9-15: Doug Whaley and Aaron Williams on WGR

26CornerBlitz

9-15: DOUG WHALEY ON WGR (19:46)

@WGR550

Buffalo Bills GM Doug Whaley on WGR NOW

Whaley: "His command of the huddle with everything that was expected of him, that was the most impressive thing to me"

Whaley on Stephon Gilmore: "He's gotten better and better each year Hopefully he will take the next step w/ this coaching staff to be elite"

Whaley on the run game: "Until Tyrod Taylor puts himself out there as a starting QB in this league, we're going to see 8 or 9 in the box"

Aaron Williams will be on at 9 AM.

9-15: AARON WILLIAMS TALKS ABOUT FACING GRONK ON WGR (10:44)

Aaron wants the responsibility to single cover Gronk and will lobby the coaching staff to do so. I can't imagine that they'll say yes.

I like the confidence, but c'mon. People need to stop screwing around with Gronk and treating him like any other TE in the league. He's the number one WR on that offense and needs to be treated as such.

9-15: DOUG WHALEY ON WGR (19:46)

Whaley on Stephon Gilmore: "He's gotten better and better each year Hopefully he will take the next step w/ this coaching staff to be elite"

Did you catch Whaley saying "I told him he's gotta spend all week on the Jugs machine?"

I also liked the point Whaley made that it will take time for us to establish our run game, Taylor needs to prove he can beat teams throwing

(I don't think that means "throw to establish the run"; I think it means run run run (lure D in we're going to run) BAM! throw)

9-15: AARON WILLIAMS TALKS ABOUT FACING GRONK ON WGR (10:44)

Aaron wants the responsibility to single cover Gronk and will lobby the coaching staff to do so. I can't imagine that they'll say yes.

Did you catch AW referring to our DL as "the Cold Front" as in "so the Cold Front can go over there and do their job, and that's sack Brady"?

I thought Aaron was funning around in response to a bunch of stuff about how the interviewer (Howard?) just couldn't sleep at night worrying about Gronkowski then the question "Do you want Gronkowski, would you go to the coach and say 'Put me on him'?" "I plan on doing that today, so we'll see what they do".

I actually like the idea of Gilmore on Gronk* all game and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Robey/Darby are a decent match up against Amendola* and Edelman* as far as foot speed and quickness go.

Keep Aaron in the short middle ready to lay the boom on the under routes.

Bring the heat and let these guys go for it.

Did you catch Whaley saying "I told him he's gotta spend all week on the Jugs machine?"

I also liked the point Whaley made that it will take time for us to establish our run game, Taylor needs to prove he can beat teams throwing

(I don't think that means "throw to establish the run"; I think it means run run run (lure D in we're going to run) BAM! throw)

Did you catch AW referring to our DL as "the Cold Front" as in "so the Cold Front can go over there and do their job, and that's sack Brady"?

I thought Aaron was funning around in response to a bunch of stuff about how the interviewer (Howard?) just couldn't sleep at night worrying about Gronkowski then the question "Do you want Gronkowski, would you go to the coach and say 'Put me on him'?" "I plan on doing that today, so we'll see what they do".

AW didn't play in the NE game at the Ralph last year and it was a big difference in what they could do schematically IMO

I actually like the idea of Gilmore on Gronk* all game and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Robey/Darby are a decent match up against Amendola* and Edelman* as far as foot speed and quickness go.

Keep Aaron in the short middle ready to lay the boom on the under routes.

Bring the heat and let these guys go for it.

The problem with Gilmore on Gronk is that Gronk is a terrific blocker, so you're probably looking at NE**** going to 2-TE sets, and facing a small nickel with Gronk firing out on Gilmore, who has almost no chance to hold an edge.

The problem with Gilmore on Gronk is that Gronk is a terrific blocker, so you're probably looking at NE**** going to 2-TE sets, and facing a small nickel with Gronk firing out on Gilmore, who has almost no chance to hold an edge.

What do you think of deploying Bradham in the defense of Gronk?

What do you think of deploying Bradham in the defense of Gronk?

If the plan is to physically punish him in the hope of wearing him down, then yeah, go ahead and use Bradham to bump him at the line, and then let a safety match to him at the break point.

I would not, however, entertain the idea of defending him 1-on-1 with any LB on this team.

If the plan is to physically punish him in the hope of wearing him down, then yeah, go ahead and use Bradham to bump him at the line, and then let a safety match to him at the break point.

I would not, however, entertain the idea of defending him 1-on-1 with any LB on this team.

Exactly what I would do.

True, he is. But I'd take my chances with Gronk blocking and trusting the rest of the run Defense to do their jobs.

In my opinion, if we are "forcing" them to run...that's a win

Exactly what I would do.

Totally agree with that approach; I happen to favor Lawson in that role for 3 reasons: (1) Gronk is quick enough to make you pay in the bump zone if he gets a release, and Lawson is better in coverage than Bradham; (2) I want Bradham free to track the RBs and be a blitzing threat; (3) I'm unconvinced that trying to beat up Gronk ends up as a win for my team...it may just as likely wind up as a loss since he's got the size advantage--even on Bradham.

True, he is. But I'd take my chances with Gronk blocking and trusting the rest of the run Defense to do their jobs.

In my opinion, if we are "forcing" them to run...that's a win

They may very well do that, and if it's an obvious passing play, then yeah, throw Gilmore on him.

Totally agree with that approach; I happen to favor Lawson in that role for 3 reasons: (1) Gronk is quick enough to make you pay in the bump zone if he gets a release, and Lawson is better in coverage than Bradham; (2) I want Bradham free to track the RBs and be a blitzing threat; (3) I'm unconvinced that trying to beat up Gronk ends up as a win for my team...it may just as likely wind up as a loss since he's got the size advantage--even on Bradham.

They may very well do that, and if it's an obvious passing play, then yeah, throw Gilmore on him.

If we do go LB, I agree on Lawson over Bradham.

Lawson impressed me in preseason with his coverage ability. He is big enough to not get totally out muscled by Gronk, but fast enough to cover him (for a few seconds anyway).

I like Bradham because he's more physical, but Lawson is definitely more rangy with better coverage skills. Gronk is tough because you really need a Kam Chancellor type who has the strength and coverage skills to matchup with him.

If we do go LB, I agree on Lawson over Bradham.

Lawson impressed me in preseason with his coverage ability. He is big enough to not get totally out muscled by Gronk, but fast enough to cover him (for a few seconds anyway).

Of course, for all of our talking, Rex probably has something else entirely in store for Gronk.

I will say that I have no problem if the plan is to beat the crap out of him, and if it is, then Bradham is your guy.

This is exactly what Gronk excels at...mismatches and miscommunication. Bradham can't cover him and Gronk always finds his space in the handoff between LB and Safety. ALWAYS.

Put one safety on the field, have Gilmore fill the other safety position and do nothing but stick Gronk. I don't even think Gilmore can completely shut him down, but it's better than doing the same thing that everyone else in the league keeps failing at game after game.

Of course, for all of our talking, Rex probably has something else entirely in store for Gronk.

I will say that I have no problem if the plan is to beat the crap out of him, and if it is, then Bradham is your guy.

This is exactly what Gronk excels at...mismatches and miscommunication. Bradham can't cover him and Gronk always finds his space in the handoff between LB and Safety. ALWAYS.

Put one safety on the field, have Gilmore fill the other safety position and do nothing but stick Gronk. I don't even think Gilmore can completely shut him down, but it's better than doing the same thing that everyone else in the league keeps failing at game after game.

The Bills have to have a plan for the rub plays that you know are coming. They did a bad job against the Colts on their 1st TD of the game last week.

This is my theory too. Give Gilmore a shot. Nothing else has worked. Like I said though. Lawson is not your typical LB. He's got that lankyness to him. Is lankyness a word?

As always, the key is getting to tom* fast, early and often.

The Bills have to have a plan for the rub plays that you know are coming. They did a bad job against the Colts on their 1st TD of the game last week.

Definitely a concern. Hopefully we get the officiating crew from the ATL game last night. They were calling the heck out of offensive PI.

IMO, the best way to defend against that is to be aggressive at the line. Picks are about timing, throw off that timing and the play breaks down. You won't cover Gronk after a pick has successfully taken out his first defender.

Whaley: Taylor’s tutelage with Ravens critical
Tyrod Taylor and his coaches have talked about the value of the football education he received during his first four years in the league as the backup to Joe Flacco in Baltimore under coordinators like Jim Caldwell, Cam Cameron and Gary Kubiak. Bills GM Doug Whaley took the value of Taylor’s four years of learning a step further.