Third wildcard...when is that happening, if at all?

PromoTheRobot

It's just fine the way it is right now. I really hope they do not change it because then it would become kind of cheap to get in as the third wild card. As it stands though, only 12 out of 32 make the playoffs as opposed to 16 out of 30 in the NHL and NBA so I don't think there's any shame in getting in as a wild card at this point. As far as the occasional 8-8 team that wins a division- eh whatever, I'm OK with it.

Or just split the league and do what they used to do in baseball. Only play in your conference until the Superbowl. Play each team once and then go by overall record. Would need to add two more teams though for 16 games total.

That would be preferable to the existing structure, imo

additional playoff spots were never added but the talk wont go away....I would hate adding another playoff team or teams to each conference

the problem isnt the number of teams that make the playoffs its having 4 divisions of 4 teams and granting each div winner regardless of record not only a playoff berth but a playoff game at home

there are too many divisions and or guaranteed playoff berths

Edited by Max997

I didn't know that they were definitely going to add 2 more teams but I'm in the same boat as those who do not want to add playoff teams. I think the set up right now is just fine and, as others have mentioned, I want the Bills to make the playoffs in this format, not simply get in because they added more teams.

I didn't know that they were definitely going to add 2 more teams but I'm in the same boat as those who do not want to add playoff teams. I think the set up right now is just fine and, as others have mentioned, I want the Bills to make the playoffs in this format, not simply get in because they added more teams.

It's not for sure yet, but I think its only a matter of time before they expand to Canada and London. Or maybe London, and another US city.

I agree though. Making the playoffs in a watered down system just isn't the same. We need to break that stigma this year though before we are stuck in history as the longest running playoff drought before the change. Let's give it to Cleveland!

Edited by What a Tuel

It's not for sure yet, but I think its only a matter of time before they expand to Canada and London. Or maybe London, and another US city.

I agree though. Making the playoffs in a watered down system just isn't the same. We need to break that stigma this year though before we are stuck in history as the longest running playoff drought before the change. Let's give it to Cleveland!

They're estimating another 150 million ish from one wildcard game. They'll add it. They just have to figure out the revenue split.

How about 3 division winners and three wild cards . this way the forth division winner is not guaranteed a spot unless it's record is in the top six . This eliminates the bad division winner with records like 7-9 to get in and reward the third wild card to a better record team .