Bills stars on the rise, on the decline & holding steady

The Bills have a large portion of their salary cap invested in a relatively small number of players. Plus a couple of younger guys with some good skills. Heading into next year this is how how see the teams main player assets

Mario Williams - on the decline. He may very well end his Bills career without a playoff appearance.

Marcell Dareus - holding steady, might get back to last years level, might decline further. Not worth the money in any case for how Ryan uses him

Jerry Hughes - holding steady overall a very athletic talent, who because of his lack of discipline averages out to an average player. way over priced for his net production

Aaron Williams - on the decline, just hope he stays healthy

Stephon Gilmore - holding steady.

Leodis McKelvin - on the decline

Darby - on the rise

Preston Brown - holding steady

Bradham - holding steady

Lesean McCoy - on the decline and disgruntled

Tyrod Taylor - on the rise. Biggest bright spot on the team. Has a solid 50/50 chance to become a legit NFL starting QB

Charles Clay - holding steady. Most over priced TE in the NFL

Offensive line - holding steady or decline. Not really a single "great" talent in the bunch

Karlos Williams - concussion problems probably puts him in the decline category

Sammy Watkins on the rise. Another bright spot

Robert Wood - holding steady

Chris Hogan - holding stead at a low level

So far Whaley has averaged about 1.5 impact players per draft. In my view this squad of players has peaked and is unlikely to show much improvement next year. I really don't know what I would do to fix the problem.

Robert Woods is not holding steady IMO (clear decline)

I would characterize the OLine as on the rise from a group perspective.

McCoy is holding steady to me. I'm not really sure what you want from him that he isn't giving you.

Also, I would give Bradham aand Brown a decline, and Gilmore a rise on the year.

Edited by dayman

Robert Woods is not holding steady IMO (clear decline)

I would characterize the OLine as on the rise from a group perspective.

McCoy is holding steady to me. I'm not really sure what you want from him that he isn't giving you.

Also, I would give Bradham aand Brown a decline, and Gilmore a rise on the year.

McCoy has a lot of mileage. He missed games this year. Next year is likely to be down. He does play hard.

I agree on Mario. Sometimes there's a reason why immensely talented players like him retire having never been in a playoff game. He has amazing talent, but doesn't always show up. He seems to compile stats in a few games each year, and then has other games where he's completly quiet. Imo he's a great player but not a game changer. That's what this team sorely lacks. Hopefully that's a role a guy like Sammy can fill.

The Bills have a large portion of their salary cap invested in a relatively small number of players. Plus a couple of younger guys with some good skills. Heading into next year this is how how see the teams main player assets

Mario Williams - on the decline. He may very well end his Bills career without a playoff appearance.

Marcell Dareus - holding steady, might get back to last years level, might decline further. Not worth the money in any case for how Ryan uses him

Jerry Hughes - holding steady overall a very athletic talent, who because of his lack of discipline averages out to an average player. way over priced for his net production

Aaron Williams - on the decline, just hope he stays healthy

Stephon Gilmore - holding steady.

Leodis McKelvin - on the decline

Darby - on the rise

Preston Brown - holding steady

Bradham - holding steady

Lesean McCoy - on the decline and disgruntled

Tyrod Taylor - on the rise. Biggest bright spot on the team. Has a solid 50/50 chance to become a legit NFL starting QB

Charles Clay - holding steady. Most over priced TE in the NFL

Offensive line - holding steady or decline. Not really a single "great" talent in the bunch

Karlos Williams - concussion problems probably puts him in the decline category

Sammy Watkins on the rise. Another bright spot

Robert Wood - holding steady

Chris Hogan - holding stead at a low level

So far Whaley has averaged about 1.5 impact players per draft. In my view this squad of players has peaked and is unlikely to show much improvement next year. I really don't know what I would do to fix the problem.

Mario, Dareus, and Jerry - I think the verdict is incomplete right now. I am not sure how much of it is decline and how much of it is scheme. They seem to be frustrated with the scheme, so I am not ready to label any on the decline yet other than Jerry. Jerry gets my decline vote because he's always made dumb mistakes, but he's at an all time high on being stupid this year. I don't blame the staff, his mental game has always been his weak point. Some guys just can't get past stupid mistakes, and I am starting to wonder if he can ever stop.

I agree with everyone in the secondary, but Gilmore. I think Gilmore has been on the rise, especially considering how little help the secondary has gotten from our safeties behind them and the DL upfront.

Bradham and Brown - I guess I agree with holding steady, maybe a slight decline. I guess not really a decline so much as a disappointment as they didn't elevate the way they were expected this year.

Charles Clay - Holding steady sounds about right, but I disagree with over priced. Clay is a complete TE, and one of the most talented in the NFL. His contributions are so much more than stat sheet numbers. The contract is very friendly and I think he's worth every penny as he greatly impacts our run game and opens the field for others as he has to be accounted for in the passing game. His reception numbers don't reflect his value to the team mainly because we are a run first team and spread the ball around when we do pass.

Offensive Line - Definitely decline for me, but in there defense they have dealt with lots of injuries. Still, I think we need to go heavy on the OL and secondary in the next draft as we never seem to be able to keep those positions healthy.

Karlos Williams - On the rise - He had one concussion, not multiple. This kids meter is pointing straight up. He's definitely on the rise and this kid can ball.

McCoy - Holding stead as a top RB - I don't see how he is on the decline, he's been great for us. He had a hamstring injury, and those are notorious for lingering and flaring up. Its almost better to break something than strain a hammy as you get to sit out until healed and move on. With a hammy, you often try and play on it and continue to aggravate it making it linger and hamper thought the season. He's healthy now and been playing very well when given opportunities.

Taylor - Totally agree, on the rise. This kid has shown a lot this first season and I look forward to seeing what he can do next year with a season under his belt.

Watkins - Also agree, on the rise

Woods - Holding steady as an ok WR. I wish he was on the rise, but until he can be consistent in getting open and keeping his footing, I can't put him on the rise. Without Sammy on the field, he struggles to get open.

Hogan - Holding steady as a marginal WR, decent #3 guy. Again, like Woods, when Sammy is on the field, he is more of a factor. Without Sammy, he's makes very little impact.

Mario, Dareus, and Jerry - I think the verdict is incomplete right now. I am not sure how much of it is decline and how much of it is scheme. They seem to be frustrated with the scheme, so I am not ready to label any on the decline yet other than Jerry. Jerry gets my decline vote because he's always made dumb mistakes, but he's at an all time high on being stupid this year. I don't blame the staff, his mental game has always been his weak point. Some guys just can't get past stupid mistakes, and I am starting to wonder if he can ever stop.

I agree with everyone in the secondary, but Gilmore. I think Gilmore has been on the rise, especially considering how little help the secondary has gotten from our safeties behind them and the DL upfront.

Bradham and Brown - I guess I agree with holding steady, maybe a slight decline. I guess not really a decline so much as a disappointment as they didn't elevate the way they were expected this year.

Charles Clay - Holding steady sounds about right, but I disagree with over priced. Clay is a complete TE, and one of the most talented in the NFL. His contributions are so much more than stat sheet numbers. The contract is very friendly and I think he's worth every penny as he greatly impacts our run game and opens the field for others as he has to be accounted for in the passing game. His reception numbers don't reflect his value to the team mainly because we are a run first team and spread the ball around when we do pass.

Offensive Line - Definitely decline for me, but in there defense they have dealt with lots of injuries. Still, I think we need to go heavy on the OL and secondary in the next draft as we never seem to be able to keep those positions healthy.

Karlos Williams - On the rise - He had one concussion, not multiple. This kids meter is pointing straight up. He's definitely on the rise and this kid can ball.

McCoy - Holding stead as a top RB - I don't see how he is on the decline, he's been great for us. He had a hamstring injury, and those are notorious for lingering and flaring up. Its almost better to break something than strain a hammy as you get to sit out until healed and move on. With a hammy, you often try and play on it and continue to aggravate it making it linger and hamper thought the season. He's healthy now and been playing very well when given opportunities.

Taylor - Totally agree, on the rise. This kid has shown a lot this first season and I look forward to seeing what he can do next year with a season under his belt.

Watkins - Also agree, on the rise

Woods - Holding steady as an ok WR. I wish he was on the rise, but until he can be consistent in getting open and keeping his footing, I can't put him on the rise. Without Sammy on the field, he struggles to get open.

Hogan - Holding steady as a marginal WR, decent #3 guy. Again, like Woods, when Sammy is on the field, he is more of a factor. Without Sammy, he's makes very little impact.

woods is the best route runner on the team and an ass kicker of a blocker. Does little things and is tough

Taylor

Watkins

Glenn

Dareus

Gilmore

Darby

Preston/Bradham--hope they fit the system

McCoy

Clay

Hughes

Karlos

Miller (hope for improvement)

That's the long term core. Everyone else can be replaced bc of performance, cash, or getting old.

Biggest needs in order:

Right Tackle

A legit number 2 WR

Safety (I can't count on Aaron Williams now--serious injury)

An OLB Probably 2

DEs that can play a 3-4

Center (Wood ain't getting younger)

These changes coming to the D is why the Rex hire was absolutely absurd. Too many questions about who fits. Guys complaining. Just a mess.