Trey Teague?

What do you guys think of him at C?

I'm not too high on him. We need more push up the middle for McGahee, and Teague just isn't getting it done against the big DT's of the league. While he's improved dramatically from 2003, I also think he reached his talent "ceiling" this past season.

My opinion is that he should be a backup in 2005. Yes, he'd be an expensive backup, but also a very valuable one (can play C, LG, LT without much drop-off short-term).

Now as for a new C, I'd prefer a veteran free agent (Raiola is available?) over a day one rookie draft pick.

Your thoughts?

(Please, no one mention Drew in this thread).

Competition is a good thing so I certainly would endorse the Bills acquiring a player at a reasonable price to take on Teague or that we expect to beat him out on the field of play. However, I think it is pretty clear that the OL in particular is a unit where the whole can be alot better performing than the sum of the talent of the individual parts.

Thus I am a lot more interested in us having talented unit leadership and direction from JMac within the context of an intelligent scheme of an O developed by Clements, operating using a feel and a methodology authored and maintained by MM using talent acquired by TD and the crew than I am being a slave to the individual talents of a particular player.

We are seeing from the success of the Bills last year (and their failings under Vinky, Kildrive and GW) and the model of success by the Pats that the key here is not simply to get the best players but to get players who can perform well togrther and produce Ws.

I trust in JMac to get rid of Teague if he is not good enough and drags the unit down. JMac (or Clements/MM or TD) are not immune from crtiticism by us fans but that criticism needs to start with their failings to produce on the field and we may reasonably identify the particulars of the play of some specific player as the cause of a lack of production.

However, in my judgment the OL play is moving in the right direction and I am more than confident in giving JMac the rope to make the minimum/maximum changes necessary to continue this improvement and get the OL game up to adequate levels.

As far as the inadequacies of the OL I see Teague as far more of a solution to their failings rather than the cause or a rate limiting factor that will liberate he OL to improve if he were replace by a better player.

In terms of getting the OL upgraded and up to adequate play this off-season I advocate these actions:

1, Settle the LT issue one way or the other If you resign JJ I actually see fewer changes needing to be or usefuly being made. Commiting to JJ means committing to continuity and JMac's leadership as the main mechanism for improvement. AS MW currently has a cap hit of $5.6 million if you add the going rate of $5 million to resign JJ (though i would hope we could do less and get him because it will likely be a buyer's market at LT for a big change) I do not expect our cap budget to allow any more big expenditure on the OL even for a guard. if we get JJ on the cheap or let him go then getting other personnel is more likely, but even here I see getting a center like Raiola as allowing Teague to replace JJ rather than having any big problem with him as a player.

2. Improve the LG play. If cap room allows we can buy a better player and there are several FAs who should be upgrades over Smith (oddly a better pass pro than run blocker) and Tucker who may be of greater value as an interior line reserve for both G and the C position. If on the other hand we resign JJ at any cost, then I suspect we are committing to improving LG play by having JMac ge mor production out of Tucker or Smith (I do think that folks are incorrect to judge Smith a failure since actually I view the inmprovement he showed last year from being on the PS of the Ravens to becoming a starter for the Bills as huge! i would consider it a good year for him if he simply made a pro squad as a reliable back-up and he accomplished much more than this despite his falling short of being the starter we want and need. The sense that he actually is better at the more difficult duty of pass pro and needs to improve his run blockig actually point to potential that Smith may continue to improve and actually deserve a starting role this year with hard work and good teaching.

3. Keep MW improving. His cap hit is simply too large for an RT and he needs to either step up his play and actually justify moving him to LT or sign for a lot less money.

Teague is a secondary issue for me.

Not terribly impressed.

I dont see why you think that he could be a LG. He seems to lack the strength and push to play OG, or for that matter, RT.

I DO think that he would be an average to good LT because the position calls for agility, which he has imo. Also, McNally would certainly help his cause.

In all, TT is a very cost effective player for the Buffalo Bills. He is probably less talented and more durable than Jennings, and my pure guess is that with instruction from McNally, would not be a serioud dropoff in talent were he to step in at LT. I do not by the way ever see MW at LT. My hope for him is that he does develop into a dominant, Erik Williams RT. That would be fine, wouldn't you say? :P

As I have said before, if the Bills could sign a CV equivalent at LG and move TT to LT and Tucker to OC, I would consider this a very good OL.

Not terribly impressed.

I dont see why you think that he could be a LG. He seems to lack the strength and push to play OG, or for that matter, RT.

I DO think that he would be an average to good LT because the position calls for agility, which he has imo. Also, McNally would certainly help his cause.

In all, TT is a very cost effective player for the Buffalo Bills. He is probably less talented and more durable than Jennings, and my pure guess is that with instruction from McNally, would not be a serioud dropoff in talent were he to step in at LT. I do not by the way ever see MW at LT. My hope for him is that he does develop into a dominant, Erik Williams RT. That would be fine, wouldn't you say?  :P

As I have said before, if the Bills could sign a CV equivalent at LG and move TT to LT and Tucker to OC, I would consider this a very good OL.

237091[/snapback]

I'm not too high on Tucker, either. He's another one of those marginal starter/excellent backup type of players that we seem to be full of at OL. It's time to grab starter-level quality. Also, I am very much against having Teague shift to LT. I don't think he'd be "average to good," as you say. He was pretty awful at LT in his last year with Denver.

If we sign JJ, here's what I'd like the starting 5 look like:

LT: JJ

LG: Wahle from Green Bay would be nice

C: Dominic Raiola is my current favorite

RG: Villarial

RT: MW

If we don't sign JJ:

LT: MW

LG: Wahle

C: Raiola

RT: Stockar McDougle?

I'm not too high on Tucker, either. He's another one of those marginal starter/excellent backup type of players that we seem to be full of at OL. It's time to grab starter-level quality. Also, I am very much against having Teague shift to LT. I don't think he'd be "average to good," as you say. He was pretty awful at LT in his last year with Denver.

If we sign JJ, here's what I'd like the starting 5 look like:

LT: JJ

LG: Wahle from Green Bay would be nice

C: Dominic Raiola is my current favorite

RT: MW

If we don't sign JJ:

LT: MW

LG: Wahle

C: Raiola

RT: Stockar McDougle?

237092[/snapback]

MW has, imo, never displayed the footwork needed to play LT. Although he is one of the strongest men on Earth, imo he is still too much of a plodding sort to LT. Would you truly trust him with protecting the blind side of a hapless rookie or even an immobile Drew against a speed rusher?

I am thinking that TT with a VERY good LG would be about the same as JJ with a so-so LG. Does this make sense?

Yeah, I am all for a true OC and I hope that it happens, but McNally has made a believer out of this OL skeptic, and Tucker works extremely hard by all accounts.

In summary, I expect the Bills to improve at OL next season.

I think he's probably in the bottom third of the league's starting centers. The Bills could probably get by with him if C was the only weak spot up front.

I also think that the Bills would probably be wise to invest in one of those Mark Kelso crash helmets for JP Losman if they plan on Teague playing LT next year. He's going to need it. Teague was flat out BAD at LT in Denver.

A couple of items here:

a. Center is going to be a secondary consideration unless we use a draft pick in that area (which we might well do...Bass can play center)

b. You would be suprised at just how well the "center position" would get push for the running game if there are dominating run guards on both sides of Teague.....I think that Villy fits the bill on one side....but both L. Smith and Tucker have weaknesses in their game that prevent them from being that other dominating guard:

L. Smith....moves well in pass protection. But I think I COULD stalemate him in run blocking

Tucker.....I wouldn't want to be in his way on run blocking...but he doenst move his feet well for pass protection.

We need a Left Guard that can do both well consistantly.....we need balance on the line.

We can live with Teague if we fix the other spots.....shoot....Teague would actually look good.

Oh this is so easy HE SUCKS

237078[/snapback]

If you want Teague replaced FINE, but can you come up with anything other than he STINKS or he SUCKS. Teague is not a pro bowl center, but I thought his play was much better in 2004. I did not see him getting bull rushed into the QB like in 2003 and I thought his shotgun snaps were a lot better. We have much bigger problems to solve at LG and LT(if Jennings leaves).

I doubt you'll see us sign a LG in free agency.

There is just to much money involved in that along with signing a LT.

IMO, I think you'll see us sign a LT in free agency to replace Jennings, and draft a LG to be our starter in 2005.(Someone like David Baas, Elton Brown, or Logan Mankins would fit in well)

237435[/snapback]

If the Bills are going to sign a FA LT, it would seem a whole lot easier to me to just re-sign Jennings. You aren't going to get an outside FA any cheaper than Jennings unless he's a borderline starter.

Jennings won't come cheap.

I think some Tackles will come cheaper then Jennings.(Kareem McKenzie, and Stockar McDougle are two)

I am all for resigning Jennings if the money is right.

237442[/snapback]

Those two are both RTs.

You're right, Jennings won't come cheap, but the Bills would be very wise to spend the money to insure that Losman will not have to worry about constant blindside pressure while he's learning how to be an NFL starter.

What do you guys think of him at C?

I'm not too high on him. We need more push up the middle for McGahee, and Teague just isn't getting it done against the big DT's of the league. While he's improved dramatically from 2003, I also think he reached his talent "ceiling" this past season.

My opinion is that he should be a backup in 2005. Yes, he'd be an expensive backup, but also a very valuable one (can play C, LG, LT without much drop-off short-term).

Now as for a new C, I'd prefer a veteran free agent (Raiola is available?) over a day one rookie draft pick.

Your thoughts?

(Please, no one mention Drew in this thread).

236988[/snapback]

An upgrade would be nice. But we haven't seemed to find that position of some importance. Still Teague could play somewhere else on the line like Right tackle, where he'd most likely hold his own. When will we move Mike Williams to the left side?

After going to every home game this year, the first thing I noticed is how much weight both Teague and Ron Edwards had put on in the offseason. teague used to be around 286, he's now over 300 if my memory is correct. I think that was half the reason for his improvement. Teague is perfectly capable, and I believe that The bills coaching staff were quoted as saying he was playing probowl caliber ball last year. Whoever started this thread didn't watch much of the games.

If you want Teague replaced FINE, but can you come up with anything other than he STINKS or he SUCKS.  Teague is not a pro bowl center, but I thought his play was much better in 2004.  I did not see him getting bull rushed into the QB like in 2003 and I thought his shotgun snaps were a lot better.  We have much bigger problems to solve at LG and LT(if Jennings leaves).

237427[/snapback]

OK HE IS A HORRIBLE CENTER. DAMN SHAME HE IS ON THE BUFFALO BILLS

After going to every home game this year, the first thing I noticed is how much weight both Teague and Ron Edwards had put on in the offseason.  teague used to be around 286, he's now over 300 if my memory is correct.  I think that was half the reason for his improvement.  Teague is perfectly capable, and I believe that The bills coaching staff were quoted as saying he was playing probowl caliber ball last year.  Whoever started this thread didn't watch much of the games.

237505[/snapback]

No, actually I did watch the games. And I saw a lot of defenders in our backfield before McGahee was able to start running. His YPC would be a lot higher if we had a better LG and C, based on what I remember seeing during the season. The middle to middle-left area seemed to be most responsible for not opening holes for McGahee.

I think Teague is at best an average starting C, and I do believe we could probably get by with him provided we get a better LG. But "pro-bowl caliber ball?" Come on. Do you believe everything the coaching staff throws to the media?