10-21: Rex Ryan Wednesday Presser from London

If the rankings are worthless then why use them to defend the team? This team is NOT currently a top 10 defense. And of the 6 teams they have played so far only 2 have top to offenses. So the statement that this is a top 10 defense playing top 10 offenses is false.

I don't see them. The team is #16 is points per game allowed. That's the best measure per coach Ryan (and I agree). Not top 10.

The Bills have allowed 65 points to 4 of our opponents and 74 to the remaining 2 who happen to have the number 2 and 3 ranked offenses so far this year. Should we have done more to stop them? Yes, absolutely. We certainly need to get our sack numbers up, and create turnovers, and do better against top offenses, but you have to take the rankings with a grain of salt at this point because we are a bit skewed at the moment.

FTW

I get it. The defense doesn't leave the field each week with scorched earth and bloody fragments of their opponents laying in their wake. I was hoping for that too.

But underperforming, relative to what? They're a top-10 defense having played half their games against top-10 offenses.

Let's see how much they've underperformed after they face Bortles, Tannehil, Fitz, Smith, Hoyer/Mallet, Stafford, Cousins and Fitz again.

Those, minus Brady and Romo are the quarterbacks they have left to face.

I'm not thrilled that we haven't yet made an opposing quarterback cry in the huddle, but until we've run Rex out of town, how bout we see what he does against the bulk of the schedule.

And everyone with a sudden boner for Schwartz conveniently forgets the track meet we allowed at home against New England last year and the turnstiles who made the trip to Oakland.

You sound like the guy's from WGR... We HAVE an elite defense!!! When are we going to stop making excuses by saying "hey we faced a tough team"?! We were ranked 4th last year in total D. It's time to DEMAND more. Just like a true conditioned Bills fan.... always accepting mediocrity. The time for that crap is OVER. Time to win and win NOW, AGAINST GOOD TEAMS!!! Pisses me off!!!

Edited by 7boogiewoogie

You sound like the guy's from WGR... We HAVE an elite defense!!! When are we going to stop making excuses by saying "hey we faced a tough team"?! We were ranked 4th last year in total D. It's time to DEMAND more. Just like a true conditioned Bills fan.... always accepting mediocrity. The time for that crap is OVER. Time to win and win NOW, AGAINST GOOD TEAMS!!! Pisses me off!!!

Demand?? Did you say Demand? Who the hell are you? Stalin? Are you organizing the working class to revolt? Amazing.

The Bills have allowed 65 points to 4 of our opponents and 74 to the remaining 2 who happen to have the number 2 and 3 ranked offenses so far this year. Should we have done more to stop them? Yes, absolutely. We certainly need to get our sack numbers up, and create turnovers, and do better against top offenses, but you have to take the rankings with a grain of salt at this point because we are a bit skewed at the moment.

What happens to the numbers if we remove the two bottom 10 teams that they've played- Miami and Indy? See it works both ways.

What happens to the numbers if we remove the two bottom 10 teams that they've played- Miami and Indy? See it works both ways.

It isn't about removing them. It is about acknowledging that there is work to be done there, but realizing the defense has done pretty good against most teams. Rex needs to make adjustments, but it's not the heaping wreck that you are all in a tizzy about with a number of ridiculous threads such as firing rex, tanking the season, etc.

Not to mention you argue Colts, who haven't played with Luck in a few games.

Demand?? Did you say Demand? Who the hell are you? Stalin? Are you organizing the working class to revolt? Amazing.

When you go 16 years without a playoff berth and 21 year's without a playoff win coupled with a Defense that is built to win against good team's... yes I demand to beat those good team's. I'd say it's about time.. I had ask you but you obviously like to set the bar low.

When you go 16 years without a playoff berth and 21 year's without a playoff win coupled with a Defense that is built to win against good team's... yes I demand to beat those good team's. I'd say it's about time.. I had ask you but you obviously like to set the bar low.

One third of the way through the season, heading into the meat of our schedule and you want to skip right to the AFC Championship game? Enjoy the ride. But that's difficult for a guy like you. You want immediate gratification (or any gratification I suppose).

that was worth watching for sure. Those folks that dont spend the time watching some of your shares up here might be missing the human aspect. rex is a guy .

Glad to have him as our Coach!

Top ten in what respect? The last stats I saw showed them at #20 in total defense and #19 in scoring defense.

Remember that you can't fix a problem until you admit that there is one to start with. I think that's an issue here.

seems like Ryan has? i don't know why anyone thinks the whole team knows they are not meeting their own expectations.

i should just sit on hands and wait. and then tell all " i told you so" but there is no glory in that. just start winning Rex Ryan and everyone will forget every nasty thing they said . Until then..

Free Mario!

and his brethren

It isn't about removing them. It is about acknowledging that there is work to be done there, but realizing the defense has done pretty good against most teams. Rex needs to make adjustments, but it's not the heaping wreck that you are all in a tizzy about with a number of ridiculous threads such as firing rex, tanking the season, etc.

Not to mention you argue Colts, who haven't played with Luck in a few games.

I've got nothing to do with those other threads so I don't really know why you're bringing them up to me. If Rex agrees with you that the defense has done "pretty good" then that's a problem right there. And before he says that "he knows where this is going to end up" again, he should check to see where in fact his defense did finish the last two seasons. I don't think it will be what he expects to find.

I've got nothing to do with those other threads so I don't really know why you're bringing them up to me. If Rex agrees with you that the defense has done "pretty good" then that's a problem right there. And before he says that "he knows where this is going to end up" again, he should check to see where in fact his defense did finish the last two seasons. I don't think it will be what he expects to find.

Sorry but in the mountain of BS after the loss to the Bengal's the criticism pretty much blends together.

The fact that you can't see that the defense has done pretty dang good against multiple opponents lumps you in with those people.

That isn't to say there isn't work to be done, and adjustments to be made.

Edited by What a Tuel

One third of the way through the season, heading into the meat of our schedule and you want to skip right to the AFC Championship game? Enjoy the ride. But that's difficult for a guy like you. You want immediate gratification (or any gratification I suppose).

Immediate gratification? What part of 16 years didn't you understand. Not interested in you any longer.

What part of 6 games and first year coach don't you understand? The feeling is mutual.

Let me pile on here for a second.

In week 2:

Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor were in their 2nd start together.

Brady & Belichick: their 209th.

In week 4:

Rex and Tyrod: 4th start together.

Coughlin and Eli: 171st.

In week 6:

Rex and EJ: 1st start together.

Lewis and Dalton: 70

So, put another way, in the games we've lost, the head coach/QB combinations we faced have had an average of 72 TIMES the shared experience that Rex has had with his BUF QB's.

I get it. The defense doesn't leave the field each week with scorched earth and bloody fragments of their opponents laying in their wake. I was hoping for that too.

But underperforming, relative to what? They're a top-10 defense having played half their games against top-10 offenses.

Let's see how much they've underperformed after they face Bortles, Tannehil, Fitz, Smith, Hoyer/Mallet, Stafford, Cousins and Fitz again.

Those, minus Brady and Romo are the quarterbacks they have left to face.

I'm not thrilled that we haven't yet made an opposing quarterback cry in the huddle, but until we've run Rex out of town, how bout we see what he does against the bulk of the schedule.

And everyone with a sudden boner for Schwartz conveniently forgets the track meet we allowed at home against New England last year and the turnstiles who made the trip to Oakland.

so our defense is great as long as we play half-assed QBs? but if we play a decent QB and get scorched it's not the defense's fault? The defense isn't supposed to perform against a good QB? What a load of crap. Ether the D is good or it is not good. So far they are not good, not good at all. D-line, LBs and safety play has been horrendous. Gilmore and Darby are the only two playing ball. Defensive calls have been lousy. At home, two 3rd and longs in early part of the second half and we have three guys rush but only to contain Dalton from running? he picked us apart. Philly showed how to beat Eli, by playing hard nosed defense. We are weak. Teams that are weak get beat up and injured. We are weak and injured and falling apart. This team is in disarray from poor coaching and worse conditioning.

so our defense is great as long as we play half-assed QBs? but if we play a decent QB and get scorched it's not the defense's fault? The defense isn't supposed to perform against a good QB? What a load of crap. Ether the D is good or it is not good. So far they are not good, not good at all. D-line, LBs and safety play has been horrendous. Gilmore and Darby are the only two playing ball. Defensive calls have been lousy. At home, two 3rd and longs in early part of the second half and we have three guys rush but only to contain Dalton from running? he picked us apart. Philly showed how to beat Eli, by playing hard nosed defense. We are weak. Teams that are weak get beat up and injured. We are weak and injured and falling apart. This team is in disarray from poor coaching and worse conditioning.

Our defense does not have a good day because of a crappy QB. The QB has a crappy day because of our defense. That distinction matters. Middle of the pack offenses are not guaranteed shutdowns for defenses. Such as the Browns putting up 23 points on the Broncos. The Eagles putting up 24 points on the Jets, and the Rams putting up 34 on the Seahawks. (All worse than their points per game average) I am not sure how much more plain it can get than that.

Let me pile on here for a second.

In week 2:

Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor were in their 2nd start together.

Brady & Belichick: their 209th.

In week 4:

Rex and Tyrod: 4th start together.

Coughlin and Eli: 171st.

In week 6:

Rex and EJ: 1st start together.

Lewis and Dalton: 70

So, put another way, in the games we've lost, the head coach/QB combinations we faced have had an average of 72 TIMES the shared experience that Rex has had with his BUF QB's.

Nice analysis. There's no way to "demand" more wins when Rex is 6 games in (5 with TT and 1 with EJ).

That's not what anyone was arguing. But carryon.