What defensive players fit Rex's scheme?

Pete

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex' craptastic system as I've seen it called was good enough in Baltimore to have one of the best defenses ever. Often compared to the 85 Bears. His system was good enough to get to AFC championship game 2 years in row and good enough to beat the Patsies** in the playoffs.

I too don't like how some things have gone so far this year but let's give Rex and company a little more time.

This is exactly the problem because Rex Ryan isn't running that same scheme that got him the #1 defense with the NY Jets!!

If you recall the Bills hired the Jets DC in Mike Pettine, and he came to Buffalo and perhaps blitzed a bit to much. Still the Bills were #2 in sacks in 2013, but actually had more sacks then the Bills had last year under Schwartz. Buffalo had 57 sacks in 2013 under Pettine, and 54 last year under Schwartz. The difference is that Carolina had 60 in 2013, and no other team had more then Buffalo last year.

We were all expecting Rex Ryan to come into Buffalo and run his overload blitz all the time. Which basically means he usually always sends one more then is blocking, and the defense is usually always in nickle or dime in the secondary. This is what Mike Pettine ran in Buffalo, and a big reason as to why he had so many sacks, but wasn't so good against the run. To get a tad more complicated Ryan ran a myriad of overload, gap, and simulated pressures in a 4-3 under. This way it was very difficult for the opposing QB to figure out who was blitzing, and who wasn't.

This year the Bills defense is in more of a gap control, pass cover scheme that really is better suited for elite LBers, and average D linemen. Ryan doesn't have elite LBers, and instead has arguably the very best front four in the league. He simply doesn't know how to utilize those D linemen like Schwartz did, and whats crazy is that Jim Schwartz cut his teeth under Jeff Fisher who cut his teeth as Buddy Ryan's DC on the Eagles in the early 90's.

Rex Ryan seems damned and defiant in running this particular bad cover rather then pressure scheme this year when he could have easily gone back to his old defense at any time. In fact it looked like he went back to it in the second Patriots game. I dunno why he is doing this, and his brother *Rob Ryan was just fired as the Saints DC because he had the 31st defense against the pass. This years Bills defense is heading in the same direction.

Stats, and the past aside all I know is this years defense sucks and is in the top third worst in the league against the pass because of no pressure on the QB. Opposing QB's look like they have all day to throw, and this extends their drives. Look whats happened in the second half of games. It sure isn't because the Bills CB's are bad either, because Darby is probably DRotY, and Gilmore is more then good enough. You leave any DB out to dry long enough with no pass rush, and he will eventually get burned. JMO

Edited by Nihilarian

Marcel Dareus stated in the pre season he was being asked to do things he wasn't asked to do last season, and publicly stated he was being used incorrectly. Rex Ryan then told the media that his defense was so complex that it takes awhile for the players to grasp / understand it. What that statement is, is complete horse crap because Ryan is asking his DT's to play gap control over rushing. He is also asking his D line to play a zone blitz, and have them drop into pass coverage more then they should.

I have never been so over a new HC as I am R. Ryan.

How did he last in N.Y. for so long?

M William, K Williams, Lawson, McKelvin are cap casualties - does Nigel Bradham fit anywhere? I have the feeling Rex might like Powell or Steward more as a inside LB pairing with Brown

Dareus moves to 3-4 DE, Hughes to OLB - Rex needs NTs TJ Barnes is a fit - Damon Harrison, Terrance Knighton are free agents , Rex needs 3-4 DEs Bryant, Charles, Carrington, Wynn, Worthy would be potential fits M Wilkerson would be a very expensive free agent option, the draft has some options, OLB - Randell Johnson? Lavar Edwards? unless you got JJ Watt this is where your pass rush comes from in a 3-4, no great options pop out at me in free agency (Von Miller is on the free agent list so for you dreamers) but the draft has some interesting fits .

So Ryan tears apart a top 3-4, to rebuild another D and get fired after three years...

Rex believes in 1 or 2 big Nose tackle types to stuff the run - say bye bye to a slashing 300lb DT like Kyle Williams and say hello to a 340lb type NT. Look for Rex then to make a LB our rd 1 pick to play behind that size. Think ';the package' with Pat Williams and big Ted....: