Just got a Gmail account

pm73

i just got an invite for a Gmail account. sweet! 1000mb of storage, message searches. so far it seems pretty cool but theres still seems like they have work to do. the concept is great though. my bro-in-law also just got invited. seems like they are opening up more to the general public. anyone else get one?

i just got an invite for a Gmail account. sweet!  1000mb of storage, message searches.  so far it seems pretty cool but theres still seems like they have work to do.  the concept is great though.  my bro-in-law also just got invited.  seems like they are opening up more to the general public.  anyone else get one?

245883[/snapback]

OK... I'll be the dummy..... What's a Gmail account ? <_<

OK... I'll be the dummy..... What's a Gmail account ? <_<

246213[/snapback]

its google's free email service. By far superior to hotmail or yahoo, in my opinion, due to threaded emails. By this i mean when you send emails back and forth to the same person, they stay in one "thread" instead of filling your inbox with tons of emails from that same person. The gig of space is nice too.

What's the catch, you ask?

Well, just like when you do a search on google, and you see those small ads on the right (known as google adwords), you will see these in your emails. I have NEVER been bothered by it as they are off to the right. However, I do notice that they are targeted to what you are talking about. I was talkng to my friedn yesterday about a date she went on and all of the ads on the side were for "eharmony", "date.com", etc. This simply means google's system is scanning your emails for keywords. Some aren't bothered at all by this (myself included), whereas privacy freaks might not like this (not as if hotmail and yahoo can't do the same thing!) :doh:

i love gmail. the only web based email i use, and you can now get POP access... nice.