Falcons Ask Eli Apple if He Likes Men in Combine Interview

Stupid, stupid thing for someone to ask, but equally stupid for Eli to divulge the team. Poor judgment on his part.

YEP

Gone are the days of discretion.

We strip 20 year olds down to their underwear to get a better look at their body make up. We weigh them. We put them through medical screening. We put them through physical tests--all in preparation for a multi-million dollar investment in their future.

And you guys think that the hiring standards that apply to you and your corporate careers are what should be at play?

Tone down the outrage. These guys get asked wild things all the time. The process, by its very nature, is probing and humiliating. This guy is an idiot for going public with the proceedings right away.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YEP

Gone are the days of discretion.

We strip 20 year olds down to their underwear to get a better look at their body make up. We weigh them. We put them through medical screening. We put them through physical tests--all in preparation for a multi-million dollar investment in their future.

And you guys think that the hiring standards that apply to you and your corporate careers are what should be at play?

Tone down the outrage. These guys get asked wild things all the time. The process, by its very nature is probing and humiliating. Turn down the outrage. This guy is an idiot for going public with the proceedings right away.

Pure Nonsense!

Pure Nonsense!

okay. why?

Imagine auditioning for a job and being forced to do something so strenuous in an outfit so revealing that your dong popped out.

Where was the horror then?

Why are we suddenly aghast at the level of scrutiny/humiliation these guys are put through as part of the COMBINE.

Jesus, it's right there in the word: combine.

an agricultural machine that cuts, threshes, and cleans a grain crop in one operation.

okay. why?

Imagine auditioning for a job and being forced to do something so strenuous in an outfit so revealing that your dong popped out.

Where was the horror then?

Why are we suddenly aghast at the level of scrutiny/humiliation these guys are put through as part of the COMBINE.

Jesus, it's right there in the word: combine.

an agricultural machine that cuts, threshes, and cleans a grain crop in one operation.

The question was simply inappropriate irrespective of the venue being the NFL Scouting Combine. That it took place in a football environment doesn't change that and Apple did absolutely nothing wrong when he divulged what he was asked and the team that asked him. It reflects as a 100% negative exclusively on the Falcons and to suggest that Apple did any wrong is ridiculous.

The question was simply inappropriate irrespective of the venue being the NFL Scouting Combine. That it took place in a football environment doesn't change that and Apple did absolutely nothing wrong when he divulged what he was asked and the team that asked him. It reflects as a 100% negative exclusively on the Falcons and to suggest that Apple did any wrong is ridiculous.

I'm not suggesting the Falcons aren't a little ass backwards for putting the issue front and center.

I am, however, a little surprised that folks are shocked at this glimpse behind the curtain. It's something we fans so rarely get. Why? Because players intrinsically understand what stays behind the closed door. My guess is: if they didn't, we would hear about this stuff all the time and by now would be numb to it. Just a hunch.

So, if there is, in fact, a team by team by team behind the scenes culture in the NFL, one that looks a little naughty by conventional social standards (as this incident would illustrate), then, yes, he's an idiot for being privy to that culture for one friggin day then demonstrating an inability to keep from flapping his gums about it.

Edited by The Big Cat

I'm not suggesting the Falcons aren't a little ass backwards for putting the issue front and center.

I am, however, a little surprised that folks are shocked at this glimpse behind the curtain. It's something we fans so rarely get. Why? Because players intrinsically understand what stays behind the closed door. My guess is: if they didn't, we would hear about this stuff all the time and by now would be numb to it. Just a hunch.

So, if there is, in fact, a team by team by team behind the scenes culture in the NFL, one that looks a little naughty by conventional social standards (as this incident would illustrate), then, yes, he's an idiot for being privy to that culture for one friggin day then demonstrating an inability to keep from flapping his gums about it.

Draft prospects are often interviewed and asked about bizarre questions that are posed in team interviews. This is no different and by no means makes him an idiot in any way. To suggest that he is has zero merit from my vantage point.

Draft prospects are often interviewed and asked about bizarre questions that are posed in team interviews. This is no different and by no means makes him an idiot in any way. To suggest that he is has zero merit from my vantage point.

You're right, it is no different. What is different is prospects know better than to talk about it. Am I being clear about the difference as it applies here?

When you were fresh out of college, did you interview for jobs that carried salaries of six or seven digits?

I'm certain there is a deep dive into these guy's personal lives that we mere civilians simply aren't subjected to. That doesn't justify asking about a man's sexual preferences. I get that. But to be suddenly outraged by THAT line of questioning strikes me as inconsistent, given the dive into their personal lives that undoubtedly takes place in these settings, most of which we'd have no problem with.

You're right, it is no different. What is different is prospects know better than to talk about it. Am I being clear about the difference as it applies here?

When you were fresh out of college, did you interview for jobs that carried salaries of six or seven digits?

I'm certain there is a deep dive into these guy's personal lives that we mere civilians simply aren't subjected to. That doesn't justify asking about a man's sexual preferences. I get that. But to be suddenly outraged by THAT line of questioning strikes me as inconsistent, given the dive into their personal lives that undoubtedly takes place in these settings, most of which we'd have no problem with.

The question is plainly and simply out of bounds. It's not a matter of outrage for me. The coach who asked the question just should not have gone down that road because it has no bearing on his potential ability to do the job that he'll perform in the NFL as a CB.

The question is plainly and simply out of bounds. It's not a matter of outrage for me. The coach who asked the question just should not have gone down that road because it has no bearing on his potential ability to do the job that he'll perform in the NFL as a CB.

Of course it's "out of bounds." What I'm interested in hearing is your feelings on the hundreds of other "out of bounds" questions/procedures associated with the combine.

Why are you so fixated on this one?

And if it's because it's the only one we've heard of, then that speaks to his lack of discretion. Unless you believe this was the only "out of bounds" question asked of the hundreds of guys who shuffled through there. But from what I surmise, it's just the only one the media got their hands on.

Edited by The Big Cat

Of course it's "out of bounds." What I'm interested in hearing is your feelings on the hundreds of other "out of bounds" questions/procedures associated with the combine.

Why are you so fixated on this one?

And if it's because it's the only one we've heard of, then that speaks to his lack of discretion. Unless you believe this was the only "out of bounds" question asked of the hundreds of guys who shuffled through there. But from what I surmise, it's just the only one the media got their hands on.

I think you're right.

To call this guy an idiot is ridiculous! Just remember many of the worst scandals occur when people decide to play along with the party line. I for one am glad to see someone speak out about what they were asked inappropriately. It shows some guts. When people say nothing, NOTHING ever gets better.

How is it stupid to divulge? He was calling out a team for asking a clearly ignorant and probably illegal question in an interview. You aren't saying that Apple was bound by any sort of confidentiality, are you?

I've given a couple responses, but I'll go again...if you listen to the interview he was, IMO, joking around w some radio guys. That's not the time/place IMO, so I say poor judgement on his part.

To call this guy an idiot is ridiculous! Just remember many of the worst scandals occur when people decide to play along with the party line. I for one am glad to see someone speak out about what they were asked inappropriately. It shows some guts. When people say nothing, NOTHING ever gets better.

Tough to argue with an idealist.

You're absolutely correct. But you're an idealist. :flirt:

I can't believe some think Apple did anything wrong here.

He answered a question on a show that he thought was a funny story.

The question if he likes men is beyond stupid and an irrelevant one. Whoever asked him is a complete dunce who should be mocked.

The question if he likes men is beyond stupid and an irrelevant one. Whoever asked him is a complete dunce who should be mocked.

Who said he did anything wrong?

People pointed out that it may cost him in the eyes of some NFL front offices, but I didn't see anyone say he was wrong.

if you interviewed someone and asked them a question about if they have the ability to get to work/license... and the guy then went on the Radio and made fun of the question would you be bothered?

Who said he did anything wrong?

People pointed out that it may cost him in the eyes of some NFL front offices, but I didn't see anyone say he was wrong.

I think he did two things wrong.

1. Disclose details of a behind-the-scenes meeting that took place in an implicitly hush-hush environment on an implicitly hush-hush topic
  2. Make light of it in a public interview, thus demonstrating his lack of wherewithal on the issue's sensitivity and how the media would portray it

To me, both slips demonstrate a pretty signifiant lack of savvy on his part.

LAMP: I was asked in an interview once how I vote. I'm perfectly aware that this was inappropriate. But this was for a government job working for an elected official. Still inappropriate. But I knew it was in my best interest to keep my mouth shut about it.

Fingon, you're probably right, but that's not the point. The point is the Falcons are not allowed to ask those types of questions and open themselves up for a lawsuit. It's none of their business if the guy is gay or not, even if asked in jest. The coach who asked that question needs to go back to HR training.

I agree with you, I was just pointing out to people that he's not as stupid as people in this thread make him out to be. He's a good player, and I don't think this will hurt his draft stock at all. It's such a stupid question that most teams are probably dumbfounded that the Falcons even asked it. I'd imagine the majority of the league are having their legal teams brief the scouts on what they can and can't ask during the interviews.