Doc Who Discovered CTE says "Don't Let Kids Play Football"

Every time a helmet gets hit, the brain shakes inside the skull. Every time. No hemet can prevent that.

Your brain is not supposed to rattle in its skull over and over.

Sure you can get contact in soccer (headers are a really bad thing for kids to do and smarter coaches discourage tons of header practice), basketball (head to elbow, head to floor), volleyball (head to ball, floor), hockey (puck, ice, board, helmet)... but football is the only one of these sports (maybe soccer headers to a lesser extent) where you're intentionally getting your head banged, even with smaller hits.

There are plenty of other sports for kids to play where brain trauma is not built in.

If brain shaking was the problem, why isn't gymnastics filled with concussions?

It is a respectable decision to not let your kid play, but by supporting the game you are just screwing over someone else's kid.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys that buy tickets and watch on TV are just contributing to the problem, then. I suggest you stop consuming any form of football, so as not to endanger other people's kids.

No I just want people to be aware. When Roddy White says he totally understands the risks inherent with playing but has made a conscious decision to play anyway, then I'm fine with it. This has nothing to do with my love for football. And I already said I would let my kid play high school football with the assumption that he wouldn't make it any farther. I would not be thrilled if my son turned out to be a guy like Jason Witten.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

What about all the new rules, procedures, etc?

My issue is that "football" as a whole is being vilified but the game of today is totally different from the way it was when most of these players with CTE played the game.

What if all of these new rules, protocols, equipment, and coaching changes significant reduce concussions across the board? Is football still evil then?

Also, we now have full knowledge and awareness of concussions. That makes a world of difference.

No I just want people to be aware. When Roddy White says he totally understands the risks inherent with playing but has made a conscious decision to play anyway, then I'm fine with it. This has nothing to do with my love for football. And I already said I would let my kid play high school football with the assumption that he wouldn't make it any farther. I would not be thrilled if my son turned out to be a guy like Jason Witten.

Well, Jason Witten is likely set for life if he has invested his money wisely and also players that were in the league at least 5 years or something like that get a 60k per year pension

Dude people have been playing hockey for a long time now. Has there ever been one hockey player ever- not including goons who all they did was fight- to sustain brain trauma after their career was over? Do you really think Maxim Afinogenov is at risk for CTE? Do you have any idea how many football players have brain issues from one extent to another? You're way out of your element on this one. Furthermore, do you really think Richie Incognito's helmet didn't make contact with other guys' helmets yesterday?

Vegetable might be a strong word. But guys who play the gam like that will undoubtedly have CTE by the time it's all said and done, that I can assure you.

Reading your posts, I think you may be one of the biggest hypocrites I've ever "met". With your beliefs, how can you, with any good conscience, watch and support the game of football? Hell, you're even a 4,000+ post guy on a football-only discussion board. So you think it's suicide to play the game and wouldn't think of having any loved ones play it, but you're more than happy to cheer on those who do play and probably don't know any better? Nice. Edited by Chuck Schick

I guess it's all relative. Is it the majority of players? No. I agree with your point that a guy like Frank Gifford did show signs of CTE but it didn't affect his life the way it affected, say, Junior Seau. But I think there are far more Junior Seau's than you realize. I remember 20 year ago, way before any of this came out, we used to hear about former players like Al Toon, who would hear a doorbell ring and go to answer the telephone or constantly forget why they walked into a room. Jim McMahon is like that now. So is Darryl Talley. I think it's more widespread than maybe you realize.

We are certainly aware of it more now. But I'm saying these are not typical outcomes. These are the minority of players affected to that degree. It also may be hard to tease out de novo depression from CTE related neuro disease. They may not be related in many such players.

Yeah, I concede that a concussion can happen at any time during mundane life events. We know that, but football is inherently a contact sport with plenty of head trauma and that's where the false equivalency comes in.

But it isn't even the activity with the highest number of concussions, so why the big hate on football? My guess is that the attorneys of America smell big money.

Reading your posts, I think you may be one of the biggest hypocrites I've ever "met". With your beliefs, how can you, with any good conscience, watch and support the game of football? Hell, you're even a 4,000+ post guy on a football-only discussion board. So you think it's suicide to play the game and wouldn't think of having any loved ones play it, but you're more than happy to cheer on those who do play and probably don't know any better? Nice.

Ha.

1. I never said it's suicide to play the game of football. I have already said twice in THIS THREAD that I would let my own kid play high school football. I played high school football. I'm fine. I said very clearly that I don't think it's healthy for someone to play high school football, then college football, then pro football until they're in their mid-30's and bash their helmet against opposing players' helmets literally tens of thousands of times.

2. I also stated very clearly that my only hope is that the players are aware of the risks involved. Largely due to the efforts of the very doctor in the article we're supposedly discussing, THEY ARE NOW. Although it is somewhat difficult the more I learn about brain injuries, I am perfectly comfortable still rooting for the Bills because the players now do "know better." When I see a guy like Roethlisberger or McCoy take themselves out of a game and follow the concussion protocol it makes me feel a little better about being a football fan in 2015. Much the same way I still like to eat ribs even though I know it's unhealthy and I wouldn't slaughter a pig myself.

Dude it is OK to be aware of brain injuries and their correlation to the game of football and still watch and root for the Bills to beat the Texans. Most intelligent people on this board would fall into that category. So are you suggesting that you either have to be a moron and be ignorant of the studies we now have access to or stop being a football fan?

But it isn't even the activity with the highest number of concussions, so why the big hate on football? My guess is that the attorneys of America smell big money.

That can't be true. Can you please provide some numbers to support this? Did you watch the game yesterday and see the very ordinary/happens almost every play hit that McCoy took to the head? Can you please tell me what sport you believe someone is more likely to a sustain a concussion in than American football? You mentioned cycling earlier? I have rode my bike all summer along, almost every day for years. And I've never worn a helmet once (except for when I go mountain biking). Still not a single concussion if you can believe that. Every non punter and kicker (and now I would start to include QB's in that group) that's ever played professional football for a substantial amount of time has sustained a concussion. Do you think I'm more likely to sustain a concussion riding my bike or playing volleyball than Nickel Robey is next Sunday? If so, I think you need to be put through the concussion protocol yourself.

And feminists trying to remove male spaces

Of course there were bound to be a handful of geniuses on here that would equate making parents and football players aware of the risks of playing football to the "wussification of America."

That can't be true. Can you please provide some numbers to support this? Did you watch the game yesterday and see the very ordinary/happens almost every play hit that McCoy took to the head? Can you please tell me what sport you believe someone is more likely to a sustain a concussion in than American football? You mentioned cycling earlier? I have rode my bike all summer along, almost every day for years. And I've never worn a helmet once (except for when I go mountain biking). Still not a single concussion if you can believe that. Every non punter and kicker (and now I would start to include QB's in that group) that's ever played professional football for a substantial amount of time has sustained a concussion.

Of course there were bound to be a handful of geniuses on here that would equate making parents and football players aware of the risks of playing football to the "wussification of America."

If you think America isn't being wussified, you aren't paying attention. The PC police, safe spaces, etc

If you think America isn't being wussified, you aren't paying attention. The PC police, safe spaces, etc

Let's say for the sake of argument, America is being wussified. In some cases, I would agree with you. But do you really think sharing studies on brain injuries and making parents aware of the risks of letting their kids play football is a good example of that? You are aware that seven kids have died playing high school football in the United States this year, right? I guess I'm just a wuss for mentioning that.

Well, Jason Witten is likely set for life if he has invested his money wisely and also players that were in the league at least 5 years or something like that get a 60k per year pension

Exactly. I'd rather see that than watch my son be part of America's growing drug epidemic and/or incarcerated population. People act like football is a sad path to take. I just don't get it.

Exactly. I'd rather see that than watch my son be part of America's growing drug epidemic and/or incarcerated population. People act like football is a sad path to take. I just don't get it.

You guys keep inventing this straw man as part of your argument. No one acts like that. What is sad however, is to see a once proud and strong 50 year-old man reduced to a drooling vegetable or more often, someone that cannot fend off the demons in their own head. Is that the norm? No but it does happen more often than you realize. And I think it's fair that players are made aware (as they now are) that that is a risk you take. No one is saying that they would rather their son end up as an incarcerated druggie than a football player.

Let's say for the sake of argument, America is being wussified. In some cases, I would agree with you. But do you really think sharing studies on brain injuries and making parents aware of the risks of letting their kids play football is a good example of that? You are aware that seven kids have died playing high school football in the United States this year, right? I guess I'm just a wuss for mentioning that.

7 kids probably died playing football per year since football was invented. People die playing other sports too. What's your point and what does that have to do with CTE?

You guys keep inventing this straw man as part of your argument. No one acts like that. What is sad however, is to see a once proud and strong 50 year-old man reduced to a drooling vegetable or more often, someone that cannot fend off the demons in their own head. Is that the norm? No but it does happen more often than you realize. And I think it's fair that players are made aware (as they now are) that that is a risk you take. No one is saying that they would rather their son end up as an incarcerated druggie than a football player.

The straw man is part of your arguement too. How can we confirm that the "demons" these guys suffer is all CTE. How many guys suffer because they are lost without football? I would never say CTE isn't real. I'm just saying we can never quantify cause and effect so simply.

7 kids probably died playing football per year since football was invented. People die playing other sports too. What's your point and what does that have to do with CTE?

I would need more stats about the deaths as well. How many involved undiagnosed heart disease? How many involved ignorant high school coaches that dehydrated players in the heat? Etc. How many were the result of in game hits? Edited by DriveFor1Outta5