What Opinion did Cam Cameron Share?

JESSEFEFFER

They were interested in him but there was nothing to suggest that they believed that he was going to be as good as he is. In fact the opposite is true. There is much to suggest that the organization believed that a veteran game manager qb such as Cassell was going to be the starter this season. Things turned out differently because TT simply outperformed the pedestrian veteran qb and EJ. If they thought he was going to be so good the coaching staff would have more quickly installed him as the starter. The reality is that it wasn't until late in the preseason that TT solidified his starting position.

That's all fine and dandy, but it has nothing to do with the claim that the Bills didn't aggressively pursue Taylor this offseason.

If anything, evidence is clear that they pursued him aggressively and threw out the carrot that he would have a legit shot at winning the starting spot, which is why he chose the lesser contract to sign with Buffalo.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all fine and dandy, but it has nothing to do with the claim that the Bills didn't aggressively pursue Taylor this offseason.

If anything, evidence is clear that they pursued him aggressively and threw out the carrot that he would have a legit shot at winning the starting spot, which is why he chose the lesser contract to sign with Buffalo.

that was how I saw it as well. They told him he had a legit chance to start - and structured his comtract to back that up - when they were recruiting him. If they didn't properly scout and vet him to get to the organizational belief that he was good enough to have that chance after 4 years and zero starts, they would not have told him that. I think his ascension is what they thought he could be. Obviously it was a "hope" as well because as much as you can trust your scouting on the college or pro side, you never know until they take the field in your system. Edited by YoloinOhio

I like Tyrod, but he's not better than Flacco. As someone who roots for the Ravens, Flacco inconsistancy often will drive any fan crazy. However, a good case could be made that Flacco is highly dependent on a good system and support cast. He's physically gifted but tends to fade in and out.

Sounds like Rex received info on TT. And perhaps TT knew this when he pursued coming here.

Another reason to like Tyrod in my book, he knew he had an opportunity here and went for it.

something he may have learned from Flacco - he made a bet on himself. And may have won.

Referencing that Flacco decided to play out the final year of his contract before signing an extension with the Ravens. He won the SB. He then got paid SB winning QB money. Took balls.

Edited by YoloinOhio

that was how I saw it as well. They told him he had a legit chance to start - and structured his comtract to back that up - when they were recruiting him. If they didn't properly scout and vet him to get to the organizational belief that he was good enough to have that chance after 4 years and zero starts, they would not have told him that. I think his ascension is what they thought he could be. Obviously it was a "hope" as well because as much as you can trust your scouting on the college or pro side, you never know until they take the field in your system.

The dire qb situation in Buffalo was known to all. When the Bills signed him they gave him a contract with a lot of qualifiers and conditions. They certainly didn't give him a contract that rose to the level of an established starting franchise qb. (see below contract link). Did the organization tell TT that he would have an opportunity to start? Of course. They certainly are not going to tell him that couldn't compete for the starting position that was poorly staffed. That would make no sense at all.

TT selected the Bills maybe more so than the Bills selected him because he wanted a legitimate chance to compete for the startingas job. My position on this issue is that the Bills didn't make brilliant pickup on a stealth qb prospect who they knew in advance would shine to the extent that he has so far. If they were so confident in him as a starter the contract offered to him would be a lot less conditiona and more generousl.

There is no one on this board who is more of a booster of TT than I am. I have gotten in front of the crowd by declaring that I think that he is going to be an established qb in this league. But I strongly believe that this organization had no inkling how good he was going to be when they signed him.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/3/18/8236345/tyrod-taylor-contract-details-buffalo-bills-qb-nfl-free-agency-2015

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-add-another-QB-in-Tyrod-Taylor/eed71433-ad70-4c08-8959-a2e01e7b166b