2.3 quake hits UK

Beerball

2.3? That's nothing.

Speaking of... check out this article that just came out a couple hours ago, about the fault line close to me. (Very close to me.)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/77647999/alpine-fault-moves-more-than-any-other-known-land-fault-in-the-world

Be glad it's moving. Very glad. It's the ones that haven't moved in awhile you have to worry about.

Be glad it's moving. Very glad. It's the ones that haven't moved in awhile you have to worry about.

It's not moving. That's the thing... it's way overdue.

Although NZ has experienced many quakes in recent history, the Alpine Fault hasn't ruptured since the 1700's. They predict over a 30% chance of it rupturing during the next 50 years which would produce an earthquake over 8.0

I've heard scientists say that it has between 8 and 12 metres of overdue horizontal movement expected.

Edited by Bad Things

It's not moving. That's the thing... it's way overdue.

Although NZ has experienced many quakes in recent history, the Alpine Fault hasn't ruptured since the 1700's. They predict over a 30% chance of it rupturing during the next 50 years which would produce an earthquake over 8.0

I've heard scientists say that it has between 8 and 12 metres of overdue horizontal movement expected.

That's confusing. There is movement and then there is rupturing. Slight movement releases built up energy and if that energy is not periodically released with small tremors then the amount of energy eventually released with a rupture is much greater.

Disclosure: I'm not a geologist but I've slept next to a fault for over 30 years.

That's confusing. There is movement and then there is rupturing. Slight movement releases built up energy and if that energy is not periodically released with small tremors then the amount of energy eventually released with a rupture is much greater.

Disclosure: I'm not a geologist but I've slept next to a fault for over 30 years.

The article states that the fault historically ruptures (in a cataclysmic way). It is overdue for one of those.

The article states that the fault historically ruptures (in a cataclysmic way). It is overdue for one of those.

Well the original article didn't mention that it only mentioned how much it's moved. The articles linked in that article however..........