Paris...

Spun

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time we were there a couple years back, was not enough to have a chip on the card, you also needed a pin. As Bud said earlier, automated things like parking garages etc required a pin along with the card. We thought cause we had the chip would be okay...but we were ever so wrong!!!!

So, if you go, make sure you have a card with a pin number.

Everyone uses the chip but they also have the swipe on the same machine and if you don't have your pin, they just make you sign.

Nothing to worry about. Both technologies still work.

Edited by Observer

Everyone uses the chip but they also have the swipe on the same machine and if you don't have your pin, they just make you sign.

Nothing to worry about. Both technologies still work.

But the problem ensues where there is no signature to be had..metro stations, garages, and the like. there you are poop out of luck!

tip #2 plenzmd1 has only left the US due to deportation hearings.

But they did not stick, and quite frankly did not hold much merit to begin with!

Viva La France!

Speaking about France, has anyone heard from Olivier in France? I had the pleasure of meeting him and his family over there. He is very classy, and extremely generous. It appears he has not visited this site since 2014. I hope all is well with him and his family. Anyone who does not like the French has never met Olivier

I use my card plenty of times at places like that without a pin.

In France? Again its been a couple of years since been there...but for instance we could not get metro tickets with the card as we had no pin. At a restaurant , no worries.

As much as it pains me to say, Mr. Info would actually prolly have the correct info here.

Thank you all for your responses! I had a feeling that this site would be a gold mine of ideas! You did not disappoint!!!

I did start studying French in 5th grade but I didn't start taking it seriously until college. At Ohio State, they had this individualized study option that allowed one to do coursework on their own schedule. If I wasn't ready for an exam, I took it when I was ready. The effort paid off as I retained a lot. It worked out great for me as I approached French not as a language requirement but as a life skill. I was a student long ago but I have continued to read French via the web. I am far from fluent but I get by. Listening is the toughest part for me. I do use French on the job occasionally even though I live in California!

As for my staying at a chain hotel, this option works as I work at a Hyatt and fortunately, I was able to snag rooms at the employee rate. Often times, it is very difficult to get employee discounted rooms especially, six months in advance. Some hotels don't offer much of a discount while others don't offer one at all. When I travel, I want a safe, clean, and affordable option. I was able to get a room for 92.5 euros per night which translates into roughly $105. The normal rate is ...$632. I will defer on the Hilton! Furthermore, there is a Hyatt shuttle from Charles de Gaulle airport!

I have a few days to sift through your ideas and plan things out! Then I will do a little French review and off I go! Thanks again everybody!