12-8: Doug Whaley on WGR

12-8: DOUG WHALEY TALKS TYROD TAYLOR AND MORE ON WGR (22:44)

Buffalo Bills GM Doug Whaley will join WGR just after 8 AM

Whaley on Tyrod Taylor: "I'm surprised how (Taylor) has limited his turnovers, especially for a guy making his 1st starts of career"

More on Taylor: "Some of the biggest throws have been him stepping up in the pocket"

Taylor: "Is he a finished product? He will tell you no and we will tell you no."

On Glenn/Incognito: "I've talked to both of those guys and representation and put full force effort to get those guys under contract"

Whaley on Incognito: "He's impressed all of us....I think he should be a candidate for Comeback Player of the Year"

Whaley on Tyrod: surprised at how he's been able to limit turnovers.

whaley: definitely encouraged by Taylor's play. they know he has a high ceiling. also know he isnt a finished product.

whaley said back shoulder TD throw to woods on sunday is the kind of throw that lets you know he has a chance. thats a tough throw to make

whaley said tremendous amount of credit of Tyrod development goes to Greg Roman and David Lee(QB coach).

on impending free agency for glenn and incognito: will put forth full force effort to re-sign both guys in off season.

said incognito has looked better than any season he's had in last 5 or 6 years of watching him play

Whaley says it is possible Aaron Williams could be shut down for the season, but will have to see him in practice first

on Gilmore- will go over MRI results today. more likley than not that he wont be able to play sunday. Karlos Williams on right side of 50-50

Whaley on LeSean McCoy: "If anyone has him on their fantasy team, I would start him"

asked if mccoy looking fwd to playing in philly, Whaley said if you have mccoy on your fantasy team, you should play him. (love that answer)

other injuries: Bradham is 50-50 shot to play sunday. they might have to shut down aaron williams for season due to neck.

Whaley on Carpenter: "He's our guy, we're going to roll with him"

Typical WGR conversation:

​Mike Schoop: the Bills are coming off a big win, but you know what's more interesting (to me?)? Brian Gionta is on a cold streak. Let's talk about that today.

​Bulldog: Ok Mike sure thing. You're the boss.

​Mike Schoop: Ok let's go to Paul on the AT&T hotline? Paul what did you think of the Bills game?

​Paul Hamilton: well I thought they did good in some things and bad in others. They need to score more points while preventing opposing teams from scoring points. Tyrod Taylor is fast.

​Mike Schoop: well Paul I guess the question I really want to know is what did you think about Jack Eichel's assist last week? Pretty cool, huh??

​John Murphy: The bills are the greatest thing since sex. I love the Bills. The Bills do everything right.

Edited by UBBullsfan

Free agent pickups paint good picture for Bills

The Bills made some key acquisitions in the offseason on the free agent market. They didn’t break the bank, but the value they’ve gotten on their investments has been impressive. That’s why two of Buffalo’s free agent acquisitions this past offseason ranked in Pro Football Focus’ Top 10 free agent pickups list.

PFF rated both Richie Incognito and Tyrod Taylor as two of the 10 best free agent pickups in the entire league this past offseason. Incognito was rated second and Taylor was rated seventh. Here’s what they wrote.

So, Chris Brown sees fit to run this article when Whaley's status is uncertain for 2016?

There's no way Taylor's acquisition was driven predominantly by Whaley, who by all accounts, wanted his guy on the field when the coaches didn't.

As for Incognito, I'm sure the staff realized upon taking over their run oriented offense depended on better guard play. Whaley didn't do much at guard in 2013-14, so there's a distinct possibility Incognito's signing was Rex and staff as well.

Silence on Whaley's job status is deafening.

So, Chris Brown sees fit to run this article when Whaley's status is uncertain for 2016?

There's no way Taylor's acquisition was driven predominantly by Whaley, who by all accounts, wanted his guy on the field when the coaches didn't.

As for Incognito, I'm sure the staff realized upon taking over their run oriented offense depended on better guard play. Whaley didn't do much at guard in 2013-14, so there's a distinct possibility Incognito's signing was Rex and staff as well.

By whose accounts? They had an open competition and Taylor won it. Whaley says that himself. I'd say as GM of the Buffalo Bills, he wanted the best guys on the field at all positions. This silly narrative that Whaley wanted EJ on the field no matter what is just ridiculous and cannot be proven to be true at all.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Hey, if you keep repeating it enough someone is bound to believe it's true. I'll give you credit for your persistence; keep going and in another month or so somebody around here will be quoting it as fact.

Well done.

By whose accounts? They had an open competition and Taylor won it. Whaley says that himself. I'd say as GM of the Buffalo Bills, he wanted the best guys on the field at all positions. This silly narrative that Whaley wanted EJ on the field no matter what is just ridiculous and cannot be proven to be true at all.

Whaley ran his HC interviews by talking to coaches about reclaiming EJM.

Hey, if you keep repeating it enough someone is bound to believe it's true. I'll give you credit for your persistence; keep going and in another month or so somebody around here will be quoting it as fact.

Well done.

See above.

Non story. Which is why I put it here.

Agree.

Vic asks someone other than Terry or Kim Pegula about Whaley. They give a non-answer. Who cares?

I imagine only Terry and Kim know what they plan to do. For all we know, they love DW. Vic's article tells absolutely nothing.

Whaley ran his HC interviews by talking to coaches about reclaiming EJM.

See above.

He talked about focusing on developing EJ, which should have been the focus in the first place, clearly a topic of discussion but clearly not how the interview was run in of itself.

The narrative regarding Whaley wanting EJ to be the QB at all costs is a false premise, and completely unsubstantiated.

As is the narrative that EJ was "Whaley's" guy alone from the get go.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4631766-buffalo-bills-coaching-search-candidates-rumors-update-ej-manuel-quarterback-stats-numbers-contract

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/07/report-doug-whaley-telling-bills-candidates-that-manuels-struggles-due-to-coaching/

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/whaley-talking-up-manuel-in-coach-interviews-20150106

He talked about focusing on developing EJ, which should have been the focus in the first place, clearly a topic of discussion but clearly not how the interview was run in of itself.

The narrative regarding Whaley wanting EJ to be the QB at all costs is a false premise, and completely unsubstantiated.

As is the narrative that EJ was "Whaley's" guy alone from the get go.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4631766-buffalo-bills-coaching-search-candidates-rumors-update-ej-manuel-quarterback-stats-numbers-contract

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/07/report-doug-whaley-telling-bills-candidates-that-manuels-struggles-due-to-coaching/

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/whaley-talking-up-manuel-in-coach-interviews-20150106

Why would you develop EJ if you didn't want him to start?

Does Doug Whaley's reluctance to sign Orton in the offseason play any part in your judgments?

Edited by FireChan

Because at the time of those interviews, EJ was the only QB on the roster and the organization had already invested a high pick on him?

So you hold interviews based around a QB even though he's basically a last ditch effort? Doesn't make sense.

So you hold interviews based around a QB even though he's basically a last ditch effort? Doesn't make sense.

"Based around a QB" is the assumption you're making. The meetings were "based around finding a new HC", during those interviews it only makes sense you'd ask the candidates how they'd fix or develop the only QB on the roster at the time.

This whole narrative about Whaley pushing EJ on people is false and completely lacking in context.