Skurski: Projected 53 After the Intra-Squad Scrimmage

I think Salas makes the team for 3 reasons:

1) Roman likes versatility in terms of his personnel groupings, and Salas is the easy choice for a dependable 1st-down conversion guy out of the crop competing for the No. 3 job.

2) The team ran 11 personnel almost half the time in 2015. Even if that drops by a whopping 10%, that's still over 1/3 of their plays going from that personnel grouping, which means they'll want a guy that's the possession-style IMO.

3) Special teams--though I hate thinking about it, the fact that Salas can play that roles is a big deal.

Now, to me, I'm of the opinion that I want to be able to move guys around in my 11 personnel. I want Woods to play the slot sometimes (Sammy too). I want to be able to throw a burner like Listenbee out there on the boundary and make teams plan for that 5-7 times per game. I'm not sure if Roman thinks the same way (I suspect he does), and I'm also not convinced that there isn't a guy that can be both a conversion/possession guy and a deep threat.

Agreed, and I'll add to that list of reasons that Tyrod seems to really like Salas. He always seems to go out of his way to bring up his name (or did in the off season) and GS was one of the few who made it out west to work out with Tyrod during the off season.

I really hoped Dez would separate himself some this camp but have been expecting Salas to be the guy when the dust settles.

Pre season games might shake things up but I'm expecting the WR room to end up looking like this when final cuts are made: Watkins, Woods, Salas, Goodwin, Little, Listenbee -- with Little probably getting the boot when Easley makes it back from PUP.

Watkins and Woods will be givens. It sounds like Rex loves Salas (great hands, gets open regularly).

After that it's a crapshoot.

I think Little has shown some consistency and the Bills have to love his size. He was a go-to guy his rookie year in Cleveland.

Goodwin has surprised. through today I would say that he is one of the favorites to make the final roster. there's no doubt that his speed is very attractive. What isn't attractive is the fact that his puny body just can't take the NFL pounding.

D. Lewis did absolutely jack prior to the 2016 training camp. He's suddenly coming on, but I have to wonder if his lack of experience will be enough.

Hankerson is a guy that I like better than Lewis. If you saw Hankerson play last year for Atlanta he was the #3 WR behind J. Jones and R. Smith. He actually outplayed Smith and was actually on the FFL radar for a good portion of the year. He's a legit NFL WR with good size and speed. I think he may move past both Goodwin and Lewis eventually.

Listenbee is injury and may be placed on IR.

Easley has a long way to go to come back from the devastating knee injury that he suffered. I expect him to be placed on IR.

If the Bills keep only six WRs I project that they will keep Watkins, Woods, Salas, and Little with Goodwin, Lewis, and Hankerson fighting for the last two spots.

I think Hankerson will earn one of the spots when given more opportunity in the preseason. Then it will come down to Goodwin and Lewis.

Hankerson has been something of a disappointment through camp though. I saw him when he was in Atlanta too (behind Roddy White I think you mean not Smith) and thought he looked legit but they eventually let him go and he has not stood out at all yet from all the reports of camp I read (including the brilliant Astro notes). I think he has ground to make up.

As things stand my roster prediction for week 1:

QB: T. Taylor; EJ Manuel; C. Jones (3)

FB: J. Felton (1)

RB: L. McCoy; R. Bush; M Gillislee; J. Williams (4)

TE: C. Clay; C. Gragg; J. Dray (3)

WR: S. Watkins; R. Woods; G. Salas; M. Goodwin; G. Little; D. Lewis (6)

OL: C. Glenn; R. Incognito; E. Wood; J. Miller; J. Mills; C. Koundjio; F. Velasco; R. Groy; (8) 25

DL: K. Williams; M. Dareus; A. Washington; J. Worthy; C. Bryant (5)

OLB: J. Hughes; S. Lawson; M. Lawson; IK Enemkpali; L. Alexander; E. Striker (6)

ILB: P. Brown; Z. Brown; B. Spikes; R. Johnson (4)

CB: S. Gilmore; R. Darby; N. Robey-Coleman; K. Seymour; M. Butler; S. Moore (6)

S: A. Williams; C. Graham; R. Blanton; J. Meeks (4) 25

K: D. Carpenter (1)

P. C. Schmidt (1)

LS: G. Sanborn (1) 3

Additional Non-Active: K. Williams (Suspended first 4 weeks); R. Ragland & Kolby Listenbee (Injured Reserve); S. Henderson (Non-Football Illness); M. Easley (Injured Reserve able to return) 5

Edited by GunnerBill

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills 1st preseason game is approaching. So after what I've seen at camp, here's my latest 53-man roster projection: https://t.co/tfZMWobeJv

(WKBW) - Now that the Buffalo Bills are more than halfway through training camp at St. John Fisher College, some of the roster battles have started to clear themselves up as we get closer to the start of the preseason.

Players are jockeying for position at several positions, and a few tough cuts will need to be made by the Bills. So, with cut-down day a little less than a month away, how do the players stack up?

My pre-preseason 53-man roster projection