SALARY CAP QUESTION

BeantownRob

Since those numbers($12-14 million) were reported, 2 salary escalators have been posted to NFLPA website.

Mike Williams' salary jumped from $726,875 to $4 million

Nate Clements' salary jumped from $540,000 to $2.5 million

Together, that adds up to $5,233,125 off the available cap space

My cap page is being updated some time today......I will have the Bills $7,418,595 under before tenders to RFA and EFA, official salary cap number. and cap adjustment

Since those numbers($12-14 million) were reported, 2 salary escalators have been posted to NFLPA website.

My cap page is being updated some time today......I will have the Bills $7,418,595 under before tenders to RFA and EFA, official salary cap number. and cap adjustment

244802[/snapback]

What about the money needed to set aside for the rookie draft pool. Is that included in your number?

244802[/snapback]

Clumpy is that with Drew or with out Drew? And I thought Nate was around 700,000 to 800,000 range. Why the hike up? Probowl?

Why did MW get such an escalator????  He didn't make the pro bowl.  How can these guys get such big salaries, I thought the whole idea was low base, big bonus?

244811[/snapback]

#4 overall pick basically. Whether you pay him upfront, base salary or back end, top 5 picks cost you a ton of money. I have to believe he is going to be restructured.

What about the money needed to set aside for the rookie draft pool.  Is that included in your number?

244805[/snapback]

Bills do not know what the rookie pool will be until after the draft and do not need to because...

rookie draft choices do not count on the cap officially until they are signed. A team only need to keep enough cap space open come draft day if they have fewer than 51 players under contract. Bills have over 60 players signed

This is related to the top 51 rule where during the off-season, teams salary caps are determined by the top 51 cap charges plus any bonuses for those players not within the top 51. Since rookies usually receive the minimum salaries, they are not part of the top 51. Thus, teams do not need to have any cap space heading into the draft unless they have fewer than 51 players under contract.

If a team, for example, had only 45 players under contract heading into the draft. They would need to have cap space available for 6 draft choices at the minimum salary (6 x $230,000) = $1.38 million. If they had only $690,000....they could only draft 3 players and sign NO rookie FAs until more cap space was found

This happened only once I believe....49ers only had enough cap space for 3 players 1997

244802[/snapback]

That would explain why the Bills want Matthews to return as JP's back-up...

cheap yet serviceable.

Bills do not know what the rookie pool will be until after the draft and do not need to because...

rookie draft choices do not count on the cap officially until they are signed. A team only need to keep enough cap space open come draft day if they have fewer than 51 players under contract. Bills have over 60 players signed

This is related to the top 51 rule where during the off-season, teams salary caps are determined by the top 51 cap charges plus any bonuses for those players not within the top 51. Since rookies usually receive the minimum salaries, they are not part of the top 51. Thus, teams do not need to have any cap space heading into the draft unless they have fewer than 51 players under contract.

If a team, for example, had only 45 players under contract heading into the draft. They would need to have cap space available for 6 draft choices at the minimum salary (6 x $230,000) = $1.38 million. If they had only $690,000....they could only draft 3 players and sign NO rookie FAs until more cap space was found

This happened only once I believe....49ers only had enough cap space for 3 players 1997

244819[/snapback]

Thanks for the info as always.

Hmm.

So, is that enough to resign Both Pat and Jonnas?

244838[/snapback]

The Bills still have many options to create cap space. Trade Henry, release Prioleau, the unadjusted cap could be higher than $86 million, restructure or extend contracts, etc

I'm sure TD is working dilligently on finding additional cap space :w00t:

The Bills still have many options to create cap space. Trade Henry, release Prioleau, the unadjusted cap could be higher than $86 million, restructure or extend contracts, etc

Yeah we really need more cap space. We have 3 must do moves this offseason with Pat, Jonas and LG. A backup RB and a TE can both come in the draft with our #2 and the #2 we get for henry. Shane is fine as backup QB.

I'm sure TD is working dilligently on finding additional cap space  :o

244849[/snapback]

Clump...I am not sure if you answered my question yesterday....but cant the bills do SOMETHING with Mike Williams contract to lessen the hit.

Also...for additonal cap space how about

- Releasing Teague...Tucker takes his spot

- Releasing Coy Wire and Reese

- Does Henry getting traded give us any room

Clump...I am not sure if you answered my question yesterday....but cant the bills do SOMETHING with Mike Williams contract to lessen the hit. 

244920[/snapback]

Reese is already an UFA, I'm sure he packed up & left town long ago.

My question: Kevin Thomas is an RFA, how much do you have to pay him???

Or does Greer take his place...

244920[/snapback]

My cap analysis article at BZ will be ready this weekend.....it covers Mike Williams' situation extensively....I will post a link when it's posted

I cannot imagine the Bills releasing Teague

Wire release saves little cap space and Reese is an UFA

Henry trade saves $1.02 million