4 down territory

bbb

There were a few times Sunday where we were across the 50 and had something like 3rd and 9 or 10. We kept going for it all and then punting on 4th and same, which makes it somewhat a not horrible call to punt.

IMO, these should be treated as 4 down territory all the way. You can just pick up 4-5 yards on third and then have a very manageable 4th down, and not do the incredibly stupid thing of punting within enemy territory.

Many times I agree that it is 4 down territory and you should try to get some on third and then the rest on 4th. However, I think much of it depends on the opponent and the time in the game.

Obviously, if you are up a score you probably want to pin the opponent back. If you are down you may want to go for it. However, when playing a team whose offense is moving the ball, giving them the ball around the 50 is horrendous.

Many times I agree that it is 4 down territory and you should try to get some on third and then the rest on 4th. However, I think much of it depends on the opponent and the time in the game.

Obviously, if you are up a score you probably want to pin the opponent back. If you are down you may want to go for it. However, when playing a team whose offense is moving the ball, giving them the ball around the 50 is horrendous.

That is the problem with 4 downs in that kind of territory. Coaches don't start thinking about 4th down until 3rd down has failed.

That is the problem with 4 downs in that kind of territory. Coaches don't start thinking about 4th down until 3rd down has failed.

That's exactly what it seemed like in these situations that I mentioned.

Or, if you know your D is not stopping them and has been getting run over, you may want to try to keep the ball. You just have to admit that you are getting dominated up front. That 20 yards or so isn't going to matter much when you're not stopping them. I recall one where they punted into the end zone for a TB. 1st play is an 18 yard run. There goes any advantage . Should have tried to keep possession.

Or, if you know your D is not stopping them and has been getting run over, you may want to try to keep the ball. You just have to admit that you are getting dominated up front. That 20 yards or so isn't going to matter much when you're not stopping them. I recall one where they punted into the end zone for a TB. 1st play is an 18 yard run. There goes any advantage . Should have tried to keep possession.

The one latest in the game, one play later - that long run - the Chiefs were right back to where they would have been if we had not converted and they just got the ball on downs.

The one latest in the game, one play later - that long run - the Chiefs were right back to where they would have been if we had not converted and they just got the ball on downs.

The BS non catch early in the game for KC and the points that followed hurt big time.

Take those 7 points off of the board and it is a different game