Rex and the Distractions

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a great name for a rock band, wouldn't it? Rex and the Distractions?

I know that the NFL requires HC to make themselves available to the media. It's part of the job.

Would anyone else, though, like to see Rex Ryan trim back the distractions in his 2nd year? Stop with the TV show and appearances where he eats dog biscuits and goes skydiving with the Golden Knights and all of that stuff.

What I feel is that being an NFL HC is really a demanding, all consuming job for the successful HCs. ESPN published A Week in the Life of John Harbaugh in 2013, the year after the Ravens won the Superbowl. And it's nuts. The guy schedules 15-45 minutes a day to call his wife and eat lunch with his wife and kid. He sleeps on the office couch half the week. He works 17 1/2 hr days.

So now, let's say for a minute that Rex Ryan and John Harbaugh are just as smart about football. Harbaugh isn't taking time away from game prep to prepare for, tape, and maybe edit or approve, a weekly TV show. Harbaugh also has a legit OC and DC sharing the game planning and workload.

If Ryan is trying to be HC as well as DC, and then taking time out for extra activities like taping TV shows, doesn't that place him automatically at a competitive disadvantage?

Pete Carroll basically runs the defense in SEA. Mike McCarthy won a Super Bowl as the primary play caller for Green Bay. Ditto Sean Payton with the Saints.

Arguably the best team in the NFL, Arizona, has a HC who is also the de facto OC. Mike Holmgren won a Super Bowl calling plays. Jon Gruden also.

I think this point is overblown.

And Pete Carroll isn't scheduling 15 minutes for anything. That guy is more laid back and casual than anyone in the NFL.

Edited by BrooklynBills

Pete Carroll basically runs the defense in SEA. Mike McCarthy won a Super Bowl as the primary play caller for Green Bay. Ditto Sean Payton with the Saints.

Arguably the best team in the NFL, Arizona, has a HC who is also the de facto OC. Mike Holmgren won a Super Bowl calling plays. Jon Gruden also.

I think this point is overblown.

And Pete Carroll isn't scheduling 15 minutes for anything. That guy is more laid back and casual than anyone in the NFL.

Fair enough as far as it goes - though I kind of feel Dan Quinn might argue on that "Carroll ran the defense" point, you might have a point about Philbin.

Still your fundamental point, that it works with the right guy under the headset, is made.

I dunno about Carroll's scheduling habits (how do you know by the way?) but I'm not exactly sure "laid back" is the right way to describe him.

It's possible to be both funny and smart. But funny smart people who are focused and put in maximum effort generally accomplish more than funny smart distracted people who dilute their efforts.

As for saying "his losing records with the Jets were generally due to the offense..." you know Rex was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator, right? Offensive failures fall on his watch, too.

Well, the success on offense this year was due to Rex then, too, by that measure. Ultimately, he's .500 as coach of the Bills.

I just think it's ridiculous to assume because he's got a fun-loving personality that it means he's somehow not focused as a coach or putting in maximum effort. When players do charity work for the team during the season, which they all basically have to do, does that mean they're not focused on the game? That's an hour they could've spent working out or watching film! Outrage!

No one is saying Rex is perfect, he definitely isn't, but then again few coaches are. Compare Rex's focus to Marrone, who wasn't even aware that Hughes was benched during last year's Green Bay game.

I hope we are on hardknocks that would be cool to see. As another poster said Rex went the playoffs the last time he was on it, so I think Rex feeds of the attention like a calf on a cows nipple, maybe that would lit the fire under his ass and get his **** together for next season. Plus who wouldnt want to see the Bills on HK?? (massive fans boo and jeer) Listen looking at next seasons schedule it looks like 8-8 at worst 10-6 at best so !@#$ it we might as well do HKs and get a cool episode out of it plus the NFL would be happy we allowed it and maybe not throw bull **** flags like TTs TD's vs the Giants/Pats v1, Hogans catch vs Chiefs and the Phantom Robey call that cost us the Jax game after EJ committed career suicide.

Could it be hes a little insecure and in press conferences he comes in talking loud to cover it?

Or could it be hes bipolar? His press conference vary from week to week. Compare week 2 vs Pats, the week after that, then the Clemson helmet etc...

Edited by fredex22

If Ryan is trying to be HC as well as DC, and then taking time out for extra activities like taping TV shows, doesn't that place him automatically at a competitive disadvantage?

Limit him to one bathroom break a day and hire someone to spoon feed him at his desk. That will get us to the super bowl.

Limit him to one bathroom break a day and hire someone to spoon feed him at his desk. That will get us to the super bowl.

The 'ol reductio ad absurdum strategy always an impressive and elegant way to refute

?? Uncertain what "carwash" means in this context?

the ESPN Carwash is when they bring in a guest like a coach or player and then he's on every ESPN radio and tv show that day one after the other.

In this case it wasn't true because he wasn't in Bristol. M&M were in AZ that morning.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I never said he wasn't putting in the time. I have said that his conduct at the podium and his incessant blustering was embarrassing, especially considering how his team performed. Talking big and producing small are not a good combination.

Until you beat pats in the playoffs and get to afc title 2x. Then it's pretty damn awesome.

Playing the results !