MMQB/PFF analysis of inept Bills pass rush

Going into the season I believed Buffalo’s defensive line had all the hallmarks of an all-time great unit: The players had a history of demonstrated ability, and new coach Rex Ryan is one of the smartest defensive minds in football.

This was the thought many of us were having. Completely underwhelmed by everyone's performances. :bag:

According to their analysis, the Bills are just awful at pressuring the QB (forget about sacks). Mario Williams in particular is freaking horrible this season:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/04/nfl-buffalo-bills-pass-rush-woes-jj-watt

A declining Mario and Kyle along with a regression to the mean of Hughes will do that.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Dolphins #1 and the fact is PFF doesn't help. But, it is fairly obvious there is something wrong with the Bills. Scheme, players less than 100%, aging, teams holding and quick 2 sec release or all of the above.

It's far more likely to be schematic than a decline in multiple players (of varying ages) across the front 7.

But that's not what some want to believe. Which is fine, it's just disingenuous.

Mario Williams has always had a reputation for being "lazy" and taking plays off. I think Dareus took his foot off the gas after he got paid. Don't hit me with the double and triple teamed excuse. Dareus is one of the highest paid D lineman in football for a reason. And Watt almost never gets single teamed and look at him.

It's far more likely to be schematic than a decline in multiple players (of varying ages) across the front 7.

But that's not what some want to believe. Which is fine, it's just disingenuous.

If the stat is per snap its a valid assumption that Bills do not pressure the qb. because it's a defense favoring coverage over pass rush.

Because the Line is usually in zone coverage. LOL!

But yes scheme and players not at 100% for more than one reason i suspect

Mario Williams has always had a reputation for being "lazy" and taking plays off. I think Dareus took his foot off the gas after he got paid. Don't hit me with the double and triple teamed excuse. Dareus is one of the highest paid D lineman in football for a reason. And Watt almost never gets single teamed and look at him.

He gets winded. already reported.

try to keep up

JK : )

Agree, they all got paid and now their just chilling, knowing if they invest and save properly, they're set for life.

I think this has been Mario's worst year, not just stat-wise but that too. He seems to be blaming the scheme and clearly hates being in coverage and I think that's valid but I wonder how much is his effort or motivation. He's supposed to be a leader, right? I wonder how telling it is that Tyrod talked with Jerry Hughes as the de facto d-line captain after the KC game. One thing you can't take from Hughes is he plays with passion. The d-line for next year might be better off parting with Kyle and Mario. For what Rex wants to do, that might make more sense overall. Pair Hughes and Dareus with younger players, could be same or better net result. I think part of the reason Gilmore's game improved this year, although it was great last year too, was b/c having to lead a younger player almost forces you to stay on your game to keep authority.

Hard to say whether Mario's effort or the coaches' scheme/motivation is more to blame but it sucks that Mario has been mostly a non-factor this year so far.

According to their analysis, the Bills are just awful at pressuring the QB (forget about sacks). Mario Williams in particular is freaking horrible this season:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/04/nfl-buffalo-bills-pass-rush-woes-jj-watt

I'll tell you who is to blame! Definitely not Rex Ryan! He is a defensive genius juggernaut.

All the Bills players all forgot how to play defense this year. The MIB did that wand thingy to them because Will Smith is a huge Dolphins fan.

Whatever is going on it isn't Rex Ryan's fault for sure.