QB quality backups??

col_forbin

I'm just saying as a backup - in case JP gets hurt, and only then. He would be cheaper than Bledsoe, no?

238328[/snapback]

Just because he may be cheaper does not qualify him to be our #2. Too bad DB did not want to stay on as a backup and fade into the sunset with the Bills. Honestly I would be fine with DB in a backup role though it seems that is not going to be.

My choice would be to get Brad Johnson as backup and keep Shane Matthews as 3rd stringer.

I'm just saying as a backup - in case JP gets hurt, and only then. He would be cheaper than Bledsoe, no?

238328[/snapback]

Yes, and he brings a ton of experience to the table.

My short list would be

Vinny

Kitna

Warner

Johnson, Brad

Maddox

whoever we can get for cheap....and in one way or the other they all can be moved.

Just because he may be cheaper does not qualify him to be our #2. Too bad DB did not want to stay on as a backup and fade into the sunset with the Bills. Honestly I would be fine with DB in a backup role though it seems that is not going to be.

My choice would be to get Brad Johnson as backup and keep Shane Matthews as 3rd stringer.

238339[/snapback]

I think someone put his Salary the next two years, and it was more than Drew. I like Jeff Garcia also.

238339[/snapback]

I would also like Drew to sit content as the #2.

My point is, Vinny would be fine for just a backup. You don't agree that he is a better QB than AVP? Or even current Shane Matthews.

238339[/snapback]

Not bad. I also like the idea of having 2 vets as back-up for JP...

no need for a rookie #3 now, JP needs all the attention from the coaches he can get.

Jeff Blake, Tony Banks, Doug Johnson...

No controversy here, but enough experience if something was to happen to JP (injury or very ineffective play!)...

Imho, bringing in someone like Mike McMahon, or K. Holcomb, or anyone like that could only lead up to some kind of controversy...

I want someone who knows his role and accept it and could be effective enough if something happens...

Later,

Pat

I would also like Drew to sit content as the #2.

My point is, Vinny would be fine for just a backup. You don't agree that he is a better QB than AVP? Or even current Shane Matthews.

238344[/snapback]

Yes I agree that he is better than AVP or Shane Matthews but that is not a choice we are facing. Someone else posted that Brad Johnson's price will be too high for a backup and that may kill the posibility. But really having a QB with Superbowl-winning experience will help a ton.

What I have against Vinny:

- Too old. I would prefer having a proven backup that can be around for another 3-4 years.

- Prone to mistakes: He is a lesser version of DB in that he just hasn't been that game winner the past few years

- We will get him if Parcells lets go of him. If you agree that Bellicheck and Parcells are good judge's of talent, that will tell us something.

what makes everyone think that buffalo is an attrative place for a backup QB?

many of these guys being talked about will not want to come to buffalo where they KNOW they will be the backup.......the chance to compete for a starting job is something other teams can offer that we can't match.......

i think a guy like brad johnson would be a tough sign for the bills.........i'm sure he, just like bledsoe, feels he can still start in this league and would at least like the chance to do so........

once jobs start getting snapped up buffalo becomes more appealing to QB's, but i'd rather get a guy in here for march, not may or june.......the backup needs to learn a brand new offense........

i think a guy like brad johnson would be a tough sign for the bills.........i'm sure he, just like bledsoe, feels he can still start in this league and would at least like the chance to do so........

238368[/snapback]

Brad Johnson will turn 37 the 2nd week in September. I am pretty sure he realizes his starting days are over except in the case where an injury occurs.

once jobs start getting snapped up buffalo becomes more appealing to QB's, but i'd rather get a guy in here for march, not may or june.......the backup needs to learn a brand new offense........

238368[/snapback]

But, with a seasoned veteran this is going to be much easier. I'd like to see them get someone as early as possible. But, what is wrong with holding out a few months to save a few bucks, having Shane be the number 2 until then and then in May or June seeing what is left on the cheap for veterans.