Sammy is not as big as Julio, Sammy is not as elusive as Odell or Antonio. Those are guys who line up all over the place. Sammy is at his best outside, much like ARob, read the description of the X WR.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.fieldgulls.com/platform/amp/nfl-draft/2014/3/25/5545082/nfl-draft-2014-allen-robinson-scouting-report

I don't recall but were his injuries due to hits?? Your are selling Sammy short. You don't take a guy 4th overall and just use him outside. He is much more talented than that. So ur saying Crabtree is more elusive than Sammy. If u read the article u would see that Crabtree was used in the slot 3x more.. Sammy ran 50 routes from the slot and had 6 catches that is not maximizing his talent or the respect he is going to command. There's no denying that. Allen Robinson was in the slot 99x targeted 24x caught 16 avg. 2.36 yards per route run and 234 yds oh and yeah he caught 6TDs ALL FROM THE SLOT....per PFF

Edited by TurnerE

I don't recall but were his injuries due to hits?? Your are selling Sammy short. You don't take a guy 4th overall and just use him outside. He is much more talented than that. So ur saying Crabtree is more elusive than Sammy. If u read the article u would see that Crabtree was used in the slot 3x more.. Sammy ran 50 routes from the slot and had 6 catches that is not maximizing his talent or the respect he is going to command. There's no denying that. Allen Robinson was in the slot 99x targeted 24x caught 16 avg. 2.36 yards per route run and 234 yds oh and yeah he caught 6TDs ALL FROM THE SLOT....per PFF

They weren't. But sometimes things like that get in the way of trying to make a point.

Edited by stony

That might work in Madden but this is real life and Sammy is fine where he is.

Lol so only in madden do teams use their weapons in the slot?! 50x in the slot is not enough. Knowing where Sammy is on the field every play is not the way to use him. Roman did use him in other places but I expect more. We can revisit the moment he passes 50x in the slot bc it will happen.

Sammy's rib injury came from one strange jump/knee hit that I'd like to see again, because I don't recall anything quite like it. That seemed odd and intentionally dirty.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me....

That might work in Madden but this is real life and Sammy is fine where he is.

coming from someone who plays Madden ?

They weren't. But sometimes things like that get in the way of trying to make a point.

Fair enough man. I'm only conflicted because I think we've got something great with what we have. Top 4 in offensive efficiency when the big 3 is healthy. But you're right, I do hope it will grow

I really think it will.

So much is based on what Tyrod can do. As Roman and others more focused on the game than me, have mentioned, Roman started to open up the passing game later in the season and Tyrod responded pretty decent.

I think G-Ro is one who likes causing confusion for opponents as Rex does.

Moving players around during the game might even get him to smile !

Sammy's rib injury came from one strange jump/knee hit that I'd like to see again, because I don't recall anything quite like it. That seemed odd and intentionally dirty.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me....

It was a dirty shot taken by a guy who Watkins had embarrassed in college the year before.

You gotta pick your spots using Sammy in the slot.

I can see it on a big 3rd and three late in the 4th quarter, but other than that we don't want linebackers hitting him.

If he gets hurt we are totally screwed.

Definitely, I am not saying every play but you have to move him around. That is what scheming is, creating mismatches and using him in the slot creates mismatches...