How much should Bills actually pay Jennings at LT

What Jenning contract amount allows Bills to win?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What Jenning contract amount allows Bills to win?

• $7 million annually (amount of cap hit if he is tagged & kept)
    • $6 million annually (deal reached as no Bills transition tag)
    • $5 million annually (roughly going rate deals for OK LT talent)
    • $4 million annually (less than going rate but combined cap hit with MW is about $11 million for 2 players of our $84 million
    • $3 million annually LJ Shelton cap hit

Folks are saying lots of things but the actual contract deal and what it does to our cap room is where reality really exists.

For example the Bills can probably afford any of these cap hits, but as we are somewhere between $7+ million (Clumping Platelets number I think it the best number available) and $14 milion (generally the Bills' Daily number but both parties admit up front the limitations on these estimates), its easy to see that if we were to pay JJ a franchise amount we would be hardpressed to do the other things like get an LG in F, resign Phat Pat, get a back-up QB (or two) or an RB that most agree we need to do something.

Additional cap room can likely be made available from maneuvers such as trading Henry or cutting Prioleau (though there is some dispute as to how valuable it is to do this as Clumpy has us getting over a million bucks in cap room but Bills' Daily has this cut costing us cap room), but for now dealing with the reality (alleged) of what we got seems the best way to discuss this.

Overall I go back and forth on this one, but I think the Bills should certainly not tag JJ and actually should play this one out as I don't think the market will offer JJ anywhere near the LT contracts that lesser talents like Clifon and Pettigout secured at LT in different markets. Looking at individual teams, I think there are only 3 or 4 teams that have the LT need and the cap room to offer a big contract to JJ amd the Bills likely will be offering him the biggest contract offer for a $4 million cap hit and possibly even a $3 million cap hit.

I'm willing to risk him going elsewhere if someone offers him a better deal because we have other alternatives like Teague. MW or even Price as a candidate internally and now that Shelton is an extrenal option.

I know folks like JJ and I like him too. However, his inability to ever play a full season in his career stops me from advocating the Bills pay him top 10 OL money simply based on potential and our hopes and wishes. Our cap situation makes me willing to pay him less ($3-4 million) but as much as I like continuity on the OL not much more than that.

I know folks like JJ and I like him too.  However, his inability to ever play a full season in his career stops me from advocating the Bills pay him top 10 OL money simply based on potential and our hopes and wishes.

246187[/snapback]

I agree completely. I still don't know if MW is the answer at RT or if Tucker is the answer at guard, so I'd rather spend money on a guy like Shelton which would allow us to look at Wahle or someone similar.

JJ wants a 10 mil bonus, but if we could get him for a 5 year 25 mil deal with 6-8 mil in bonus money and low base salary and a 2 - 3 mil cap hit this year.

But LT usually get bigger offers then this.

I also don't feel JJ's heart is in Buffalo. You never hear him say he wants to stay like PW. Even Schobel jumped on the chance to sign a long term deal to stay a Bill.

I agree completely.  I still don't know if MW is the answer at RT or if Tucker is the answer at guard, so I'd rather spend money on a guy like Shelton which would allow us to look at Wahle or someone similar.

246198[/snapback]

the thing is we didn't sraft MW to be a RT, he was drafted, and is being paid to be a LT. Which makes me think the Bills will let JJ walk.

A list of potential cap casualies has also been posted which contains several LTs, this cuts both ways for JJ as there is the potential that someone paying top 10 OL money right now for an LT may see him as a cut-rate alternative. However, this also increases the potential for someone to be able to pick up a more proven talent at LT than JJ and may cause folks to wait a bit on signing him which will increase the pressure on him to take an offer as a bird in the hand.

TD should play hardball on this one.

Folks are saying lots of things but the actual contract deal and what it does to our cap room is where reality really exists.

For example the Bills can probably afford any of these cap hits, but as we are somewhere between $7+ million (Clumping Platelets number I think it the best number available) and $14 milion (generally the Bills' Daily number but both parties admit up front the limitations on these estimates), its easy to see that if we were to pay JJ a franchise amount we would be hardpressed to do the other things like get an LG in F, resign Phat Pat, get a back-up QB (or two) or an RB that most agree we need to do something.

Additional cap room can likely be made available from maneuvers such as trading Henry or cutting Prioleau (though there is some dispute as to how valuable it is to do this as Clumpy has us getting over a million bucks in cap room but Bills' Daily has this cut costing us cap room), but for now dealing with the reality (alleged) of what we got seems the best way to discuss this.

Overall I go back and forth on this one, but I think the Bills should certainly not tag JJ and actually should play this one out as I don't think the market will offer JJ anywhere near the LT contracts that lesser talents like Clifon and Pettigout secured at LT in different markets.  Looking at individual teams, I think there are only 3 or 4 teams that have the LT need and the cap room to offer a big contract to JJ amd the Bills likely will be offering him the biggest contract offer for a $4 million cap hit and possibly even a $3 million cap hit.

I'm willing to risk him going elsewhere if someone offers him a better deal because we have other alternatives like Teague. MW or even Price as a candidate internally and now that Shelton is an extrenal option.

I know folks like JJ and I like him too.  However, his inability to ever play a full season in his career stops me from advocating the Bills pay him top 10 OL money simply based on potential and our hopes and wishes.  Our cap situation makes me willing to pay him less ($3-4 million) but as much as I like continuity on the OL not much more than that.

246187[/snapback]

If we can't sign him to a reasonable amount,I think we should tag him and try to trade him. If Atlanta wants him I'm sure TD would be happy to work something out with them - say a #1 (just kidding)

lets be carefull with FAs. Everyone laughed at the Pats for not resigning Woody, which a lot of Bills fans were screeming at TD to. Well Woody got the huge contract with a huge bonus that made him one of the highest paid Offensive linemen in the league. And what did the Lions get in return, A Player that shows up in training camp 50 lbs overweight and out of conditining, who does nothing all year but make the most overrated player team.

lets be carefull with FAs. Everyone laughed at the Pats for not resigning Woody, which a lot of Bills fans were screeming at TD to. Well Woody got the huge contract with a huge bonus that made him one of the highest paid Offensive linemen in the league. And what did the Lions get in return, A Player that shows up in training camp 50 lbs overweight and out of conditining, who does nothing all year but make the most overrated player team.

246418[/snapback]

There's always a risk that a guy will get lazy after signing a big contract, but there's also a risk in letting good players walk. If the Bills choose to go that route with Jennings, they'd better be damn sure they can find a quality replacement. If they can't, this will be a long season and I'd all but guarantee that it will ensure JP's failure if the replacement LT can't get the job done. Just bite the bullet and pay the guy.

It amazes me that after nearly a decade of crap OL play, now that its finally starting to come around, everyone is perfectly willing to let the Bills best player up front walk. Did we not learn our lesson when Wolford and Ballard left?

246418[/snapback]

Ya, but he actually had a dominant year - Woody was considered by many to be one of the best guards in the League last year. But I hear what you're saying - buyer beware.

There's always a risk that a guy will get lazy after signing a big contract,  but there's also a risk in letting good players walk.  If the Bills choose to go that route with Jennings,  they'd better be damn sure they can find a quality replacement.  If they can't,  this will be a long season and I'd all but guarantee that it will ensure JP's failure if the replacement LT can't get the job done.  Just bite the bullet and pay the guy.

It amazes me that after nearly a decade of crap OL play,  now that its finally starting to come around,  everyone is perfectly willing to let the Bills best player up front walk.  Did we not learn our lesson when Wolford and Ballard left?

246420[/snapback]

you are correct.

the grass is not always with someone else's free agent rejects.

Shelton is not better than JJ, and MW will be a joke if moved to LT. He doesn't have the footwork to pass protect at RT, let alone at LT.

Unless Walter Jones or Orlando Pace is brought in to replace JJ, then the Bills will be regressing at the most important position the OL.

Funny how when Drew was the QB, the OL needed to be improved to Pro-Bowl. However, now that DRew is gone, any cheap free agent castoff will be acceptable at LT.