Best Credit Cards for Points, Rewards, Airline Miles, etc.

They waive your annual fee? I just signed up a few months ago and started using it, how do you get the fees waived?

In my experience (different card), I'll call and say that the annual fee is just too steep for me to not cancel and someone will waive it for me. Flutie Flakes may have a different experience as he's probably a bigger spender and is talking about a different card. Just think of it like calling DirecTV and kvetching about the Sunday Ticket price.

In my experience (different card), I'll call and say that the annual fee is just too steep for me to not cancel and someone will waive it for me. Flutie Flakes may have a different experience as he's probably a bigger spender and is talking about a different card. Just think of it like calling DirecTV and kvetching about the Sunday Ticket price.

Flutie Flakes is a banker....he doesn't pay fees. He collects them.

They waive your annual fee? I just signed up a few months ago and started using it, how do you get the fees waived?

The annual fee is only $45 so it is not a heavy lift for Chase to waive it. I use the card quite a bit and even though I pay it monthly, the interchange they make off of my purchases offsets the fee. I just call them and tell them that I am not going to pay the fee and to cancel my card. They put me on hold for a few seconds and get back on and tell me it is waived and thank me for my business.

Or like XM/Serius Radio. Same drill every year, but they always back off the price and honor the "special rate" if you tell them you are going to cancel.

Flutie Flakes is a banker....he doesn't pay fees. He collects them.

Amen brother! I hate paying fees.

Apply for any card that gives you big free miles.

Call them after the first year and threaten to bail of they don't comp or, severely discount, the annual fee.

If they don't - have another card lined up.

Rinse and repeat.

I've gotten at least 100,000 miles doing this in the last few years.

Being an elite flyer doesn't get you too much anymore.

Lounges in North America are dogchit.

In Asia they are generally fabulous.

Edited by Bakin

Apply for any card that gives you big free miles.

Call them after the first year and threaten to bail of they don't comp or, severely discount, the annual fee.

If they don't - have another card lined up.

Rinse and repeat.

I've gotten at least 100,000 miles doing this in the last few years.

Being an elite flyer doesn't get you too much anymore.

Lounges in North America are dogchit.

In Asia they are generally fabulous.

Yeah, I get to Asia quite often. :). Shoot, I'd be happy if they comped me an extra bag of honey roasted peanuts.