How does it feel to have a real offensive coordinator?

One of many stupid media-driven cliches plauging this team: Rex Ryan/Ground and Pound/Roman is a running game OC. :wallbash:

I think we can all agree, just based on what we've seen so far, that Roman is top quality coach. Yeah, he's gotten some good pieces, but how many have played in games? Perhaps the big thing: Roman has 2 guards on this team that weren't here last year. But, does that really account for everything we've seen so far?

No. Therefore, if we accept that Roman knows his business, then, does he only know 1 kind of offense? Does anybody believe that Roman couldn't run any kind of offense? Is the Hurry Up, Run and Shoot, Spread, West Coast or any other pass-heavy offense, inconceiveable to Greg Roman? Does anybody truly think he doesn't understand these offenses, or couldn't design and coach them?

No. So why must we automatically assume that he's going to "run first", especially with Watkins, Woods, Harvin AND Clay? And, let's not forget that Shady's game isn't Demarco Murray's game: he can go run WR routes just like Fred can, and catching the ball is part of his game, just like Fred's. Is Greg Roman so intransigent that he's going to make Shady, or Fred, act like Murray? No.

So what is the basis for the assumption? Roman did a lot of running with Frank Gore in SF. Do we have a Frank Gore on this team? Tyrod said we have only a few Read/Options plays, and that they want him to throw rather than run. Is that the mark of a "Greg Roman Offense" :rolleyes:? Does it seem to ANYBODY that we've been "run first" so far in this preseason?

No, No and F'ing No way. We've thrown the ball all over the place. Even Cassel has been throwing more than handing off.

Great coaches make their schemes based on the players/talent available. The notion that Greg Roman is incapable of doing that, given what we've seen, never mind doesn't want to do that, is silly. I've been saying since he got hired that he's going to use every tool we have, and that what Rex Ryan said about the Jets has nothing to do with what he's going to do with the Bills.

So, please, somebody explain how this "Ground and Pound analysis" isn't merely laziness/ignoring the observed data/cliche(which in and of itself represents the absence of thought)?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this

I said the same thing when we signed Pettine. He came in and turned around a defense that sucked for a decade. Roman will do the same. I agree with beef, he'll be gone next year if the offense does as I expect. Is it definite? No, it my opinion on a message board

Ha! Touché. Pettine was a weird one. IIRC, nobody wanted the Cleveland gig but he Wanted to be a HC. I don't see that in G-Ro.

The progression of all 3, even Simms to some extent, QBs is a testament to Greg Roman and his staff. The ability of the Offensive line to make the impressive showing it has is also a real testament to a true Offensive Coordinator and his staff. I've believed (and said at times) the best Off-Season addition the BILLS made was that of this Coaching Staff. Rex was run out of NY after that buffoon of a GM failed to Draft and add quality Offensive talent, not to mention refused to spend money the team actually had on FAs, but they played hard for him. No better ringing endorsement than their final game when they went down to Miami and put an arse-whooping on them - despite Rex being chased by pitch-forks and torches all the players gave their passion in that game. Then, to get Roman as an Offensive Coordinator, was just pure genius. The addition of Clay was huge, and re-signing Hughes, but I believe the Coaching staff would have maximized whatever talent they acquired. Well done Terry and Kim Pegula, well done.